Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Theaters to visit in Chicago area (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Theaters to visit in Chicago area
Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-08-2015 08:31 AM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll be visiting Chicago for the first time the week after next. I know very little about the city (yet; I certainly plan on doing some research before I go). Are there any must-see theaters (cinema, not live theater) in the area? Even if there are no "classic" cinemas or palaces or anything like that, anyone know of any locations that are known for stellar presentation quality should I wish to catch a flick while I'm there?

|  IP: Logged

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 10-08-2015 09:32 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You'll need to visit Steve Kraus' screening room and sit in Roger Ebert's chair.

I'm wondering if the ShowPlace ICON at Roosevelt Collection theater is a good multiplex. It's in downtown Chicago. It has at least 2 or more Dolby Atmos equipped screens.

Frank Bolkovac
Film Handler

- posted 10-08-2015 09:38 AM      Profile for Frank Bolkovac   Email Frank Bolkovac   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My opinion...if there are no "classic" or Palaces, It will be (same old=same old.

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-08-2015 03:18 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Definitely see if you can visit Steve.

I recommend going to the Music Box as well. They typically have great programming and it's a neat old theatre. Sure, it has its shortcomings but still a fun place to see a show.

The Chicago Theatre. At least walk by it and check out the marquee.

AJG

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 10-09-2015 07:48 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As it happens, I will be in Chicago on Monday and Tuesday of next week, so I am also watching this thread....

Scott Jentsch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-10-2015 02:42 PM      Profile for Scott Jentsch   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Jentsch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Kerasotes ShowPlace ICON at Roosevelt Collection isn't walkable from downtown (most of the downtown destinations), but it's worth seeing a movie at for its Atmos installation. The restaurant there is actually pretty good, but it's not a historic or architecturally significant location.

I've not been to any of the historic theaters, such as the Music Box, but I agree that walking past the Chicago Theater at night is a sight to behold!

The best movie theater (sound and picture-wise) was the McClurg Court on Ohio, but that's long-closed. I've heard the Navy Pier IMAX is not worth going to, and the Omnimax at the Museum of Science and Industry is not any better or worse than any other museum-based dome IMAX (the museum is definitely worth a visit!).

You're almost better off visiting movie locations instead. There are so many recognizable locations in the downtown area.

It's not available at any movie theaters, but don't miss Garrett's Popcorn while you're in town!

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 10-10-2015 04:31 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agree on the McLurg Court being excellent. Did a lot of audio work there.

Eden's was an interesting place with a floating screen. Had not seen one before early '80's.

Matt Russell
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-11-2015 01:03 AM      Profile for Matt Russell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As someone who lives close to the Chicago area, ShowPlace Icon cannot be missed! Been there on multiple occasions and it's always perfect, service is fantastic, presentation is top-notch, and seating is comfortable and even for reserved isn't that much of a hassle. If you wanna see something big in 3D, Navy Pier's IMAX is incredible and is known for being one of the best IMAX theaters in the world. Try seeing something like "The Walk" there, and it's just an immersive presentation. However, the price is high and Navy Pier is a pain to deal with in terms of parking, so I highly consider only choosing to go see a movie there if it's something you actually wanna see badly, or else I recommend skipping it. Outside of Chicago, Evanston Century 12 is a favorite of mine that shows movies properly (no cropping for scope, for example), has great food including a built in Starbucks and gourmet candies and ice cream, as well as a separate bar right next to the Cine Arts section, so it's definitely a great date-night place to go. One more is AMC River East 21, which is considered to be the "flagship" AMC theater of Chicago. It's definitely nice, but they charge a lot for tickets (2D movie prices for after matinee is over $12.50 for adult and it's not in any special PLF format). It is right in the heart of the city though, so it's a nice place to go after strolling along the town. Hope this helped! [Big Grin]

Steve Matz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-11-2015 05:08 PM      Profile for Steve Matz   Email Steve Matz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You might also want to do some site seeing of Past Projector Mfgers like MOTIOGRAPH - DEVRY - AMPRO - B&H, etc., that were all Chicago based, just to see what resides where they once were... [Smile]

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-11-2015 08:37 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And why not visit one of the site of one of the most famous theaters
in Chicago history: The Iroquois Theater (24 West Randolph St) where
over 600 people died as the result of a fire in December of 1903.

It was the single most deadly fire in US history. Many bodies were almost
reduced to ash, making individual identification impossible & so they were
buried in mass graves. It was a horrible disaster.

But it was out of this tragedy that many safety laws were put 'on the books'
for mandating places of public assembly to have crash-bars, and exit doors
that open outward (that seems like a no-brainer!), sprinklers, lighted exit
signs, seperate emergency lighting circuits, exterior fire escape stairs from
balcony levels, and more.

The original theater burned to the ground and the one that replaced it
was torn down decades ago, but there's still a (live venue) theater
on the site today.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-12-2015 03:30 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sam, Edens and McClurg are both gone. I believe the McClurg building may still be standing. Not 100% sure though.

Theaters to see...

Chicago Theater
Cadillac Palace Theater
Oriental Theater

Conrad's sound head and projector collection
Carey Williams projector & Camera collection (largest in world).

You should also friend Tim O'Neil on Facebook, he was Chicago's last carbon arc projectionist. He can tell you way more sites to see than anyone else can.

Oh, and if they're playing.... the Cubs at Wrigley Field.

Best Pizza.... Home Run In
Lou Malnatti's is a tourist trap.

Eat pizza then let a good fart on Rogers chair!

Mark

Matt Russell
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-12-2015 09:51 PM      Profile for Matt Russell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A real tourist trap for pizza is Gino's East! No matter what anyone says, they've definitely downgraded the quality of their pizza to the point of staleness, specially when they charge around $20 for a pie. Uno's is pretty good, but a little pricy and you need to get good seating arrangements as it packs up often.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-13-2015 09:16 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would avoid that place! Highly overrated awful pizza.

Mark

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 10-15-2015 11:49 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am back and had a great time. I saw the Music Box (gorgeous) and the Gene Siskel Film Center (uninspired building, but great programming). The Northwest Chicago Film Society puts on an excellent film program at Northeastern Illinois University, though the venue itself is recently constructed and not super-exciting.

I can also recommend the Art Institute of Chicago (the large art museum) and a walk through downtown. Millennium Park is worth a visit, though I don't understand why everyone loves the giant bean sculpture.

If you have more time than I did, the film locations suggestion is probably a good one.

Public transit in Chicago is good, and I had no trouble getting around on the CTA, including to and from ORD. A rental car would be an unnecessary hassle and expense for someone looking to stay in the downtown area.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 10-16-2015 11:38 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Beggars Pizza in Lansing you get the grand Barton theatre organ playing as well

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: