Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » IMAX Boasts 26% More James Bond ‘Skyfall’ (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: IMAX Boasts 26% More James Bond ‘Skyfall’
System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 10-24-2012 01:44 PM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 
IMAX Boasts 26% More James Bond ‘Skyfall’

Source: deadline.com

quote:
The filmmakers worked with the IMAX team in the post-production process to increase the aspect ratio of the film and designed the IMAX presentation of Skyfall to allow audiences to see up to 26% more of the originally captured image. The technical term for the proportional relationship between an image’s width and its height is called aspect ratio. A film made for CinemaScope 2.41:1, the standard in the industry, is cropped and uses only part of the image the movie camera captures. Like with Skyfall, we provide filmmakers with the ability to optimize their film’s aspect ratio for an IMAX screen during production by shooting with the extremely high-resolution IMAX camera (capable of up to IMAX® 1.43:1—up to 40% more of the picture) or in post-production (capable of up to IMAX® 1.90:1—up to 26% more of the picture). So what does this mean for moviegoers? You get to see much more of the original image, resulting in a full panoramic view that makes you feel part of the action.

[ 10-24-2012, 03:25 PM: Message edited by: Adam Martin ]

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-24-2012 06:47 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cinemascope is 2.41:1 now? Why does it keep getting .01:1 wider every few years?

Anyway, I can't wait to be part of the action, fighting alongside James Bond and sharing a beer with him. Because Bond drinks beer.

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 10-24-2012 06:49 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
middle age spread.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-24-2012 08:22 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's great, because every movie I've ever seen, I've wished there was more of the ground and sky showing. [Roll Eyes]

I think it's hilarious how every new innovation that comes along, they say it makes you "part of the action." I don't WANT to be part of the action, you morons....that's why I'm out here in the seats.

Ron Funderburg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-26-2012 03:23 PM      Profile for Ron Funderburg   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Funderburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is just like old standard def TV only bigger! But still it is just what you watch on the old TV set honest just the best thing every standard def TV and square pictures.

A Giant step for man A Giant step backwards for Mankind!

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-26-2012 04:51 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
That's great, because every movie I've ever seen, I've wished there was more of the ground and sky showing. [Roll Eyes]
Amen to that! All IMAX full frame does is screw up the composition of the image. [Mad]

quote: Mike Blakesley
I think it's hilarious how every new innovation that comes along, they say it makes you "part of the action." I don't WANT to be part of the action, you morons....that's why I'm out here in the seats.
The only new innovation that will EVER truly do that is the machine they built in the 1983 movie Brainstorm.

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-26-2012 05:28 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
2.20:1

Go 70mm or go home.

AJG

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 10-26-2012 05:29 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What? Now the boom mics at the top of the frame and gawkers behind the barracades on the set are now PART of the movie?

Used to be, we just cropped that shit out.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-27-2012 01:29 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
The only new innovation that will EVER truly do that is the machine they built in the 1983 movie Brainstorm.
Yeah, I definitely wanted one of those. (There's a movie that would be ripe for a remake. It could actually work in Imax -- they could make the "playback" scenes fill the whole screen. Or in 3-D --- the "real life" scenes could be flat and the playbacks in 3-D.)

Edward Havens
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-27-2012 12:33 PM      Profile for Edward Havens   Email Edward Havens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now that I've seen Skyfall (best Bond movie since the Goldfinger/From Russia With Love era, by the way), I can concentrate on watching the frame composition when I QC my IMAX digital copy.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-27-2012 02:58 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Mike the studios would jump on the whole 3D thing (and unfortunately the full frame IMAX thing), but we humans see more WIDTH than HEIGHT. That's because our eyes are BESIDE each other, not one above the other. IMAX full screen ratio has always been dumb. 2.40 is the closest ratio to actual human vision.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-27-2012 04:06 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's 2.41 now. 2.40 was just too narrow and restrictive.

quote: Brad Miller
we humans see more WIDTH than HEIGHT. That's because our eyes are BESIDE each other
Even with just one eyeball we see wider than we see tall. I mean that could be my caveman-like fore-brow limiting my height distance, but it seems to me that I still see wider when I close one eye.

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-27-2012 06:25 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
how can something be 'panoramic' when you're exposing more image vertically??

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 11-01-2012 09:42 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The article incorrectly states that CinemaScope is "is cropped and uses only part of the image the movie camera captures." This is not the case.

It also states that the scope aspect ratio is "the standard in the industry." Also inaccurate. It is one of two main standards, among several others.

Edward Havens
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-01-2012 10:37 AM      Profile for Edward Havens   Email Edward Havens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Manny Knowles
The article incorrectly states that CinemaScope is "is cropped and uses only part of the image the movie camera captures." This is not the case.
Well, that's not quite true. When someone like a James Cameron shoots a movie with the Super 35 process, only part of the image the movie camera captures is used. Maybe a Cameron movie isn't shot with the spherical lens that makes a CinemaScope movie a CinemaScope movie, but then how many movies are shot with actual CinemaScope lenses any more? Plus, with digital cinematography, the camera captures far more image than the filmmaker will use, regardless of where they ultimately set the aspect ratio.

quote: Manny Knowles
It also states that the scope aspect ratio is "the standard in the industry." Also inaccurate. It is one of two main standards, among several others.
While it is one of two main standards, my theatre plays about 50% more 2.39:1 features as it does 1.85:1 features on any given week. I can't even remember a time when I had as many or more flat features than scope.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: