Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Ang Lee Shooting 120fps (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Ang Lee Shooting 120fps
Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 03-07-2016 02:08 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
In an effort to make his Iraq War satire look more like GoPro footage of your nephew’s backyard birthday party, Ang Lee has shot his new film Billy Lynn’s Halftime Walk at a whopping 120 frames per second. According to The Hollywood Reporter, Lee will preview footage from the movie for the first time in its intended 4K, 3D, 120-fps format during his April 16 keynote speech at the NAB Show’s Future of Cinema Conference in Las Vegas.

The film, based on the 2012 book of same name, recounts the true story of Billy Lynn and the rest of his company as they survive a heated firefight in Iraq. A video of them goes viral, and they become so famous that the Bush administration brings them home for a two-week goodwill tour. Ultimately, the soldiers end up participating in a Thanksgiving halftime performance by Destiny’s Child at a Cowboys-Bears game.

Although the majority of films are shot at 24 fps, Peter Jackson shot The Hobbit in 48 fps, which a lot of people found jarring and akin to a cheesy, staged performance during non-spectacle scenes. It’s likely that 120 fps could compound that problem, but with set pieces that take place in the middle of a firefight and an NFL game, it’s sort of understandable why Lee would choose this film to experiment with the format. The cast includes Vin Diesel, Chris Tucker, Kristen Stewart, Garrett Hedlund, and Steve Martin. Sony plans to release the movie in November, which gives everyone enough time to either study up on how frame rate affects the viewing experience or relearn all the lyrics to “Bug A Boo.”

AV Club

|  IP: Logged

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-07-2016 02:27 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...and I hope they release it in 70mm at that frame rate.

That would be fun! [Eek!]

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 03-07-2016 03:09 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That would mean a changeover about every three minutes.

Buck Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-09-2016 07:05 AM      Profile for Buck Wilson   Email Buck Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What projectors can even do 4k 3D 120fps?

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-09-2016 08:01 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good question Buck.
But I think the 'bottleneck' would more be on the server
and the data transport link(s) between it and the projector.
Seems to me 4k/3D/120 would take a helluvalotta bandwidth.
I'm sure someone here on FT can quote the actual numbers.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 03-09-2016 08:12 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Vin Diesel, Chris Tucker, Kristen Stewart, Garrett Hedlund, and Steve Martin
Great cast!

We discussed the 4k/120Hz issues here:

http://www.film-tech.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=16;t=001947#000000

and here:

http://www.film-tech.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=16;t=001540#000000

Currently there is no DCI system available than can actually play 4k/120Hz, however, Christies Mirage (which shares a lot with the Christie 4k DCI DLPs) can do it. You still need a special (again non-DCI) server for playout.

This feature certainly is not intended to be played back at the capture rate at cinemas. It will probably come down to 2k/60Hz 3D releases.

IMAX Laser could play 4k/60fps 3D, though I am not sure wether their current gear is already capable of really doing it software wise.

- Carsten

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 03-10-2016 06:18 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe Barco's ICMP can handle 4K/3D/60fps. And that is the current best (in terms of format capability) the industry has.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 03-10-2016 07:49 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Barco Alchemy ICMP can do 4K/3D/60fps and 2K/3D/120fps. Officially, 4K/2D/120fps is not supported, but maybe it can be achieved using a software update. If so, you could probably also do 4K/3D/120fps using a dual-projector setup.

Not sure what the Christie based Dolby Cinema setup could do.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 03-10-2016 10:06 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Instead of upping the frame rate to levels no d-cinema system or consumer playback platform can support why not use all that extra bandwidth in shooting to up the color bit depth instead?

If a video camera's 4K footage had something like 20, 24 or even 32 bits per RGB color channel it would provide a huge amount of latitude for things like high dynamic range imagery or highly stylized color grading schemes all while doing more to eliminate the videotape look from the imagery. All of that is something that would be more visible in the end product across all platforms.

120fps content would only be able to work theoretically in just a few theaters. I'm not sure what the appeal would be in this. Are they wanting the look of the movie to be like the viewers think they're playing Call of Duty on a Playstation 4?

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 03-10-2016 02:23 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
120fps for feature length...interesting.

Lots of HD space going to be needed for both LMS and server, and major ingest time.

Ang Lee must have Petabyte storage drives.

-Monte

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-12-2016 12:56 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yawn.... Things looked like shit at 60 fps the last time this was done. When will people learn....?

Mark

Harold Hallikainen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-12-2016 01:14 PM      Profile for Harold Hallikainen   Author's Homepage   Email Harold Hallikainen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is motion blur what makes something look "cinematic?" I've heard that high frame rate is either "like looking out a window" or "like watching television."

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 03-12-2016 03:26 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The film-look is not rooted in blur or the lack thereof. It's not all about shooting at 24 frames per second either. I've seen plenty of video camera sourced movies shot at 24fps where the look of soap operas and the six o'clock news still managed to bake itself into the imagery. 24fps judder alone does not equal cinema.

I think the cinematic look is all about the kinds of color and contrast present in the film stocks. High frame rate film, such as Showscan, can be confused for having a sort of video look. But I think the real issue is high frame rate formats like Showscan can deliver imagery that looks too much like we see things through our own eyes in real life.

Video cameras and color grading software have both made improvements over the past decade. However, I think we're still in a pretty crude place in terms of the technology. If the video cameras can record raw footage with about double the bit depth and the image sensors can get a good bit faster and more intelligent about handling low light then mimicking the film look convincingly and even maintaining the look at higher frame rates won't be quite so difficult. And maybe the technology will get good enough to where the cameras do more to imitate the look of human eyesight rather than pretentiously imitating film.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 04-01-2016 10:32 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
If a video camera's 4K footage had something like 20, 24 or even 32 bits per RGB color channel it would provide a huge amount of latitude for things like high dynamic range imagery or highly stylized color grading schemes all while doing more to eliminate the videotape look from the imagery. All of that is something that would be more visible in the end product across all platforms.
Would the digital projectors be able to reproduce that expanded color space?

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 04-01-2016 04:15 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..prob, more like data speed to the projector..

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: