Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Moore sues Weinsteins over 'Fahrenheit' earns

Author Topic: Moore sues Weinsteins over 'Fahrenheit' earns
System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 02-07-2011 05:38 PM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 
Moore sues Weinsteins over 'Fahrenheit' earns

Source: Variety.com

quote:
Michael Moore's Westside Production shingle on Monday sued Harvey and Bob Weinstein, alleging the brothers committed "classic Hollywood accounting tricks" to cheat the director out of earnings for 2004 documentary "Fahrenheit 9/11."

"Although Westside and Moore delivered an award-winning film that achieved major box office success, (The Fellowship Adventure Group) has failed and refused to share equally the fruits of the venture as the partners had agreed," claims Moore in the suit filed in Los Angeles Superior Court.

The "Bowling for Columbine" director is seeking more than $2.7 million in damages.

"It's hogwash," said Weinstein attorney Bert Fields, adding that he'll look to take the case to trial. "Mr. Moore knows that he has received every dime to which he's entitled ... I cannot wait to get Mr. Moore on the witness stand."

The suit names as the plaintiff the Weinsteins' The Fellowship Adventure Group, which was set up in the wake of Disney's announcement that it would not release "Fahrenheit 9/11" through its Miramax banner.

"Fahrenheit" is the highest-grossing docu of all time with more than $220 million at the box office.

|  IP: Logged

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 02-08-2011 06:18 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds about right. That's why Marlon Brando asked for 2 million dollars outright instead of points when he made LAST TANGO IN PARIS; it was considered a scandelous demand at the time. Everyone criticized him for it and then he finally explained that he had been burned by studios' "creative accounting" so often that he decided that he wanted his money up front.

I remember when ALIEN was playing to phenomenal box office and two of the young producers were on the Tonite Show, they told the story of how they were like giddy kids when the Broadway theatre, the National I think, had to keep adding late shows to accommodate the crowds until finally there were lines even around the block for the 3am show.

He said they were so excited they would drive out at night to see the crowds snaked around the block of the theatre. Then at the end of the week they would call the Fox accounting department to ask how much their take was that week. The accountant would tell them some paltry sum. The were in disbelief; they asked how was that possible as the theatre was doing sold out business and running continuous shows nearly 24 hours a day, closing only in the morning long enough to clean. It was explained to them that they shouldn't be fooled by the lines around the block -- it's the high cost of distribution that unfortunately was eating up a good deal of the gross. He said it seemed that no matter what the weekly grosses were, coincidently that was just about what the week's distribution costs came to. [Smile]

I hope Moore isn't going into court thinking that there is only one set of books in the Weinstein Group's accounting office.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 02-08-2011 09:48 AM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another example was Art Buchwald suing Paramount over Coming To America, a movie which cost about $40million and grossed about $300million worldwide, but never turned a "profit." Buchwald won, but I think when it was all said and done he lost money. He could afford it and only did it to make the point.

Hollywood bookkeeping is the living proof of the old joke:
How much is 2+2?
How much do you want it to be?

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 02-08-2011 10:15 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There was a good book written about the Buchwald vs. Paramount deal.
FATAL SUBTRACTION: The Inside Story of Buchwald V. Paramount.

Frank, When ALIEN opened on May 25, 1979 in Times Square, it played at the Criterion Theatre.

Greg Anderson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-08-2011 10:29 AM      Profile for Greg Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I smell another "documentary" from Michael Moore about this. He'll get his money's worth out of this.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 02-08-2011 02:20 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Frank Angel
I hope Moore isn't going into court thinking that there is only one set of books in the Weinstein Group's accounting office.
Get Elliot Ness onto it. He'll sort it out.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 02-10-2011 07:36 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's a punchline here about Michael Moore and Capitalism, but I can't put my finger on it.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 02-10-2011 08:40 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, yes. The good old "rolling break even." That's one of the terms used to describe shady accounting practices in Hollywood.

I think it was Eddie Murphy who coined the term "monkey points" in regard to how foolish it is to wait to get paid in points from box office profits rather than get paid up front.

It's a very common practice for movie studio accounting departments to perform all sorts of tricks in paperwork to hide profits to avoid paying talent. Lots of law suits have been filed over this problem. A couple year ago Tommy Lee Jones sued Paramount Pictures over non-payment of points from box office profits. Jones took a reduced fee up front in return for points to help No Country For Old Men get into production. The movie was a big hit and won the Best Picture Oscar. Yet the studios stiffed Jones on his contractually stipulated cut of the profits.

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-10-2011 01:01 PM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the past the same movie distributors would claim that the theaters were shorting THEM and they were waiting for their payments before they could pay anyone else. Back in the rolled tickets "write down your opening and closing number on the report" days before computer ticketing systems became more commonplace.

David E. Nedrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-10-2011 06:44 PM      Profile for David E. Nedrow   Author's Homepage   Email David E. Nedrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark M.
There's a punchline here about Michael Moore and Capitalism, but I can't put my finger on it.
To be fair, Moore and most other liberals aren't against Capitalism, just unregulated capitalism.

If everyone has to play by the same rules, then capitalism isn't generally the issue.

Greg Anderson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-11-2011 01:08 PM      Profile for Greg Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I suppose the real issue would have something to do with who's writing the rules. To avoid politics, I'll refrain from exploring the concept of "unregulated capitalism."

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: