Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Star Wars Marathon - Which Versions? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Star Wars Marathon - Which Versions?
Geoff Jones
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-19-2015 10:50 PM      Profile for Geoff Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Geoff Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I called Harkins Northfield to try to find out which versions of Star Wars they are showing for the December 17th Marathon.

He didn't really understand the question. ("They're they digitally remastered versions.") So I asked him the running times. The times he quoted me were those for the original theatrical cuts, not the special editions.

I assume his times were incorrect, and they are actually showing the SEs. Can anyone confirm that?

These are the times he gave me:
Star Wars (2h 1m)
Empire (2h 4m)
Jedi (2h 14m)

I also asked if the marathon was going to be on the big screen (Cine Capri). He said no, they're showing it in one of the small 3D equipped auditoriums so that they can show Ep 7 in 3D.

|  IP: Logged

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-19-2015 11:39 PM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm wondering the same thing, even though I have no intention of actually going to this show. Will ALL movies be converted into 3D, or will they at least be showing the existing conversion of Episode I (I heard II and III were done as well but hardly shown anywhere?) And will Empire and Jedi include the Fox intros or the new shorter "Lucasfilm" intro that is on the "digital" versions that came out a few months ago?

Too bad the ideal theaters to show this marathon at (the Century 21 or 22 in San Jose) are currently sitting empty! I WOULD go see them THERE!

quote: Geoff Jones
I also asked if the marathon was going to be on the big screen (Cine Capri). He said no, they're showing it in one of the small 3D equipped auditoriums so that they can show Ep 7 in 3D.
So the biggest screen at that theater ISN'T equipped for 3D? [Confused]

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 10-20-2015 09:14 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Cine Capri screens have single projector systems. They would need a dual projector system or maybe even a laser-based setup to throw on acceptably bright image onto those big screens.

I don't know if the projectors in the Cine Capri houses are 2K or 4K, but it probably doesn't matter since so many big movies have 3D versions, which stunts them down to 2K anyway.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-20-2015 12:36 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I asked our film booker about which versions they are, if he knows I'll post the information here.

EDIT: He has no idea.

If they were smart they'd use the original versions, and then put all of them on sale on Blu-Ray right after the new movie opens.

Mark Campbell
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-20-2015 12:43 PM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Cinerama here in Seattle lists them as:
2D “original” theatrical releases

Not sure why they put the word "original" in quotes.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-20-2015 12:53 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You would think if they WERE the real original versions, they'd trumpet that fact, knowing how much love there is out there for those versions.

Of course there is the fact that George Lucas famously said those versions no longer exist, so...

Geoff Jones
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-20-2015 07:50 PM      Profile for Geoff Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Geoff Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for asking Mike - I appreciate it!

I emailed the Cinerama and they wrote back to say:
quote:
Yes, original theatrical for all 6 films.
(The Cinerama has sold out, btw.)

I purchased tickets for the marathon at Harkins Northfield. They told me it would be okay to show up for just the last three, and they also told me I could return them and get my money back if I needed to... which I will do if this turns out to be a hoax. [Wink]

If anyone gets any more info about which version they are showing, please share. I'm having a hard time believing it. I never thought I'd see the original/theatrical Star Wars trilogy on the big screen again.

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-21-2015 12:33 AM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Somehow I doubt they'll be the ORIGINAL versions, but someone can prove me wrong when they see them. I'm hoping for an eventual Blu-Ray release but even taking out the 20th Century Fox opening is a deal-breaker for me.

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-21-2015 02:51 AM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm wondering why the marathon is so limited too. Is it a case of Disney being restrictive or certain theaters just not wanting to book it.

I'm also wondering if they'll have rules on arrival: I can easily see people buying tickets and skipping the prequels. Not a big deal for reserved seating houses, but for general admission, that could be fun to police.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-21-2015 10:34 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know about the marathon, but for the new movie there definitely are rules.

- 4 week minimum booking
- Has to play in the biggest house for the duration, and if you move it to a smaller house (and they find out), 6% film rent penalty
- Not allowed to sell advance tickets until after that commercial aired Monday night

I think there were a couple others I can't remember.

Jonathan Althaus
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-21-2015 02:53 PM      Profile for Jonathan Althaus   Email Jonathan Althaus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well tickets went on sale before the trailer aired during the game. And I'm assuming the "must play in the largest house" rule is going to hurt H8

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 10-21-2015 03:02 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
if you move it to a smaller house (and they find out),
Wasn't one of the requirements of DCI the ability of the distributors to track what house/projector their movies are showing in/on? I know they are not tied in everywhere, but it seems like something they would mandate now.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 10-21-2015 07:11 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Easy way to mandate...only issue KDMs for the "large" theatre...if you don't have the KDMs to play it anywhere else, that pretty much keeps you honest unless you start moving your mediablock/IMBs around. Something an Independent might try to do but less likely for the big boys.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-21-2015 08:21 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well whether you're hooked to the net or not, the studios have the right to examine your projector's logs so they could find out what played where if they wanted to.

I think Disney in this case is giving operators the option of moving to a smaller house, but paying the penalty. It's a little improvement on some older deals where they just mandated you HAD TO keep it in the big house for the duration (and there were probably a lot of unauthorized moves).

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-22-2015 05:09 AM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is the 6% penalty just for the weeks that it is in the smaller house or is it retroactive for the entire run?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: