Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Dolby Labs Hires Digital Veteran Doug Darrow To Run Cinema Unit

Author Topic: Dolby Labs Hires Digital Veteran Doug Darrow To Run Cinema Unit
System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 12-05-2011 03:50 PM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 
Dolby Labs Hires Digital Veteran Doug Darrow To Run Cinema Unit

Source: deadline.com

quote:
Dolby Laboratories has hired Doug Darrow to be SVP of the company’s cinema business, charged with developing and executing strategies to build Dolby’s leading cinema technology platforms. Darrow spent 24 years at Texas Instruments, where he most recently oversaw the development and marketing of DLP Cinema. There, he helped spearhead the exhibition industry’s transition to digital presentation and distribution with the deployment of digital cinema projectors and 3D d-cinema presentation, including on the first d-cinema release of Star Wars: Episode I — The Phantom Menace. He most recently was president and CEO of start-up Laser Light Engines, which is developing laser-illumination systems for high-brightness projectors. “Doug is a strong leader with a distinguished track record, and his broad experience makes him uniquely suited to realize the full potential of Dolby’s cinema business,” said Dolby EVP Sales and Marketing Ramzi Haidamus, to whom Darrow will report. “His vision supported the growth and adoption of digital cinema, one of the industry’s most important and successful transitions.”

|  IP: Logged

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 12-05-2011 08:49 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Bout damn time!" Louis

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 12-05-2011 10:56 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hear, Hear!

I'm glad you spoke first. I waited for you.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-06-2011 02:37 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gentlemen: Please fill us in on what this would do with Dolby with his hiring, for I'm ignorant with this and who he is.

thx-Monte

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 12-06-2011 10:08 AM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Given that Dolby has lost market share in server sales, 3D, and even in digital audio sales, they need to place more emphasis on this market.

Dolby is working on future technologies for cinema, so this hire signals they are taking it seriously.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 12-06-2011 03:11 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would EXPECT a world-beater Dolby projector with all options built in. All one piece. Louis

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-06-2011 05:18 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And with the reputation that Dolby has given to the industry, one can see that their offerings for digital cinema would definitely a worthy contender in the market.

Wonder if they'll pull a "VHS vs Beta syndrome" rabbit out of their magic hat in not so much as worrying in making the dollars, but just in making dimes, nickels and pennies so they can flood the market with their products and quality.

Be interesting to see the magic being performed.

-Monte

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 12-06-2011 06:25 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe it's a little late for Louis' dream projector. IMHO, best we can hope for in the immediate future is their full attention.

Better products with new ideas will follow I hope.

Sean Weitzel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-31-2012 12:30 AM      Profile for Sean Weitzel   Email Sean Weitzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dolby OLED screens

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: