Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Box Of ice

Author Topic: Box Of ice
Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-21-2016 07:43 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This article/survey made me laugh:

-

LINK

We were at the Cobb Downtown at the Gardens movie theater this weekend when we noticed that a burned-out letter in the neon “Box Office” sign turned it into “Box of Ice.” Ha! But it got us thinking about how movie theaters seem to really be boxes of ice to some patrons and just fine to others.

|  IP: Logged

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 03-21-2016 10:06 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There was an infamous photo doing the rounds of the net a few years back (it may have appeared here) of a theater marquee on a main street 3-plex, which read:

ERIN BROCKOVICH
SCREWED
MY DOG SKIP

Alan Plester
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-22-2016 07:22 AM      Profile for Alan Plester   Email Alan Plester   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember some students played with the letters on a cinema in Oxford when Star Wars first came out..........Arse Warts

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-22-2016 11:57 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A long time ago there was a guy named Martinson who had an apartment building in between my day job and a local restaurant. He was creating a new sign on the front of the building out of wooden letters. The painter had painted the letters and was letting them dry on a table before installing them. My friends and I walked by on the way to coffee break and we saw nobody around, so we rearranged the letters on the table to say "EAT ME MARTINSON." Then we went in for coffee.

When we came out, Mr. Martinson was out there yelling at the contractor about "some asshole" coming by and rearranging the letters. We just said hi and kept walking by.

That's the kind of prank I like -- harmless, no damage to anything, but still funny.

Probably our funniest marquee mistake was when we played the movie FRESH HORSES and our marquee kid left out the middle S in HORSES. I didn't catch it till the next day.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 03-22-2016 03:34 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Alan Plester
I remember some students played with the letters on a cinema in Oxford when Star Wars first came out..........Arse Warts
Late '70s - that would have been around the time Fawlty Towers had its first run, with the opening credit sequence in which the hotel sign had a different anagram for each episode ("Farty Towels" etc.). That could be where they got the idea from.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: