Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » "Phantom Menace" To Suck In 3D Next Feb (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: "Phantom Menace" To Suck In 3D Next Feb
System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 03-03-2011 03:38 PM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 
"Phantom Menace" To Suck In 3D Next Feb

Source: Dark Horizons

quote:
With the "Star Wars" saga being remastered for 3D, Lucasfilm and 20th Century Fox today officially announced a February 10th 2012 theatrical release date for the first effort of the batch - "Star Wars: Episode I: The Phantom Menace".

Those hoping to see "The Empire Strikes Back" on the big screen in 3D will have to wait until around 2016 it would seem as it's expected only one film a year will be churned out.

Until then we'll have to be content with the upcoming Blu-ray release of all six films on September 27th.

|  IP: Logged

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 03-05-2011 01:34 AM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A 3D re-release will be a EPIC flop

Jim Henk
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-06-2011 02:22 PM      Profile for Jim Henk   Email Jim Henk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doubt it. Much too much of a cultural icon.

Unless the whole economy tanks even worse than now, of course. But even in the Great Depression, people still went to the Bijou when they could cough up a few coins.

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 03-06-2011 03:17 PM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jim, Phantom is not a cultural icon

Geoff Jones
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-06-2011 03:40 PM      Profile for Geoff Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Geoff Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think Jim is right. This won't do gangbusters, but I think it will be successful. The bar is just so low these days.

But I predict the Titanic 3D re-issue a few months later will beat it.

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-06-2011 06:19 PM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No matter how bad Phantom and the other two are, they will do huge money. Because all the Star Wars fans will rush to see it. People bash on Lucas for rereleasing his films, and adding stuff. But the man knows his people, and they will see anything if its "New" or even if its the same old thing you've seen a hundred times already. The prequels will make easily atleast $100mil each. With the Orginal 3 making probably $150-250mil each. Remember how much tickets will be by that point.

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-07-2011 01:53 AM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I may go just to listen to the sound mix again in a proper cinema.

AJG

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 03-07-2011 03:02 AM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wonder if they will use the original EX Dolby or go with a new 7.1 Surround mix.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 03-07-2011 07:27 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Aaron Garman
I may go just to listen to the sound mix again in a proper cinema.
I might do that too if I could ever find one around here.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-07-2011 07:50 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mark. [Smile]

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-07-2011 09:44 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[QOUTE=Tom Petrov]Wonder if they will use the original EX Dolby or go with a new 7.1 Surround mix.
[/QUOTE]

I'm interested in knowing this as well, but even the audio specs for the bluray editions haven't been announced yet.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 03-08-2011 06:17 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, Joe! [Smile]

You're waiting for that thing I've been carrying around in my car! It's going out today. I promise.

[Smile]

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-09-2011 01:23 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hope they don't do a remix: the original one was FANTASTIC.

AJG

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 03-09-2011 03:34 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm completely over Lucas/Star Wars.

(this from a thx certified tech who made a lot of money putting in and selling Dolby racks) louis

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-09-2011 04:03 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Being a THX certified tech who installed "Dolby racks" has nothing to do with one's taste in movies/directors. I would certainly hope that liking Lucas and Star Wars was not part of the qualification to becoming THX certified.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: