Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » The new movie "Paint Drying" (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: The new movie "Paint Drying"
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-20-2015 10:09 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a brilliant Kickstarter campaign that everyone should consider being a part of.

Make the Censors Watch 'Paint Drying'

quote:
Help me send my new film to the British Board of Film Classification.

About this project

The British Board of Film Classification (previously known as the British Board of Film Censors) was established in 1912 to ensure films remained free of 'indecorous dancing', 'references to controversial politics' and 'men and women in bed together', amongst other perceived indiscretions.

Today, it continues to censor and in some cases ban films, while UK law ensures that, in effect, a film cannot be released in British cinemas without a BBFC certificate.

Each certificate costs around £1000 for a feature film of average length. For many independent filmmakers, such a large upfront can prove prohibitively expensive.

-

Luckily, there’s a flipside to all of this: while filmmakers are required to pay the BBFC to certify their work, the BBFC are also required to sit through whatever we pay them to watch.

That’s why I’m Kickstarting a BBFC certificate for my new film Paint Drying — a single, unbroken shot of white paint drying on a brick wall. All the money raised by this campaign (minus Kickstarter's fees) will be put towards the cost of the certificate, so the final length of the film will be determined by how much money is raised here.

For instance, if we raise £108.59, the film will be one minute long. If we raise £526.90, it'll be an hour long. And so on.

Risks and challenges

I've shot fourteen continuous hours of footage, on crisp 4K digital video. This should provide enough material for the film, as long as this campaign doesn't raise more than £6057.

If the campaign surpasses that figure, I'll reshoot the film with a longer runtime — which would also allow Paint Drying to overtake Jacques Rivette's Out 1 (with a runtime of 775 minutes) as the longest film ever rated by the BBFC.

HERE is the website showing the current running time of the movie.

-

Mashable article

How can you not be a part of this movie magic? [beer]

|  IP: Logged

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 11-20-2015 10:19 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, there is serious chutzpah there. But I suspect that the filmmaker is selling himself short, and that Paint Drying could become a celebrated masterpiece of experimental cinema, written about by leading film theorists in universities the world over.

A couple of weeks ago I showed a 16mm movie for LA Film Forum which consisted of a static shot of a farmer's field, lasting for half an hour or so. OK, admittedly it was a bit more interesting than paint drying: the grass blew in the wind, people walked in and out of the frame stacking hay on a bale and that sort of stuff. It was actually quite hypnotic after a while.

But you get my point: the idea is hardly a new one. And if John Cage managed to become internationally famous by having concert audiences sitting in front of musicians doing nothing, then I have high hopes for the paint drying movie, above and beyond raising a two-fingered salute to the BBFC.

By the way, on leaving college in 1995, I applied for and was interviewed for a job as a film examiner with the BBFC. They emphasized that they couldn't really care what I thought about the controversies over A Clockwork Orange and Reservoir Dogs (because such controversies occupy a tiny part of their working day), but cared a lot about my knowledge of child development and my ability to make the right call as to what would be OK for a 10-year old to see but not a 5-year old. Needless to say, I didn't get the job.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-20-2015 10:25 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Really the trick here is going to be the sound mix, not the visual. That being said I do wish he would shoot it in lovely 2.76:1 even if he does shoot it on video (wouldn't you hate to be the projectionist running 2k changeovers?)

But again the trick here is the SOUND MIX. A mix of dead silence of the occasional wind blowing in the background just won't cut it. There must be something repetitive and HIGHLY ANNOYING, so that after 14 hours of that there is just no way they can get it out of their heads for a month.

Just imagine the sound of a couple of guys walking up and talking about some jibberish for a few seconds, then they say "hey man, crank up some tunes" while the one song that the movie licenses (Justin Bieber's Baby) starts.

Then when the song is over "hey man, play that again" and it starts up again.

Then repeat that last paragraph however many times it takes for the 14 hours or however long it ends up being. [evil]

Of course the lovely part of my idea is that the movie could really only be 3 PHYSICAL reels long. You have:
Reel 1
Reel 2,4,6,8,10,12,14,16,18,20,etc
Reel 3,5,7,9,11,13,15,17,19,21,etc

That being said, does anyone know if there is a way to mandate no intermissions? And how long are the censors permitted to leave for restroom breaks? How about a strict no cell phone or electronic device rule? Hopefully they are required to view the film at reference volume too, as the filmmakers intended.

Hopefully Joe Redifer will make a similar movie for the MPAA, except of course instead of being really long and boring, it must be sexually offensive beyond their wildest dreams since that's about all that phases them.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 11-20-2015 10:28 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
(wouldn't you hate to be the projectionist running 2k changeovers?)
The cue marks would make the audience jump out of their skin.

Afterthought - music - 1960s Easy Listening muzak until about reel 27, then some gangsta rap with lyrics celebrating pedophilia in highly explicit language. That would prove whether the BBFC examiner had actually bothered to sit through the whole show or not.

Again, nothing new: Derek Jarman's Blue consisted of a blank blue screen for 79 minutes, with the interesting stuff happening on the soundtrack.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-20-2015 10:37 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I like that afterthought, but I wonder how much it would take to license the music? (I suppose they could get some local garage band to make it...probably better that way anyway as long as the lyrics are easily understood.)

Do you think the Biebs would support the campaign with a $1 license fee? [Wink]

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 11-20-2015 11:07 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Saskatchewan used to have its own Film Classification Board. In 1994, the board banned Exit to Eden due to a scene where a woman spanks a man with a hairbrush. This is Sexual Violence, and is Not Allowed.

Banning this movie immediately became front page news across the province, and the result was more interest in it than you can possibly imagine, and far more interest than it deserves (since it really is a ghawd-awful complete waste of perfectly good film and two hours of your life).

I know of one fellow who was actually arranging bus tours from Saskatchewan towns to theatres in Alberta for people to go and see it there!

A week later, the Film Classification Board changed its mind and slapped a Restricted 18+ rating on it so theatres here could play it. And was it ever HUGE! I sold tickets to people who I've never seen before or since. I remember one tiny little old lady who came tottering in the door on her cane, slowly shuffled up to me and said, "Is this the movie that they banned?" I said, "Yes, it is." She replied, "Oh good!" and put her money on the counter. [Big Grin]

Saskatchewan is probably the only place on the planet where Exit to Eden made a killing! If they had just slapped a Restricted rating on it at the beginning and left it at that, it would have played for one week in the biggest cities and quietly disappeared when nobody cared. Instead, everybody had to see it and I do mean EVERYBODY. People were coming out from under rocks to watch that thing.

Not too long after that the Saskatchewan Film Classification Board outsourced the job of classifying movies to the BC Film Classification Board. While the Saskatchewan Film Classification Board still exists in theory and on paper (I get a license from them every year to operate my theatre), the actual job of classifying the movies is done in British Columbia.

I'm not entirely certain this is a cause-and-effect situation but it seems awfully coincidental that the film classification function was farmed out that way shortly after the big scandal surrounding the banning of Exit to Eden.

Rex Oliver
Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2015 12:23 AM      Profile for Rex Oliver   Email Rex Oliver   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How bout making a movie of grass growing?

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 11-21-2015 09:16 AM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Again, nothing new:
Warhol's Sleep - 5 hours of John Girono sleeping. Warhol's Sleep

And Warhol's Empire: A single shot of the Empire State Building from early evening until nearly 3 am the next day. 485 Big Action Minutes. Warhol's Empire

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-21-2015 06:01 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had to run Blue http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106438/?ref_=fn_tt_tt_41

And it was on 20 minute reels no less...when the curator of the facility came into the booth while the movie was running...I'd go to the projector running an adjust focus and framing a bit...she eventually "got it."

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 11-21-2015 08:43 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When Blue came out, a co-worker told me that in another arthouse nearby, the projectionist had snipped out a frame from the end of a reel, put it in a slide and projected it with a Kodak Carousel, while the audio played from the 35mm print, as an experiment to see if anyone noticed. Apparently, no-one did.

I've no idea if this actually happened or is an urban legend; I suspect the latter.

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-22-2015 12:07 AM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wonder if this will include one frame of something offensive someplace in the middle, just to see if anyone notices it and rates it accordingly?

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 11-22-2015 04:33 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paint Drying - in 3D, Dolby Atmos, 4K, HDR, IMAX, Auro 3D. 70mm in selected theatres.

Mark Hajducki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-22-2015 05:28 PM      Profile for Mark Hajducki   Email Mark Hajducki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But again the trick here is the SOUND MIX. A mix of dead silence of the occasional wind blowing in the background just won't cut it. There must be something repetitive and HIGHLY ANNOYING, so that after 14 hours of that there is just no way they can get it out of their heads for a month.

Just imagine the sound of a couple of guys walking up and talking about some jibberish for a few seconds, then they say "hey man, crank up some tunes" while the one song that the movie licenses (Justin Bieber's Baby) starts.

I think forcing somebody to listen to Bieber for 14 hours would fall foul of human rights legislation. As Leo suggested some expletives would be necessary to make sure that the examiner watched it.

It would be advantagous for them to get a rating other than a 'U', then they can submit an appeal in which:

quote:
On receipt of a written request for reconsideration, the BBFC will ensure that the work, or the relevant parts of the work, are viewed again, including by senior staff.
For maximum effect the whole film would have to contain swearing, forcing the senior staff to watch the whole thing!

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 12-09-2015 06:32 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Binaural beats in Atmos? [Wink]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhIbIf8UtMA

The Song that Doesn't End? [Eek!]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0U2zJOryHKQ

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-09-2015 08:40 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe the sound of a dog barking. Then after about 15 minutes he stops barking JUST long enough for you to think he's done barking, and then he starts again only louder. Repeat.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: