Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » It's so easy to pirate content, some people don't believe it's pirated (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: It's so easy to pirate content, some people don't believe it's pirated
Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 02-05-2015 02:01 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was at my accountant's office today and his secretary, a woman in her early 30's, said, "I see that you're playing American Sniper. I watched it on television a while back, and liked it quite a lot."

Turns out that she has some gadget called a Showbox that attaches to her television and allows her to watch, in her words, "all kinds of movies and television shows, sometimes before they are in the theatres and all for free!"

Never having heard of Showbox, I said that it must be some kind of a pirated content service but she said, "Oh no, it's perfectly legal" and she wasn't trying to kid me. She really believes that, and I think you would have a very difficult time convincing her otherwise.

It's now become so easy to obtain pirated movies that at least some of the people who are watching them don't even realize that it isn't a legal service.

|  IP: Logged

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-05-2015 02:29 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have never used it, or even heard of it before Frank's post.

Showbox Link

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 02-05-2015 02:50 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The fact it's not available in the App store should be the first clue it's not on the up and up.

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 02-05-2015 02:59 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's my understanding that she has an actual dedicated "showbox" gadget that she purchased at a store.

I know that the local hardware store here has some kind of an "android television box" for sale but I never looked at it since it wasn't of any interest to me. They had a sign up to advertise it a few weeks ago, though. Perhaps that's it.

If this is a device that you buy in a local store and hook it up to your television at home, I can see why most people would never question its legality.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 02-05-2015 03:14 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Obviously you can use the showbox stuff with a Google chromecast device. That goes for 35US$... go figure!

- Carsten

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 02-05-2015 03:18 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just did a quick search, and there are methods for getting it to play on Roku players, XBox 360, and SmartTVs.

If she's so ignorant as to whether the content is legal, I would guess it was set up by someone more tech savvy - probably using something purchased from an electronics store.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 02-05-2015 04:04 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Popcorn Time is another torrent application that has grown very popular for streaming pirated movies and TV shows.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-05-2015 05:26 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why do I get the feeling that this "Showbox" thing is basically a pipeline through which all your personal information will flow once you've connected it? It makes no sense why something like that would be completely free and not have any ads or anything.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 02-05-2015 06:04 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The minute they start putting ads on those kind of services is when the stuff gets interesting, because that's when a traceable money trail comes into the picture.

But sure thing, many of those services are most likely not as harmless to the end user as they seem, besides the fact that most of those services are indeed totally illegal in most places on this world. Or rather, the services themselves might not necessarily be illegal, but their usage sure is. (A rather interesting conflicting situation.)

I've heard of Popcorn Time and someone told me actually today he bought some "whatever box", probably an Android based media player that seemingly came pre-loaded with it.

Also, if you Google "Popcorn Time alternative", all kinds of stuff comes up, including one called Flixtor. Now, I've never tried this thing before, but looking at the screenshots, this looks just like Netflix and Amazon Prime, only with all the movies you otherwise couldn't have.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 02-05-2015 06:25 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Marcel Birgelen
The minute they start putting ads on those kind of services is when the stuff gets interesting, because that's when a traceable money trail comes into the picture.
There was a screenshot doing the email rounds a few months back of a Nigerian pirate torrent site showing a banner ad for an MPAA anti-piracy campaign.

Steve Matz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-13-2015 02:02 AM      Profile for Steve Matz   Email Steve Matz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just talked to an employee of CHARTER CABLE today. He says he has watched dozens of New Movies before they are in the theaters. Apparently before the film is released to Theaters. The Studio Burns a DVD/S that are sent to members of the Motion Picture Academy. Granted they have something like not for public viewing or whatever is across the top of the Video; but apparently some Academy Members are Burning extra DVD's to give to their Family/Friends. Every Film that is playing at our 14 theater Multiplex he said he saw more than a month or more before they ever hit the Theaters [Eek!] [Confused]

How many times are these Academy DVD's being burned over and over ????? Academy Members? "Who can you Trust anymore"

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 02-13-2015 02:17 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you haven't been living under a rock the last 10 years or so, you might know that those leaked "screeners" are probably the single biggest piracy problem around.

Exhibitors all over the world have jump trough all kinds of difficult hoops, have to buy extra-expensive, certified gear, all just to keep Hollywood's content secure, while on the other hand they keep leaking it out and giving it away on discs to Academy Members and whatever other award's jury members.

At least some of them claim that those discs they give to jury members, etc. are now watermarked, so they could, theoretically, quite easily follow it back to where the leak happened.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 02-13-2015 12:37 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You'd have thought that the problem of screeners would have been addressed by now, given the overwhelming evidence that they are a major source of leaks to pirates. Maybe the Academy could give its members a set-top box that enables them to watch nominated movies streamed directly from their own secure server through an HDCP 2.0 link to their TV? OK, even that's not completely secure, but it would be an improvement on mailing out thousands of unencrypted DVD-Rs and BD-Rs all over the place.

I suspect that the reason is more political. It's easier to blame kids videoing a movie on their phones in a theater in Pumpkin Junction, KS, than it is to admit that AMPAS members, many of whom are well connected and politically influential within the industry, are in any way a part of the problem.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 02-13-2015 03:00 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's another one called "DareTV" that's floating out there that does the same thing.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 02-13-2015 05:23 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The "watermark-on-screener" solution is also something the industry has claimed to have for years. If they really do have this capability, why is this still a problem?

Sure looks like Academy promotion is more important than protecting against piracy.

On the other hand, we all know it's those damned theatres that are causing all the trouble! [fu]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: