Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » IMDB Thinks All Asians Look The Same

Author Topic: IMDB Thinks All Asians Look The Same
System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 01-17-2011 03:17 AM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 
IMDB Thinks All Asians Look The Same

Source: Slashfilm.com

-

quote:
Despite my reservations about his eventual performance, I was pretty thrilled when I heard that actor and Taiwanese mega-sensation pop music star Jay Chou had been cast as Kato in Michel Gondry’s The Green Hornet. Turns out, I was wrong all along; according to IMDB, it was actually Harold & Kumar star John Cho that starred in the film. Huh? Screenshot after the jump.

-

According to the IMDB page for The Green Hornet (via Firstshowing and Cineboobs), as of 9:45 PM EST this evening, it was John Cho that played Kato in The Green Hornet. As my colleague Angie points out, this has occurred despite the fact that Chou’s name is clearly on the movie poster that’s displayed, and despite the fact that that Chou and Cho have different resumes and are from different countries. Also, they are completely different people.

This is certainly not the only time that there’s been a mistake in in IMDB, but I think it ranks as one of the more high-profile ones. Chou may not be well-known in the U.S., but he is a superstar worldwide, having sold over 28 million albums.

So, well done IMDB! You’ve single-handedly elevated the profile of two Asian male actors for the price of one.

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-17-2011 01:15 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Screenshot after the jump.
WTF is a "jump"? Is that like a commercial break? I did not experience any jumps while reading this. Either restore the gddamn jump or edit this nonsense out.

I like jumping.

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-17-2011 05:20 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's interesting, becuase when we first started running
the trailer several months ago, I recognized Jay Chou from
several other films I'd run, but I couldn't remember his
name, so I looked up "The Green Hornet" on IMDB and he
was correctly listed back then. Strange!

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-17-2011 10:47 PM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like an IMDB poster was having fun and changed the actor. You could do this for anyone, I wouldn't doubt that Slashfilms did this, took the screen cap then wrote the story up.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: