Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Apple Watch (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: Apple Watch
Terry Lynn-Stevens
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-09-2015 10:49 PM      Profile for Terry Lynn-Stevens   Email Terry Lynn-Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How do people on the board think this new device will do?

I have a hard time believing that there are going to be a ton of people wanting this thing. I understand that Apple has a lot of iPhone users so I am sure it will sell some. The cost of the watch starts at $350 and it must be paired to an iPhone. For a phone with a nicer design the price goes up.

I have been reading some of the caveats:

-18 hour max battery
-Needs to be charged every night
-What about becoming obsolete when version 2.0 comes out
-power users are going to have some serious battery drain
-will the pairing with the iPhone drain the battery
and there are some others.

I personally do not wear a watch, I haven't in almost 25 years, I do like the idea of the health stuff like fitness or heart rating, not so sure about Apple Pay or getting emails on my wrist. If the cost was under $200 I could maybe see it working.

I do understand that Apple has very good marketing and a loyal Kool-aid drunk following, but I think this might be the first major Apple flop since the iPhone was released.

|  IP: Logged

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 03-10-2015 01:47 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can't wait to have the "App experience" on my wrist...

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-10-2015 01:50 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've only ever worn a watch when I worked at a movie theater and also high school so I could count the seconds until the bell rang. And also for riding the public bus to and fro during that time of my life. I can't see any advantages to such a device now especially if it requires you to already have a phone. But during my projectionist life it would have been cool to, say, have a CA Link status screen on display everywhere I go and I could control the projectors and sound system from my wrist (as long as the phone was not required).

If anything, the watch should replace the phone. It'd be funny to see people talking into their wrists. They'd also have a hell of a lot harder time taking pictures which itself would be a virtue to society. Plus it'd be harder to lose.

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 03-10-2015 02:12 AM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-10-2015 05:20 AM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe that in cases like this, technology has developed past the point of its usefulness!

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-10-2015 08:43 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have no use for this, as this would be useless for me unless I was wearing glasses, something I only do now for reading.

Even if I could see the screen clearly without glasses, the screen is really to small to be useful.

Not being able to work for an entire day without a recharge is a show stopper.

Being useless unless within Bluetooth range of my phone is a show stopper.

Requiring an iPhone is definitely sales limiting.

Ultimately, I think this is a solution in search of a problem. Because it is Apple, I think it will be successful, but as a niche product. I don't think there is a mainstream need out there for this.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 03-10-2015 11:43 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The believers will buy them, they drink any flavor koolaid Apple offers.
Watches, in general, are fashion accessories now. There's a video of a man asking 20ish people what time it is but they pick only people wearing a watch. They all ignore their watch and check their phones for the time.

There was another product in the apple announcement - a new macbook with odd features, especially having one USB-C port for everything... a grand total of exactly one port for charging, mouse, video... so you're on the hook for a costly ($80.00) adapter (from apple, there are/will be cheaper alternatives for sure) if you dare want to charge it and use a mouse or USB stick as well.
I think apple has done a lot for laptop computer design, but this idea sucks. I'm glad I'm not paying apple prices for the revolution in laptop design though (I remember when all laptops were thick, heavy, had horrible displays, and were slow... ): I can get most of the improvements apple pioneered in any brand wintel laptop. And almost always get an SD socket, HDMI port, multiple USB ports, separate charger socket... plus more memory and roomier HDD... cheaper. A lot cheaper.

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-10-2015 12:41 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Normally, I would have been working backstage on the rear-screen projection
crew at that big APPLE event yesterday, but I had a couple of previously
scheduled commitments that kept me from being there.

As for the product itself- I just don't 'get it'.

For one thing, who wants to charge their watch every 18hrs?
Some of my work days are longer than that!

And, as others have said "Who wears a watch anymore, anyway?"

Although I have a couple of nice "dress watches", most of the time, if I
wear one when I'm working, it's an el-cheap-o (under $20) plastic one
since I often have to work with my hands/arms in tight spaces and a
good watch would only get all scratched up, and a metal band might
short-circuit some of the equipment I work with in certain situations.

When the battery ran down, it was usually cheaper just to buy another
one than to change the battery. I used to buy them at Wallgreens, but a
couple of years ago, they stopped selling them. When I asked why they
no longer carried them, the clerk told me "nobody buys watches anymore"

So now, when I need to replace one I just usually get one from Hong
Kong cheap on e-bay.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 03-10-2015 01:01 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
IMHO, the biggest Apple-related news was HBO inking a deal with Apple to have HBO's new streaming service exclusively on Apple TV. You get HBO for $14.99 per month without needing an overpriced cable/satellite package pinned to it. That, and the price break to $69, ought to dramatically improve Apple TV device sales. Lately other devices like Roku and Chromecast have been doing very well in that market segment. The HBO deal definitely gives Apple an advantage.

Regarding the new MacBook, I'm not interested in a super thin notebook that has only one USB port. That just sucks. Any notebook needs to be able to connect at least a mouse and external hard disc without an adapter that could risk burning up that lone USB port. Not that it matters. I won't fart around with notebooks whose screens are any smaller than 15". I'm sure this new MacBook will appeal to those who like carrying around a notebook exposed like it's a fashion accessory or status symbol. Normal people carry a notebook in a case, which unfortunately hides the holy Apple logo.

The iWatch does indeed seem like a solution in search of a problem. Not only that, but it's needlessly adding complication in the market segments where it wants to compete. FitBit wrist bands can get pretty expensive; the biggest model costs $250. But the FitBit doesn't require you to have a freaking iPhone paired up to it to work. I'm looking forward to the visual comedy that will take place when iWatch wearing people start showing up at the gym. It will be funny watching them fumble around with their phone and their watch before doing anything.

Again, I'm sure the iWatch will sell pretty well since it's an Apple product. We'll certainly see some celebrities and über-douchebags showing off the $10,000 18K gold version. That version of the watch could cause other problems though. Imagine an unwitting Apple fanatic blowing $10,000 on a gold iWatch, but spent only $3000 on his wife's wedding ring.
[Eek!]

quote: Jim Cassedy
For one thing, who wants to charge their watch every 18hrs?
Yeah, really. Especially these days when you have watches like Kinetic watches that require no charging or other power sources at all it seems pretty silly to sell a watch that has to be charged every day. But the iWatch will get charged right alongside the iPhone since it's really just a high priced accessory for an iPhone. I'm sure Apple's marketing will pressure customers about that. No iPhone is complete without an iWatch to go along with it.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-10-2015 01:05 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would say the biggest problem with this thing is the size of it. A watch, even a pretty good sized one, has a smaller face than the Apple Watch does and can be curved, circular, oblong, whatever. For ladies, forget it...a fashionable watch might have a face of a 3/4" or less.

So they're going to have something that fashion-conscious people won't want to wear because it looks dorky, and if they make it small enough to not look dorky, then it'll be too small to be useful. And most of the people, even the ones who don't think it's dorky-looking, don't wear watches.

All of that said, I have long been in awe of Apple's marketing department, so...this could still work.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 03-10-2015 01:14 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the iWatch had a brand other than Apple it would look dorky.

Style-wise, the iWatch is big, but not masculine looking. It looks like a toy next to men's sport watches and dress watches. The face is indeed too big for women's wrists.

Any other electronics company or watch/jewelry company would have to deal with those issues. Apple doesn't because Apple is Apple. I'm sure celebrities will be wearing the $10,000 version, even female celebrities.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-10-2015 01:53 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For what it's worth, Hollywood Reporter does a whole "special issue" every year devoted only to watches. They have million dollar + watches in there.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 03-10-2015 05:53 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's not surprising. Good accessories for a $1 million watch: a $20 million mansion and $30 million yacht. Nevertheless, I would expect that same watch issue from Hollywood Reporter to include that new $10,000 gold iWatch given all the Apple product placement in so many movies and TV shows.

The Gold iWatch is a unique douche bag item in that it's basically the same item as common folks with standard incomes can buy, just in a package $9650 more expensive.

That gets me thinking about all the smart phone theft related street crime. A gold iWatch could be a big invitation to get mugged in some places. I can also see people buying functional standard priced iWatch models and then modifying them in an attempt to pass them off as $10,000 gold models. It's bound to happen. During my time in New York City I saw plenty of street vendors selling bogus Rolex watches.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 03-10-2015 06:23 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if the iWatch, especially the Gold, is upgradable. How long will it be useful (as they define usefulness)?
Kinda like digital projectors, you'll never see a 50 year old iWatch, but you'll pay extra for a 50 year old Rolex.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 03-10-2015 06:46 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The limited battery life should be a deal-breaker for many people. Even the cheapest wind-up clock will run for more than twenty-four hours without attention.

As for laptops, I rather _dislike_ what Apple has done to laptop design. Glossy LCDs, chiclet keyboards, lack of connectivity (bring back serial ports! or at least Ethernet!), non-removable batteries, and non-user-serviceable parts are all awful ideas that started with Macs and spread (like cancer) to many PC laptops. The only good thing that Apple ever did in its laptop designs was the magnetic power connector which, oddly, seems to be about their only design element that has not been copied by the industry as a whole.

That said, the watch is an Apple product, which means that it will probably be a hit despite its high price and the fact that it will be obsolete in five years.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: