Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » 'Apollo 18' Not Real Documentary (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: 'Apollo 18' Not Real Documentary
System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 09-06-2011 03:46 PM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 
'Apollo 18' Not Real Documentary, Claims NASA, But They Would Say That, Wouldn't They?

Source: iwatchstuff.com

quote:
As the latest trailer for Gonzalo López-Gallego's found-footage-horror Apollo 18 opens, a title card reveals, "The following is the recovered footage from Apollo 18." Thus, it would seem to we astute audience members that there actually was a hitherto unknown 18th Apollo mission, and during that mission, some alien ghost spider things killed everyone. Seems pretty cut and dry, right? SO YOU'D THINK. But as it turns out, it's maybe not fact that alien ghost spiders got inside an astronaut's helmet and made him scream while another astronaut filmed it. From the LA Times (via):

...after initially touting "Apollo 18" as one of its upcoming fiction film collaborations, NASA -- which, for the record, says the last manned mission to the moon was Apollo 17 in 1972 -- has begun to back away from the movie.
"Apollo 18 is not a documentary," said Bert Ulrich, NASA's liaison for multimedia, film and television collaborations. "The film is a work of fiction, and we always knew that. We were minimally involved with this picture. We never even saw a rough cut. The idea of portraying the Apollo 18 mission as authentic is simply a marketing ploy. Perhaps a bit of a 'Blair Witch Project' strategy to generate hype."

Listen, I can't tell you who to believe--NASA scientists, or the producers of a film about alien ghost spiders crawling around inside space suits--but let me just remind you that NASA has a history of just this sort of suspect denial. Can we take a look at the case of astronaut Buzz Aldrin v. Fly Me to the Moon, that shoddy 3-D movie about CGI flies tagging along to the moon?

|  IP: Logged

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 09-06-2011 04:04 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The idiots who think Apollo 18 is a documentary are the same idiots who thought The Blair Witch Project was real. Unfortunately, there are a damn lot of them.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-06-2011 04:15 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Of course this can't be real. We've never been to the moon lol lol lol!

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 09-07-2011 09:37 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
oh my -- it's come to this..?

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-07-2011 09:42 AM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
palms face

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-07-2011 01:20 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Somebody supposedly thinks if NASA or any gov't agency helps out with a movie, that means the agency is saying it's a true story?

For real excitement I'll go watch "The Final Countdown," the documentary about how we almost got to fight WWII again. It must be a true story because it was filmed on a real Navy ship.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 09-07-2011 04:02 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh now, if it weren't for all the gullible dingbats in this world a great deal of our entertainment industry would be left in shambles. America desperately needs these morons.

Just think about it. The cable "news" networks would lose much of their rabid audience forcing advertisers to go elsewhere with their TV ad money. Same goes for the trash TV networks and most "reality TV" shows. The networks calling themselves "MTV" and "VH1" would finally be allowed to die already (they don't play music anymore so who gives a shit?). We would see a rather large section of the video store -all the straight to DVD shit quality releases- vanish. Certain genres of the music industry would hit very hard times.

With this rather large number of couch potatoes taken out of the equation the ripple effect would hit everything from the health care system to the frozen pizza market.

So, c'mon, support this great nation and push the idea that Apollo 18 is real!

David M. Leugers
Film Handler

- posted 09-08-2011 11:24 PM      Profile for David M. Leugers   Email David M. Leugers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw this film last weekend and never once thought it would be real. It is entirely laughable to think that anyone believes it is real. It is just a marketing ploy to get customers in to see what is a very low budget sci-fi movie. Not a great film, but I enjoyed it. First tip-off that it is not real is recognizing one of the astronauts as an actor seen before and then they are supposedly shooting 16mm footage on the moon and lots of it with sound... yeah, right. Could never happen due to weight restrictions...

Hillary Charles
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2011 11:00 AM      Profile for Hillary Charles   Email Hillary Charles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
...NASA -- which, for the record, says the last manned mission to the moon was Apollo 17 in 1972...
"NASA...says" [Roll Eyes] Is the reporter suggesting NASA is hiding something (other than Armstrong's radio transmissions saying "They're watching us!")?

[Razz]

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 09-09-2011 12:11 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And the autobot ship.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-09-2011 08:18 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just as a disclaimer, I had forgotten that Apollo ended at 17 so I thought the movie was a fictionized story of some "other" thing on the moon during 18....but once I saw the tagline "There's a reason we never went back to the moon" I realized it was a total invention.

I do tend to agree with Bobby though....there is a whole segment of the population who believes everything in the National Enquirer is true, too.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 09-16-2011 03:57 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
who believes everything in the National Enquirer is true, too.

"Yellow Journalism" - anything written to make a slick buck.

Craig Dunn
Film Handler

- posted 10-05-2011 01:47 PM      Profile for Craig Dunn   Author's Homepage   Email Craig Dunn       Edit/Delete Post 
Had a couple of sweet older ladies come out and say "I see why Tom Hanks wasn't in this one..."

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-06-2011 04:49 PM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some people in this country have been so brain washed by certain radio talk show hosts, they will believe anything they want to believe.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 02-12-2012 11:43 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Martin McCaffery
The idiots who think Apollo 18 is a documentary are the same idiots who thought The Blair Witch Project was real. Unfortunately, there are a damn lot of them.
Same with Forgotten Silver, too. I was told that the broadcaster received literally thousands of complaints after Peter Jackson revealed that it was a spoof.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: