Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Regal Is Building Right Down The Street From Me (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Regal Is Building Right Down The Street From Me
Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-02-2016 12:06 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just went though the strip mall area at Redwood Road and 5400 South to take a package to Fed-Ex and noticed that a new Regal Cinema is under construction across from the Texas Roadhouse. They must have just began it Monday as there was no equipment or activity there over the weekend. The lot doesn't seem quite large enough for many screens so this will be interesting. I'd say ten smallish screens at most unless they go out and consume some of the parking lot. I'm sure Sam Graham knows where this is at. It is also near the site of a previous 12 screen Cineplex Theater which was abandoned and torn down after their bankruptcy in the early 2000's. There is a Gym on that site now.

This is right in the middle between two Megaplex sites and no doubt will put a dent in their business. It's rather well spaced away from any Cinemark sites, at least ten miles over to the 21 screen Cinemark. So it appears they are coming in to give Megaplex some grief which is just fine by me.

I will take pictures and post once the building starts going up. You can see in the image how small an area it is. Unless they demolish MORE of that strip mall area it's not gonna amount to much... The area under construction is in red.

-

|  IP: Logged

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 02-02-2016 01:46 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck finding a parking spot!

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-02-2016 02:02 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe they're going to build multi levels.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-02-2016 02:33 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm kinda thinking the rest of the buildings south of where they are building now HAS to come down for this to happen on any scale... Unless Regal builds brand new second run locations.

Mark

Buck Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-02-2016 02:41 PM      Profile for Buck Wilson   Email Buck Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's amazing how compact theaters have gotten. All in the name of the dollar I'm sure.

The local 10 screener, screens ranging from 25'-42', can be seen here dwarfed by the neighboring Kohl's and Target. It's footprint is barely larger than the Best Buy.

-

It's a very efficient use of space, for sure. The booth is "floating", above the auditoriums. So yes, most auditoriums share not two, but three walls.

Here's a professional architectural cross section rendering-

-

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 02-02-2016 05:03 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Prob not even a booth, but a no-booth construction since you see the exhaust fans and HVAC units in the middle of the roof.

It's the new trend these days where it saves on construction costs.

LMS/TMS is now in the office and slide out trays holding the units for maintenance work in the houses themselves.

Mark, is that going to spell the death knell for Miller's 6plex on 5400S Redwood Road?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-02-2016 05:43 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At least at your site Buck you have ample parking. Based on the available footprint here that has to be what they are building.

Monte, it will,for sure drive him to second run.

What I am really laughing about is the customer base its going to take away from both Jordon Community no and West Valley Megaplexs.

Mark

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 02-02-2016 07:28 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
God your hatred of Megaplex is childish.

The Regal is planned as an all-recliner14-plex with food service. If you find yourself in Vegas, head out to Downtown Summerlin and catch a movie at Regal's 5-plex and you'll have an idea what to expect. Sony 4K and tinny Klipsch speakers, I'm sure. Hopefully they've given up on that whole floating backlit screen deal. The location does fill a screen void in the neighborhood in any case without having any material effect on existing plexes.

I'd like to be at the DABC meeting when they try to get a liquor license. That should be hilarious.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 02-02-2016 07:32 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This will be the first REG location in that state. Wonder if it will be an Edwards or a Regal.

Mann Theatres built that 6plex back in 1981 which is in that huge lot across the street, North from this REG location.

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 02-02-2016 09:26 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw Roger Rabbit in that Mann 6 plex, next to the Leatherby's!

I recently visited a Megaplex for the first time, and I was very pleased with the overall experience.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-02-2016 10:24 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Megaplex concessions suck beyond belief and I refuse to be just another head of cattle at Jordon Commons. They also have a lot of very outdated series one projectors still in service and very dim Dolby 3-D images. Sorry Sam, It's just just not all the great or worth the bother to go there. Overall the movie theater scene here is pretty sucky. At least Cinemark has 4K and decent sound systems even if they do lack the masking. I'll take better picture and sound any day over old series one and anything Sony. Even Cinemark has a slightly better selection at the concession counter. I'm kinda surprised what's left of LHM hasn't sold out to one of the big chains yet. Now that it's run by a real board of directors that could very well happen. Many of their car dealerships are struggling.

Mark

Buck Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-03-2016 01:42 AM      Profile for Buck Wilson   Email Buck Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Monte L Fullmer
Prob not even a booth, but a no-booth construction since you see the exhaust fans and HVAC units in the middle of the roof.

It's the new trend these days where it saves on construction costs.

It does have a full size booth as big or slightly bigger than the hallway. Thank god. Built in 2005.

-

Under all of that booth floor is auditorium. You can actually sit under the projectors. (That are digital now obviously)

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 02-03-2016 06:38 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So just what is your complaint on the series 1 projectors (from that patron side of things where you only have the image to judge by)? Depending on the series 1 model, the differences are strikingly small...as in 95% of the people won't be able to tell the difference.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-03-2016 10:09 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Dolby 3-D images are very dim in those theater's. IDK if they are not getting the correct service done or even if they are using the correct lamps or not. I happen to enjoy a 3-D once in a while and Megaplex is NOT the place to see them. No one else locally has that bad of 3-D presentation. I've installed enough Dolby 3-D to know it can work at the proper brightness levels quite easily.

Mark

Scott Jentsch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-03-2016 02:23 PM      Profile for Scott Jentsch   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Jentsch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The last news article I could find puts the new Regal location at 14 screens.

How dense is the population? I count 100 screens in 9 locations within 5 miles of the new theater's location, which seems pretty high.

Now add 14 on top of that? What are the chances that the Showstar Cinema 6 is going to survive in that climate?

The one news article I found said that more development was happening on the north side of 5400 South, so maybe that theater isn't long for the world anyway?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: