Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » What have you done with Raspberry Pi 'computers'?

Author Topic: What have you done with Raspberry Pi 'computers'?
Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 01-29-2016 04:05 AM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Purchased a Raspberry Pi box to play around with at the theatre.

The primary reason was to see if it was a viable option for our auditorium signs, which are basically web pages served off a computer in the booth. The devices seem to work perfectly for this application, and at about 1/5 the cost of a Popcorn Hour box, or a netbook.

Another application I want to test is if they would be a viable replacement for our DOS based POS terminals. Typically when we have to replace these terminals, it costs a few hundred dollars. So I want to see if I can load DOS onto one of these boxes, and have it output to peripherals on USB. Normally the peripherals are plugged into 9 pin RS-232 serial ports. But I want to play around to see if they will work with serial to USB adapters, or if we might be able to use USB peripherals - such as pole displays and touchscreens.

Just curious to know if anyone else has played around with these boxes and come up with useful applications.

|  IP: Logged

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 01-29-2016 05:59 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
These will not run DOS--they use ARM CPUs, not x86.

Digital signage seems like a good application for this box.

Also, I know that some people use them as music playback devices, usually with external USB sound cards. It might be worth looking into that if you need something to play back non-sync music or music-on-hold. They are certainly cheaper than a CD player or pretty much any solid-state audio playback device.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 01-29-2016 08:01 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I built my own GPIO-Ethernetbox with one, sort of a JNIOR.

And yes, they are nice signage players as well. Add a cheap USB-WLAN stick, and all you need is a mains socket/USB power supply.

- Carsten

Marcus Johnson
Film Handler

- posted 01-29-2016 01:25 PM      Profile for Marcus Johnson   Email Marcus Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually you can run DOS on a Raspberry Pi, not sure how fast you need it to be but apparently this program runs at the speed of a 20mhz 486 and supports USB to serial adapters:

http://rpix86.patrickaalto.com/

Matthew Heuer
Film Handler

- posted 01-29-2016 04:00 PM      Profile for Matthew Heuer   Email Matthew Heuer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As for raspberry pi I just started playing with it myself. Right now the only thing I have set up is a webserver that serves a webpage with the temperature of the shop. It will also email me if the temperature drops below 50 degrees. As for theatre projects I have done a couple with arduino which could also easily be done with the pi, in fact the pi would be overkill. Arduino exit door alert system, and arduino which alerts when 3d movies are 2 minutes from credits so someone can get the glasses (dolby 3D).

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 01-29-2016 06:18 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Marcus Johnson
Actually you can run DOS on a Raspberry Pi
Interesting. That is kind of awesome.

Scott Jentsch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-03-2016 02:30 PM      Profile for Scott Jentsch   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Jentsch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bought one some time ago to use as a Squeezebox (music player) client, but sadly, I've not yet taken it out of the box...

A friend has used one to create a Wake-on-LAN signal to reboot a laptop after a power outage. From what I understand, it's pretty straightforward to program.

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-03-2016 05:56 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"A Washington, D.C.-based reddit user going by the name AlekseyP was so
frustrated with his download speeds that he set up a Twitter bot that tweets
at Comcast every time his Internet service drops below a certain threshold.
How does he do it? With a Raspberry Pi — a small, low-power computer
beloved by hobbyists — that continuously monitors his home bandwidth."
Story Link

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-03-2016 08:56 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does screaming at Comcast actually produce any results though?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: