Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » 88th Academy Awards Results (2016) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: 88th Academy Awards Results (2016)
Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 02-29-2016 04:05 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is the full list of awards, nominees and results. Nominees are listed per award, the winner is indicated in bold.

Best Picture

Spotlight – Michael Sugar, Steve Golin, Nicole Rocklin, and Blye Pagon Faust
The Big Short – Brad Pitt, Dede Gardner, and Jeremy Kleiner
Bridge of Spies – Steven Spielberg, Marc Platt, and Kristie Macosko Krieger
Brooklyn – Finola Dwyer and Amanda Posey
Mad Max: Fury Road – Doug Mitchell and George Miller
The Martian – Simon Kinberg, Ridley Scott, Michael Schaefer, and Mark Huffam
The Revenant – Arnon Milchan, Steve Golin, Alejandro G. Ińárritu, Mary Parent, and Keith Redmon
Room – Ed Guiney

Best Director

Alejandro G. Ińárritu – The Revenant
Adam McKay – The Big Short
George Miller – Mad Max: Fury Road
Lenny Abrahamson – Room
Tom McCarthy – Spotlight

Best Actor

Leonardo DiCaprio – The Revenant as Hugh Glass
Bryan Cranston – Trumbo as Dalton Trumbo
Matt Damon – The Martian as Mark Watney
Michael Fassbender – Steve Jobs as Steve Jobs
Eddie Redmayne – The Danish Girl as Lili Elbe

Best Actress

Brie Larson – Room as Joy "Ma" Newsome
Cate Blanchett – Carol as Carol Aird
Jennifer Lawrence – Joy as Joy Mangano
Charlotte Rampling – 45 Years as Kate Mercer
Saoirse Ronan – Brooklyn as Eilis Lacey

Best Supporting Actor

Mark Rylance – Bridge of Spies as Rudolf Abel
Christian Bale – The Big Short as Michael Burry
Tom Hardy – The Revenant as John Fitzgerald
Mark Ruffalo – Spotlight as Michael Rezendes
Sylvester Stallone – Creed as Rocky Balboa

Best Supporting Actress

Alicia Vikander – The Danish Girl as Gerda Wegener
Jennifer Jason Leigh – The Hateful Eight as Daisy Domergue
Rooney Mara – Carol as Therese Belivet
Rachel McAdams – Spotlight as Sacha Pfeiffer
Kate Winslet – Steve Jobs as Joanna Hoffman

Best Original Screenplay

Spotlight – Tom McCarthy and Josh Singer
Bridge of Spies – Matt Charman, Ethan Coen, and Joel Coen
Ex Machina – Alex Garland
Inside Out – Pete Docter, Meg LeFauve, Josh Cooley, and Ronnie del Carmen
Straight Outta Compton – Jonathan Herman, Andrea Berloff, S. Leigh Savidge, and Alan Wenkus

Best Adapted Screenplay

The Big Short – Adam McKay and Charles Randolph from The Big Short by Michael Lewis
Brooklyn – Nick Hornby from Brooklyn by Colm Tóibín
Carol – Phyllis Nagy from The Price of Salt by Patricia Highsmith
The Martian – Drew Goddard from The Martian by Andy Weir
Room – Emma Donoghue from Room by Emma Donoghue

Best Animated Feature Film

Inside Out – Pete Docter and Jonas Rivera
Anomalisa – Charlie Kaufman, Duke Johnson, and Rosa Tran
Boy & the World – Alę Abreu
Shaun the Sheep Movie – Mark Burton and Richard Starzak
When Marnie Was There – Hiromasa Yonebayashi and Yoshiaki Nishimura

Best Foreign Language Film

Son of Saul (Hungary) in Hungarian – László Nemesdouble-dagger
Embrace of the Serpent (Colombia) in Spanish – Ciro Guerra
Mustang (France) in Turkish – Deniz Gamze Ergüven
Theeb (Jordan) in Arabic – Naji Abu Nowar
A War (Denmark) in Danish – Tobias Lindholm

Best Documentary – Feature

Amy – Asif Kapadia and James Gay-Reesdouble-dagger
Cartel Land – Matthew Heineman and Tom Yellin
The Look of Silence – Joshua Oppenheimer and Signe Byrge Sřrensen
What Happened, Miss Simone? – Liz Garbus, Amy Hobby, and Justin Wilkes
Winter on Fire: Ukraine's Fight for Freedom – Evgeny Afineevsky and Den Tolmor

Best Documentary – Short Subject

A Girl in the River: The Price of Forgiveness – Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy
Body Team 12 – David Darg and Bryn Mooser
Chau, Beyond the Lines – Courtney Marsh and Jerry Franck
Claude Lanzmann: Spectres of the Shoah – Adam Benzine
Last Day of Freedom – Dee Hibbert-Jones and Nomi Talisman

Best Live Action Short Film

Stutterer – Benjamin Cleary and Serena Armitage
Ave Maria – Eric Dupont and Basil Khalil
Day One – Henry Hughes
Everything Will Be Okay – Patrick Vollrath
Shok – Jamie Donoughue

Best Animated Short Film

Bear Story – Pato Escala Pierart and Gabriel Osorio Vargas
Prologue – Imogen Sutton and Richard Williams
Sanjay's Super Team – Nicole Paradis Grindle and Sanjay Patel
We Can't Live Without Cosmos – Konstantin Bronzit
World of Tomorrow – Don Hertzfeldt

Best Original Score

The Hateful Eight – Ennio Morriconedouble-dagger
Bridge of Spies – Thomas Newman
Carol – Carter Burwell
Sicario – Jóhann Jóhannsson
Star Wars: The Force Awakens – John Williams

Best Original Song

"Writing's on the Wall" from Spectre – Music and Lyric by Jimmy Napes and Sam Smith
"Earned It" from Fifty Shades of Grey – Music and Lyric by Ahamad Balshe (Belly), and others
"Manta Ray" from Racing Extinction – Music by J. Ralph, Lyric by Antony Hegarty
"Simple Song #3" from Youth – Music and Lyric by David Lang
"Til It Happens to You" from The Hunting Ground – Music and Lyric by Lady Gaga and Diane Warren

Best Sound Editing

Mad Max: Fury Road – Mark A. Mangini and David White
The Martian – Oliver Tarney
The Revenant – Martin Hernández and Lon Bender
Sicario – Alan Robert Murray
Star Wars: The Force Awakens – Matthew Wood and David Acord

Best Sound Mixing

Mad Max: Fury Road – Chris Jenkins, Gregg Rudloff, and Ben Osmo
Bridge of Spies – Andy Nelson, Gary Rydstrom, and Drew Kunin
The Martian – Paul Massey, Mark Taylor, and Mac Ruth
The Revenant – Jon Taylor, Frank A. Montańo, Randy Thom, and Chris Duesterdiek
Star Wars: The Force Awakens – Andy Nelson, Christopher Scarabosio, and Stuart Wilson

Best Production Design

Mad Max: Fury Road – Colin Gibson and Lisa Thompson
Bridge of Spies – Rena DeAngelo, Bernhard Henrich, and Adam Stockhausen
The Danish Girl – Michael Standish and Eve Stewart
The Martian – Celia Bobak and Arthur Max
The Revenant – Jack Fisk and Hamish Purdy

Best Cinematography

The Revenant – Emmanuel Lubezki
Carol – Ed Lachman
The Hateful Eight – Robert Richardson
Mad Max: Fury Road – John Seale
Sicario – Roger Deakins

Best Makeup and Hairstyling

Mad Max: Fury Road – Lesley Vanderwalt, Elka Wardega, and Damian Martin
The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared – Love Larson and Eva von Bahr
The Revenant – Siân Grigg, Duncan Jarman, and Robert Pandini

Best Costume Design

Mad Max: Fury Road – Jenny Beavan
Carol – Sandy Powell
Cinderella – Sandy Powell
The Danish Girl – Paco Delgado
The Revenant – Jacqueline West

Best Film Editing

Mad Max: Fury Road – Margaret Sixel
The Big Short – Hank Corwin
The Revenant – Stephen Mirrione
Spotlight – Tom McArdle
Star Wars: The Force Awakens – Maryann Brandon and Mary Jo Markey

Best Visual Effects

Ex Machina – Mark Williams Ardington, Sara Bennett, Paul Norris, and Andrew Whitehurst
Mad Max: Fury Road – Andrew Jackson, Dan Oliver, Andy Williams, and Tom Wood
The Martian – Anders Langlands, Chris Lawrence, Richard Stammers, and Steven Warner
The Revenant – Richard McBride, Matt Shumway, Jason Smith, and Cameron Waldbauer
Star Wars: The Force Awakens – Chris Corbould, Roger Guyett, Paul Kavanagh, and Neal Scanlan

|  IP: Logged

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-29-2016 10:50 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yawn....

Terry Monohan
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-29-2016 11:35 AM      Profile for Terry Monohan   Email Terry Monohan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They cut way back on the big production numbers this year. Only two bad word edits during the live show. The host spent to much time on one subject. They needed to put him in a light blue jacket and change the colors every time he came on stage, not the over bright white thing he had on. The stereo surround was mixed very nice for live TV. Many actors did not show up this year for the protest. Someone needs to put a little live comedy in the stage show like a big bear going after the hosts pant legs, bring It on as a surprise to him.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 02-29-2016 12:15 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: List
Best Foreign Language Film

Son of Saul (Hungary) in Hungarian – László Nemes

I wonder when the last feature that was shot in, and intended for presentation in, 35mm 1.37 won an Oscar? The early 1950s would be my guess, unless any of the Dogma 95 movies also won a foreign language Oscar (but most of them weren't actually shot on 35mm).

As for Mad Max sweeping the technical categories, I'm guessing that all the AMPAS voters are fed up with early c20 costume dramas.

Paul H. Rayton
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-29-2016 12:52 PM      Profile for Paul H. Rayton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Leave us not forget "The Artist", produced and originally released in late 2011 (to get the Oscars buzz for it) but primarily shown during 2012 -- black & white, and in a 1.37:1 aspect ratio. "The Artist" got 5 Oscars, if IMDB is correct. I believe it was principally photographed on 35mm film, a move I applaud. There were both DCP and film copies of it; Michel Hazanavicius wasn't as strident in his "anti-digital" position as Tarantino, and the film process was uniquely suited to the production of that particular movie, since it was set in the late '20s anyway, and largely a "silent" movie. But prior to that, yes it was MANY years ago that a show in 1.37 got such attention and awards.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 02-29-2016 01:17 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The award I was most excited to see was Ex Machina for Visual Effects. It shows the Academy appreciated the subtlety of the visual effects over the traditional effects driven movie.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-29-2016 02:08 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was a typical Oscars show, but I thought Rock went overboard on the black/white jokes. After about the first half hour or so I was like, "OK, we get it, more black people should be nominated, blah blah." After the monologue they should have just got down to business and been done with it.

I just think it's hilarious that a black comedian can make so many racist (with occasional bits of hate thrown in) jokes and everybody thinks that's crazy funny, but if a white guy made even one racist joke his career would be over.

I wasn't impressed with Lady Gaga, although I never have been; I seem to be the only person in the world who thinks she is an overhyped windbag (although she does have a good singing voice).

I was quite surprised that "The Revenant" didn't win Best Picture. I'll bet there was a LOT of money lost in Vegas on that one.

I thought the show looked nice. The Dolby Theatre is an impressive venue. Can't comment on the sound mix because I watched it in SD mono at home.

I like how they put the endless lists of thank-yous onscreen. It didn't help the speeches though, they were still just as boring as usual. What's with thanking the wife and kids? They didn't make the movie.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 02-29-2016 02:10 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Paul H. Rayton
Leave us not forget "The Artist", produced and originally released in late 2011 (to get the Oscars buzz for it) but primarily shown during 2012 -- black & white, and in a 1.37:1 aspect ratio.
Given that it was silent and with a recorded orchestral soundtrack in the late 1920s, Hugo Riesenfeld style, it should have been in 1.19 / Movietone, for total authenticity!

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 02-29-2016 03:51 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The Martian – Simon Kinberg, Ridley Scott, Michael Schaefer, and Mark Huffam
Did you really have to list all of the names? Nobody knows or cares who these people are... except for the one in bold who is/was on this forum. No two people can share the same name, it's against both the law of the land and the law of physics so it MUST be him.

quote: Marcel Birgelen
Best Actor

Leonardo DiCaprio

Good. Now people can shut up about him. And I really wish people would stop calling him "Leo".

quote:
László Nemesdouble-dagger
James Gay-Reesdouble-dagger
Ennio Morriconedouble-dagger

The hell?

Also, these categories need to be eliminated forever. More people will watch the show guaranteed:

-Best Animated Feature Film (why does it matter if it's animated or not?)
-Best Foreign Language Film (other languages do not count)
-Best Documentary – Feature
-Best Documentary – Short Subject
-Best Live Action Short Film (Midgets can have their own award ceremonies)
-Best Animated Short Film
-Best Original Song
-Best Makeup and Hairstyling
-Best Costume Design
-Best Adapted Screenplay (can't even think of original material, how pathetic)
-Best Supporting Actor (Not even good enough to be the MAIN actor? No thanks)
-Best Supporting Actress (This is like an award for being a little sister)

Also is it fair that Actor is listed ABOVE Actress? How sexist. Check your male privilege you pig.

Signed,
Joe Rediferdouble-dagger

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 02-29-2016 05:02 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Given that it was silent and with a recorded orchestral soundtrack in the late 1920s, Hugo Riesenfeld style, it should have been in 1.19 / Movietone, for total authenticity!
For optimum authenticity it should also have shipped as a nitrate film. [Wink]

quote: Joe Redifer
Did you really have to list all of the names? Nobody knows or cares who these people are... except for the one in bold who is/was on this forum. No two people can share the same name, it's against both the law of the land and the law of physics so it MUST be him.
So, if he who is/was on this forum and the one in bold would ever meet on this forum, this will happen?

Good. Now people can shut up about him. And I really wish people would stop calling him "Leo".
I agree, I like 'Nardo better.

quote:
-Best Animated Feature Film (why does it matter if it's animated or not?)
You don't get it, do you?
Animated: For little Joes only
Non-animated: For big Joes only

quote:
-Best Foreign Language Film (other languages do not count)
That better not be a question, or else it would look bad on your reputation as an American.

Also is it fair that Actor is listed ABOVE Actress? How sexist. Check your male privilege you pig.
They were listed randomly, using importance as a weighting factor?

Joe Rediferdouble-dagger
In line with Wikipedia, from which I copy/pasted/stole those results, double-daggers are only awarded to winners. So, do you feel like a winner?

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 02-29-2016 07:27 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Marcel Birgelen
For optimum authenticity it should also have shipped as a nitrate film.
You might joke about it, but someone gave a presentation at an AMIA conference about 10 years ago arguing for a limited return to production of nitrate film base for small numbers of prestige showprints. He pointed out that nitrocellulose is still in production for various niche applications (e.g. for coating onto phonograph discs in lacquer form to cut masters and dubplates), and that therefore film base casting using it could be restarted at relatively little cost. He further pointed out that new nitrate prints made from preservation elements would be less volatile and safer in projection than survivors from the 1940s or earlier, as they wouldn't be as decomposed.

I'm kinda relieved that nothing came of that suggestion, though!

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 02-29-2016 09:07 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did like it that Ennio Morricone FINALLY won a Best Music Score Oscar. Yes, I do believe his score for The Hateful Eight was deserving of the award.

It's about damned time too. The Oscars™ have shown in the past they're willing to consider the past career work of a nominee into the process, hence awards like John Wayne winning Best Actor for True Grit or Paul Newman winning the same award for The Color of Money. Even "Leo's" award last night might fall into the same category. The real outrage is Leo's moustache booger, as seen in the last shot of The Revenant didn't win an Oscar™ too.

Morricone was Oscar™ nominated 5 previous times, but did not win for Malčna, Bugsy, The Untouchables (you Academy assholes!), The Mission and Days of Heaven. The guy has over 500 freaking scoring credits to his name. Holy shit. I feel like a lazy sloth now.

Morricone received no nominations, no awards, no nothing other than his paycheck for The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. Same goes for movies like Once Upon a Time in America or Once Upon a Time in the West. He originally didn't get to use his own name for his credit on A Fistful of Dollars.

While I am kind of pissed The Hateful Eight didn't bring home a Best Cinematography Oscar™ I also think QT shouldn't have filmed 90% of his movie in a freaking dark log cabin with a whole bunch of talking. If you're going to shoot something in 70mm you better offer up some visual spectacle with it!

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 03-01-2016 06:43 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You might joke about it, but someone gave a presentation at an AMIA conference about 10 years ago arguing for a limited return to production of nitrate film base for small numbers of prestige showprints. He pointed out that nitrocellulose is still in production for various niche applications (e.g. for coating onto phonograph discs in lacquer form to cut masters and dubplates), and that therefore film base casting using it could be restarted at relatively little cost. He further pointed out that new nitrate prints made from preservation elements would be less volatile and safer in projection than survivors from the 1940s or earlier, as they wouldn't be as decomposed.

Well, he should have developped an ultra-fast self-decomposing version and sold it to Hollywood as some newfangled form of DRM and it surely would've been a hit. [Wink]

quote: Bobby Henderson
It's about damned time too. The Oscars™ have shown in the past they're willing to consider the past career work of a nominee into the process, hence awards like John Wayne winning Best Actor for True Grit or Paul Newman winning the same award for The Color of Money. Even "Leo's" award last night might fall into the same category. The real outrage is Leo's moustache booger, as seen in the last shot of The Revenant didn't win an Oscar™ too.
Isn't this what the "Academy Honorary Award" was introduced for? Considering past career work for the yearly Oscars™ isn't really fair for the contenders in the same category. If someone is unfortunate enough to always be outclassed by the competition du jour (at least, according to the jury), but has consistently been producing work at the highest levels, he or she should be awarded a special award, covering his or her oeuvre.

PS: Is the Plural form of Oscar™ Oscar™s or Oscars™? Maybe we should call it the OS©/\®S™?

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 03-01-2016 02:25 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't watch the Oscars this year and I don't feel like I missed anything.

My girlfriend's father is a retired producer who made many of the TV shows and movies we all think of as classics and even he wasn't interested in the Oscars. He is a member of the Academy and he gets all the screeners. His comment to me was something along the lines that there are one or two worthwhile movies but 95% of them are crap.

I saw the some of the usual 90 second clips from the Oscars that you see on news and talk shows, the day after. I wasn't impressed.

Chris Rock telling racial jokes was a total turn-off!
I would laugh at the occasional Chris Rock joke in another setting, such as a comedy club or TV appearance but the Oscars is supposed to be a formal occasion. Observational comedy about societal quirks of behavior can be funny but they are not appropriate for the decorum of the Academy Awards.

quote:

With all the technology we have, today, versus the early 1900's you would think that it would be almost a trivial matter to project nitrate film safely.

Electronically controlled projectors. Speed sensors. Heat sensors. Solenoid operated shutters. Servo motors. Dichroic heat reflectors.

I think that we have the technology that a trained operator could safely project nitrate film.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 03-01-2016 06:17 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Randy Stankey
I think that we have the technology that a trained operator could safely project nitrate film.

I ran nitrate back in the early 70's a my drive-in.

Towards the end of each season where we weren't receiving any trailers from NSS, we ran a B/W 10min clock reel, printed on nitrate stock, between shows.

Did that for three seasons. Just kept the fire trap rollers in the magazines and film contact areas super clean when running that reel - with extinguisher nearby.

Motio AA and Ashcraft Corelites with 11mm rotators is what my booth contained.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: