Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Flagship Cinemas New Bedford Removes Big Leather Chairs Due To Hypodermic Needles Dan

Author Topic: Flagship Cinemas New Bedford Removes Big Leather Chairs Due To Hypodermic Needles Dan
Paul Goulet
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2016 06:51 PM      Profile for Paul Goulet   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Goulet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
web page

Walk into some of the theaters at Flagship Cinemas New Bedford and you’ll see something strange. Some of them are half empty…meaning the front half of the theater is void of any seats. The reason may be startling. Flagship Regional Manager Bud Shepard told Fun 107 that the staff had found 4 dirty hypodermic needles stuffed within the leather seats over a 6 month period. One employee was stuck with a needle in her hand as she was trying to clean one of the chairs. That employee, says Shepard, is doing fine and is undergoing a series of infection control measures. The fourth and final needle was found as the company was removing the leather chairs from the theaters.
Flagship began using wands to clean the leather chairs, but decided that wasn’t enough. More action was necessary.
“There’s no way to control this problem. There’s no way you can pat down customers for needles as they come in. It was very disturbing. We contemplated putting plastic covers over the leather seats, but, in the end, we had to do what was right for our customers and employees…what would keep them safe.” –Bob Shepard, Regional Manager
That meant ripping out all of the plush chairs from the theaters, leaving only conventional movie seats. “We had never had a problem in the old chairs before…the needles would just fall to the floor,” said Shepard. They’d be swept up with the popcorn and M&M boxes.
Ultimately, Flagship Cinemas’ insurance company looked at the needle problem as a liability issue and urged the cinema to remove the leather seats. The theater complied.
It is no secret that Massachusetts is dealing with an escalating drug problem. Today Governor Baker signed into law a measure that would tighten up the state’s control of opioids and other prescription drugs.

Read More: Flagship Cinemas New Bedford Removes Big Leather Chairs Due To Hypodermic Needles Danger | http://fun107.com/flagship-cinemas-new-bedford-removes-big-leather-chairs-due-to-hypodermic-needles-danger/?trackback=tsmclip

|  IP: Logged

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2016 07:29 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That theatre is in a bad part of town. That's all I'm saying about that.

Paul Goulet
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2016 09:07 PM      Profile for Paul Goulet   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Goulet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Dennis Benjamin
That theatre is in a bad part of town. That's all I'm saying about that.
It sure is!
I have never heard of that problem at any other theater in the whole country, has anyone else?

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 03-14-2016 10:42 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sure it's a nasty one.

- Carsten

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 03-15-2016 12:32 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Paul Goulet
I have never heard of that problem at any other theater in the whole country, has anyone else?
Once, but in another country (York, UK), and in the restrooms, not the actual auditoria, thankfully. Immediately after we opened a new theater, there were several incidents in which staff found used needles and syringes in the men's restroom. We installed blue lights and that was the end of the problem.

Weirdly, this theater was absolutely not in a bad part of town, but right in the middle of a city that is one of Britain's biggest tourist attractions.

I suspect the problem was that the bar/cafe area was frequently used for gigs, stand-up comedy acts and the sort of entertainment that attracts that sort of clientele. The druggie crud was usually found immediately after one of these events.

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-15-2016 06:20 AM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Leo Enticknap
We installed blue lights and that was the end of the problem.
What do you mean? What sort of blue lights? Where? Why would blue lights prevent people from using needles? I'm so confused.

Buck Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-15-2016 07:03 AM      Profile for Buck Wilson   Email Buck Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Only thing I can think of is that it makes it hard to see veins?

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 03-15-2016 02:50 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes: the idea is that blue lighting makes it more difficult for someone trying to inject themselves intravenously to find a vein to insert their needle into. Its use is somewhat controversial, with opponents arguing that it forces addicts to inject themselves in other, less safe spaces. We were advised to install blue lights by the local police after several incidents in which staff found used syringes and needles in the men's restroom, and did so without questioning that advice. It certainly worked as far as our objective was concerned (stopping drug users from injecting themselves on our premises).

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 03-15-2016 04:23 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Those blue lights seem to be somewhat on the decline, although they're pretty effective, it doesn't give a very comfortable feel and actually gives the wrong impression to visitors. A local municipality here tried to use classical music in a tunnel known to be frequented by drugs addicts, the result was a somewhat spectacular failure: some addicts were pretty pleased with the repertoire on offer...

Still, I don't get this needle problem... You'd say that an auditorium in the average cinema is one of the least suitable environments for such activities, given its relative darkness and the simple fact that you're probably not alone.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 03-16-2016 01:39 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Marcel Birgelen
A local municipality here tried to use classical music in a tunnel known to be frequented by drugs addicts, the result was a somewhat spectacular failure: some addicts were pretty pleased with the repertoire on offer...
Ironic, really: Mozart, Schubert, Wagner and Debussy all partook of illicit substances pretty liberally, and those are just the ones I can think of off the top of my head...

Eric Hooper
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-17-2016 11:58 AM      Profile for Eric Hooper   Email Eric Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Barry Manilow and Taylor Swift might have worked better.....

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-18-2016 01:13 AM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
LOL - with the old seats the needles would just fall to the floor and get swept up with the popcorn and candy boxes - so matter of fact - just another day at the multiplex!

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 03-18-2016 08:51 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Eric Hooper
Barry Manilow and Taylor Swift might have worked better.....
Taylor Swift would certainly be enough to make me go cold turkey.

You could have fun compiling a playlist for piped music to play in corridors and public restrooms. Because I Got High immediately followed by Another One Bites the Dust would be appropriate.

Scott Jentsch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-21-2016 09:23 AM      Profile for Scott Jentsch   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Jentsch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Flagship Cinemas to close New Bedford theater in August

By Eric Bosco

Posted Mar. 16, 2016 at 7:16 PM
Updated Mar 16, 2016 at 7:17 PM

NEW BEDFORD — Flagship Cinemas will close its New Bedford theater by Aug. 31 and the company's CEO said the decision was made in part because he believes the city no longer wants to host a movie theater.

"Unbeknownst to me, the landlord, they rezoned the space to industrial about two and a half years ago and city officials wanted nothing to do with a movie theater anymore," said Flagship Cinemas CEO John Crowley by phone Wednesday. Crowley said he has had no contact with city officials.

Mayor Jon Mitchell, however, said he believes the decision to close the theater was likely business-related, highlighting what he described as the success of AMC's Dartmouth theater complex.

He said he did not know any specifics about the re-zoning Crowley alleged caused the closure. "The only re-zoning I can think of in that area would be when we made it multi-use to make it a possible train stop for the SouthCoast Rail Project and I think that would have had an effect quite to the contrary of what he's saying," Mitchell said. "I'm disappointed it's closing, I was just there within the last month."

Mitchell was referring to a change made after a September 2013 planning proposal to re-zone a group of plazas off of Kings Highway, including one which contained Flagship Cinemas, to "industrial A," which allowed the buildings to be used for transportation terminals, manufacturing or warehousing in addition to businesses.

At the time, Ward 1 City Councilor James Oliveira said the proposal would "add flexibility" but could not recall any specifics when reached by phone Wednesday. He said he did not believe city officials had any plans to get rid of the theater.

Planning officials could not be reached by The Standard-Times before deadline Wednesday.

The New Bedford cinema made headlines Tuesday when a former manager at the company was interviewed by WBSM and said that multiple hypodermic needles were found when workers cleaned the theater's plush seats. The manager, who Crowley said resigned in recent weeks for undisclosed reasons, also said one worker was stuck by a needle while cleaning.

Crowley said the worker was treated at the hospital and did not suffer a serious injury. He added that a total of three needles were discovered in a 14-month period when the theater installed and removed the leather seats.

web page

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: