Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » 2016 Academy Award Nominations (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: 2016 Academy Award Nominations
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-14-2016 03:01 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
2016 Academy Award Nominations

Best motion picture of the year

• "The Big Short," Brad Pitt, Dede Gardner and Jeremy Kleiner, producers
• "Bridge of Spies," Steven Spielberg, Marc Platt and Kristie Macosko Krieger, producers
• "Brooklyn," Finola Dwyer and Amanda Posey, producers
• "Mad Max: Fury Road," Doug Mitchell and George Miller, producers
• "The Martian," Simon Kinberg, Ridley Scott, Michael Schaefer and Mark Huffam, producers
• "The Revenant," Arnon Milchan, Steve Golin, Alejandro G. Iραrritu, Mary Parent and Keith Redmon, producers
• "Room," Ed Guiney, producer
• "Spotlight," Michael Sugar, Steve Golin, Nicole Rocklin and Blye Pagon Faust, producers

Performance by an actor in a leading role

• Bryan Cranston in "Trumbo"
• Matt Damon in "The Martian"
• Leonardo DiCaprio in "The Revenant"
• Michael Fassbender in "Steve Jobs"
• Eddie Redmayne in "The Danish Girl"

Performance by an actor in a supporting role

• Christian Bale in "The Big Short"
• Tom Hardy in "The Revenant"
• Mark Ruffalo in "Spotlight"
• Mark Rylance in "Bridge of Spies"
• Sylvester Stallone in "Creed"

Performance by an actress in a leading role

• Cate Blanchett in "Carol"
• Brie Larson in "Room"
• Jennifer Lawrence in "Joy"
• Charlotte Rampling in "45 Years"
• Saoirse Ronan in "Brooklyn"

Performance by an actress in a supporting role

• Jennifer Jason Leigh in "The Hateful Eight"
• Rooney Mara in "Carol"
• Rachel McAdams in "Spotlight"
• Alicia Vikander in "The Danish Girl"
• Kate Winslet in "Steve Jobs"

Best animated feature film of the year

• "Anomalisa," Charlie Kaufman, Duke Johnson and Rosa Tran
• "Boy and the World," Alκ Abreu
• "Inside Out," Pete Docter and Jonas Rivera
• "Shaun the Sheep Movie," Mark Burton and Richard Starzak
• "When Marnie Was There," Hiromasa Yonebayashi and Yoshiaki Nishimura

Achievement in cinematography

• "Carol," Ed Lachman
• "The Hateful Eight," Robert Richardson
• "Mad Max: Fury Road," John Seale
• "The Revenant," Emmanuel Lubezki
• "Sicario," Roger Deakins

Achievement in costume design

• "Carol," Sandy Powell
• "Cinderella," Sandy Powell
• "The Danish Girl," Paco Delgado
• "Mad Max: Fury Road," Jenny Beavan
• "The Revenant," Jacqueline West

Achievement in directing

• "The Big Short," Adam McKay
• "Mad Max: Fury Road," George Miller
• "The Revenant," Alejandro G. Iραrritu
• "Room," Lenny Abrahamson
• "Spotlight," Tom McCarthy

Best documentary feature

• "Amy," Asif Kapadia and James Gay-Rees
• "Cartel Land," Matthew Heineman and Tom Yellin
• "The Look of Silence," Joshua Oppenheimer and Signe Byrge Sψrensen
• "What Happened, Miss Simone?" Liz Garbus, Amy Hobby and Justin Wilkes
• "Winter on Fire: Ukraine's Fight for Freedom," Evgeny Afineevsky and Den Tolmor

Best documentary short subject

• "Body Team 12," David Darg and Bryn Mooser
• "Chau, beyond the Lines," Courtney Marsh and Jerry Franck
• "Claude Lanzmann: Spectres of the Shoah," Adam Benzine
• "A Girl in the River: The Price of Forgiveness," Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy
• "Last Day of Freedom," Dee Hibbert-Jones and Nomi Talisman

Achievement in film editing

• "The Big Short," Hank Corwin
• "Mad Max: Fury Road," Margaret Sixel
• "The Revenant," Stephen Mirrione
• "Spotlight," Tom McArdle
• "Star Wars: The Force Awakens," Maryann Brandon and Mary Jo Markey

Best foreign-language film of the year

• "Embrace of the Serpent," Colombia
• "Mustang," France
• "Son of Saul," Hungary
• "Theeb," Jordan
• "A War," Denmark

Achievement in makeup and hairstyling

• "Mad Max: Fury Road," Lesley Vanderwalt, Elka Wardega and Damian Martin
• "The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed out the Window and Disappeared," Love Larson and Eva von Bahr
• "The Revenant," Siβn Grigg, Duncan Jarman and Robert Pandini

Achievement in music written for motion pictures (Original score)

• "Bridge of Spies," Thomas Newman
• "Carol," Carter Burwell
• "The Hateful Eight," Ennio Morricone
• "Sicario," Jσhann Jσhannsson
• "Star Wars: The Force Awakens," John Williams

Achievement in music written for motion pictures (Original song)

• "Earned It" from "Fifty Shades of Grey"
Music and Lyric by Abel Tesfaye, Ahmad Balshe, Jason Daheala Quenneville and Stephan Moccio
• "Manta Ray" from "Racing Extinction"
Music by J. Ralph and Lyric by Antony Hegarty
• "Simple Song #3" from "Youth"
Music and Lyric by David Lang
• "Til It Happens To You" from "The Hunting Ground"
Music and Lyric by Diane Warren and Lady Gaga
• "Writing's on the Wall" from "Spectre"
Music and Lyric by Jimmy Napes and Sam Smith

Achievement in production design

• "Bridge of Spies," production design: Adam Stockhausen; set decoration: Rena DeAngelo and Bernhard Henrich
• "The Danish Girl," production design: Eve Stewart; set decoration: Michael Standish
• "Mad Max: Fury Road," production design: Colin Gibson; set decoration: Lisa Thompson
• "The Martian," production design: Arthur Max; set decoration: Celia Bobak
• "The Revenant," production design: Jack Fisk; set decoration: Hamish Purdy

Best animated short film

• "Bear Story," Gabriel Osorio and Pato Escala
• "Prologue," Richard Williams and Imogen Sutton
• "Sanjay's Super Team," Sanjay Patel and Nicole Grindle
• "We Can't Live without Cosmos," Konstantin Bronzit
• "World of Tomorrow," Don Hertzfeldt

Best live-action short film

• "Ave Maria," Basil Khalil and Eric Dupont
• "Day One," Henry Hughes
• "Everything Will Be Okay (Alles Wird Gut)," Patrick Vollrath
• "Shok," Jamie Donoughue
• "Stutterer," Benjamin Cleary and Serena Armitage

Achievement in sound editing

• "Mad Max: Fury Road," Mark Mangini and David White
• "The Martian," Oliver Tarney
• "The Revenant," Martin Hernandez and Lon Bender
• "Sicario," Alan Robert Murray
• "Star Wars: The Force Awakens," Matthew Wood and David Acord

Achievement in sound mixing

• "Bridge of Spies," Andy Nelson, Gary Rydstrom and Drew Kunin
• "Mad Max: Fury Road," Chris Jenkins, Gregg Rudloff and Ben Osmo
• "The Martian," Paul Massey, Mark Taylor and Mac Ruth
• "The Revenant," Jon Taylor, Frank A. Montaρo, Randy Thom and Chris Duesterdiek
• "Star Wars: The Force Awakens," Andy Nelson, Christopher Scarabosio and Stuart Wilson

Achievement in visual effects

• "Ex Machina," Andrew Whitehurst, Paul Norris, Mark Ardington and Sara Bennett
• "Mad Max: Fury Road," Andrew Jackson, Tom Wood, Dan Oliver and Andy Williams
• "The Martian," Richard Stammers, Anders Langlands, Chris Lawrence and Steven Warner
• "The Revenant," Rich McBride, Matthew Shumway, Jason Smith and Cameron Waldbauer
• "Star Wars: The Force Awakens," Roger Guyett, Patrick Tubach, Neal Scanlan and Chris Corbould

Adapted screenplay

• "The Big Short," screenplay by Charles Randolph and Adam McKay
• "Brooklyn," screenplay by Nick Hornby
• "Carol," screenplay by Phyllis Nagy
• "The Martian," screenplay by Drew Goddard
• "Room," screenplay by Emma Donoghue

Original screenplay

• "Bridge of Spies," written by Matt Charman and Ethan Coen & Joel Coen
• "Ex Machina," written by Alex Garland
• "Inside Out," screenplay by Pete Docter, Meg LeFauve and Josh Cooley; original story by Pete Docter and Ronnie del Carmen
• "Spotlight," written by Josh Singer and Tom McCarthy
• "Straight Outta Compton," screenplay by Jonathan Herman and Andrea Berloff; story by S. Leigh Savidge & Alan Wenkus and Andrea Berloff

|  IP: Logged

Matt Russell
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-14-2016 04:42 PM      Profile for Matt Russell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was surprised to see only eight films nominated for Best Picture, was Straight Outta Compton/Star Wars/Inside Out/Creed/Carol/Steve Jobs (ect) not worthy of full-filling two extra spots? Anyways, I hope Mad Max or The Martian wins, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Academy sides with Spotlight or The Revenant ( [puke] ).

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-14-2016 05:05 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I already saw one griping article online about "Academy picks an all-white slate for Best Actor...again." Those things really bug me -- considering the nominees are VOTED on, I don't think it would be right for the governing body to say "Remember now, you should vote for at least one non-white person because we want to get some non-whites in there."

Maybe there weren't any non-white actors who got enough attention from the academy members this year to get enough votes for a nomination! I seriously doubt there's any conspiracy to keep the black/brown/yellow/red/whatever guys out.

[Sarcasm] I suppose the best thing would be to have different Oscar races for each ethnicity, then there wouldn't be these kinds of complaints. [/Sarcasm]

Mark Ogden
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-14-2016 05:07 PM      Profile for Mark Ogden   Email Mark Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting cinematography nominations, ranging from Carol, beautifully shot on Super 16mm, to The Hateful Eight in Ultra Panavision, and then a mix of digital Arri Alexa in between, including The Revenent which was shot on the Alexa 65 in available light only. 35mm taking it on the chin this year.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-14-2016 06:27 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't seen all of the movies on the list this year but of the ones I have seen, I don't think any of them are "Best Picture" worthy. One had pretty photography but the rest I didn't care for. I actually hope the Hateful Eight gets the best original score.

Geoff Jones
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-14-2016 07:32 PM      Profile for Geoff Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Geoff Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Best Score was actually Mad Max: Fury Road

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 01-14-2016 09:41 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I disagree. HATEFUL EIGHT was better.
- Claude

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 01-14-2016 09:51 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only Best Picture nominee I've seen is Spotlight. It was a competently scripted, acted and directed journalism thriller (though nowhere even close to as good as All the President's Men, to which it was repeatedly compared in the marketing hype), but Best Picture material? That's the sort of film that the average person will have heard of in 50 years' time. I'm not sure that this one, or any others, for that matter, will check that box.

Glad to see that Sicario got a cinematography nomination. It was one of the more underrated shows of last year, IMHO.

Matt Russell
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-14-2016 11:37 PM      Profile for Matt Russell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Geoff Jones
Best Score was actually Mad Max: Fury Road
I think Mad Max had the best instrumentals, and Junkie XL did an amazing job getting that "intense" feeling on the drums. But I found Hateful Eight's to be more memorable, maybe it's because of the overture and the opening credits that stood out, but there's no doubt that Ennio Morricone is legendary, so I think he deserves a recognition for his work.

Pravin Ratnam
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-20-2016 02:42 PM      Profile for Pravin Ratnam   Email Pravin Ratnam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Matt Damon for The Martian? Very very solid performance that was effective. But best actor for that? The guy who played Easy E in Straight Outta Compton should have gotten some consideration, in my view. maybe if it were about cellists in europe, the movie would have gotten a couple more nods.

I just find it ridiculous that Samuel L Jackson has never gotten an oscar. I was hoping he would get something for Hateful Eight though quite frankly, he has done better. I thought he was even better in Django. He was about the only great part of the disappointing Jungle Fever.

And is Jennifer Lawrence going to get nominated for every damn thing now?

I would have liked to have seen Nicholas Hoult get a supporting nod for Fury Road just for the hell of it.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 01-21-2016 05:48 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark,

We're screening 'Carol' today. It looks very good. Haven't seen anything shot on Super 16 for quite some time.

Anything shot on 2, 3 or 8 perf 35 mm recently?

Mark Ogden
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-21-2016 07:48 AM      Profile for Mark Ogden   Email Mark Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Stephen Furley
Anything shot on 2, 3 or 8 perf 35 mm recently?
Boy, I don't know. Nothing that got nominated! [Wink]

While The Revenant is probably a mortal lock for the cinematography Oscar (unless the Academy is reluctant to give Emmanuel Lubezki the award for the third year in a row) I very much appreciated the look of Carol, photographed by Ed Lachman. The lower resolution and more pronounced grain of Super 16 really fit the story and time period well. I had a fantasy while watching it about the studio making BLS resurrect a bunch of Eastman 25s and sending them to theatres.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-04-2016 02:01 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting following all the "#OscarsSoWhite" coverage. And all these years we've been hearing that nobody gives a shit about the Oscars anymore....guess that's not true.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 02-04-2016 07:06 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My comment about the "#OscarsSoWhite" controversy is it shows ignorance about how the nominations are selected, and conveys an air of entitlement. This is especially true when you look for standout performances by minorities in 2015. There is a case to be made for Michael B Jordan in Creed or Will Smith in Concussion, but there weren't many others.

Rather than going off about the Oscar nominations, they should focus their attention on the makeup of the Academy, as well as the lack of high quality roles for minorities in Hollywood.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-04-2016 08:42 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do agree that it's kind of dumb to allow people who haven't been active in the business since the '70s to vote on the Oscars when they may not even see the movies. Maybe the voters should be split into "active" and "inactive" members, with more weight given to the "actives."

However, there is absolutely NO proof that there was any big conspiracy not to nominate black actors or filmmakers. I resent that this is being implied. They asked the voters what their favorites were, and they got their answers. Do they really think all their membership is that racist? I'm a 50+ white guy, but given the chance, I would never vote for some person or some movie JUST because they were white or black or whatever. I'd look for good performaces.

It's entirely possible that none of the black performances this year impressed enough of the voters to make the nominations. What a concept!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: