Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » REGAL REBELS! Chain Threatens To Reduce Trailer Play Time For Colluding Studios (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: REGAL REBELS! Chain Threatens To Reduce Trailer Play Time For Colluding Studios
System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 04-06-2011 11:25 AM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 
REGAL REBELS! Not So Fast, Film Moguls: Chain Threatens To Reduce Trailer Play Time For Colluding Quartet Of Studios

Source: deadline.com

quote:
EXCLUSIVE: I've learned that Regal Cinemas has come up with a specific plan to fight that newest scheme by Fox, Sony, Warner Bros, and Universal to keep undermining movie theaters. This is all about that colluding quartet's plan going into effect as early as this month offering some major pics for a “premium” Video on Demand service on DirecTV at a price point of $30 only 8 weeks after the films' theatrical release. When word about this inconveniently leaked out last week at CinemaCon, the recent Las Vegas convention of studios and exhibitors, theater owners publicly expressed "strong disappointment" but privately went completely batshit. Now I'm told Regal Cinemas has decided to take matters into its own hands. My intel is that the theater chain's marketing people have just begun warning the marketing teams of the colluding quartet of studios that it's not going to be business as usual from this point on. Specifically, Regal is threatening to drastically reduce the amount of play time for each of the 4 studios' movie trailers in every Regal cinema. And since this comes right before the all-important summer movie season, when balmy ticket sales usually account for 40% of the film industry's annual revenue, it's a counter-attack with some real power behind it. Because cinema owners allow millions of hours of playing time each year to trailers promoting the movies booked on their screens. Now Regal is the first of these theater owners to calculate just how much that valuable screen time is worth to the chain's bottom line and to the studios that have collapsed the release window. The same consideration will no doubt be given to the acres of wall and floor space devoted to posters and standees. As NATO’s Executive Board noted in their open letter of June 16, 2010, the length of a movie’s release window is an important economic consideration for theater owners when it comes to how widely and under what terms they book a film.

I love the way the 4 studios are shocked, shocked, that Regal would dare to challenge them on this. The studios have been looking to find revenue to replace long-plummeting DVD sales (like deals with Netflix to expand windows on the streaming service), but they keep setting up a showdown with the big exhibitor chains who already are fuming about the low box office numbers during the first quarter of this year. Then again, no one is supposed to dare expose obvious issues relating to collusion, price-fixing, and anti-trust among the Big Media companies whose major studios are supposed to be business competitors.

Some of the colluding quartet's coming movies probably won't be hurt if they're installments of well-known franchises like Fast 5 (Universal), or The Hangover, Part 2 (Warner Bros), X Men: First Class (Fox), Rise Of The Apes (Fox), or Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows, Part 2 (Warner Bros). But new "original" movies could well be impaired by less trailer play like Green Lantern (Warner Bros), Mr. Popper's Penguins (Fox), Cowboys & Aliens (Universal), Zookeeper (Sony), and The Smurfs (Sony). It will also cost more to market them since more expensive TV ads will have to run.

Who benefits? Certainly Paramount and Disney which didn't join the quartet because of oft-stated piracy fears about early VoD which delivers a pristine, high definition, digital copy to thieves months earlier than previously available. Paramount and/or Disney have more than half a dozen summer blockbusters which could enjoy more movie trailer playing time by Regal: Transformers 3: Dark Of The Moon, Super 8, Thor, Captain America: The First Avenger, Pirates Of The Caribbean 4: On Stranger Tides, and Cars 2. Not that they need it because all appear to already have built-in audiences.

Here's my advice to Regal right now: Don't threaten. Promise!

The National Association of Theater Owners (NATO) already has bitched about how theater operators "were not consulted or informed of the substance, details or timing of this announcement" and how early-to-the-home VoD will import the problems of the home entertainment market into the theatrical market without fixing those problems. "The studios have not managed to maintain a price point in the home market and we expect that they will be unable to do so with early VoD. They risk accelerating the already intense need to maximize revenues on every screen opening weekend and driving out films that need time to develop — like many of the recent Academy Award-nominated pictures. They risk exacerbating the scourge of movie theft by delivering a pristine, high definition, digital copy to pirates months earlier than they had previously been available. Paramount has explicitly cited piracy as a reason they will not pursue early VoD. Further, [other studios] risk damaging theatrical revenues without actually delivering what the home consumer seems to want, which is flexibility, portability and a low price. These plans fundamentally alter the economic relationship between exhibitors, filmmakers and producers, and the studios taking part in this misguided venture.... In the end, the entire motion picture community will have a say in how the industry moves forward. These studios have made their decision in what they no doubt perceive to be their best interests. Theater owners will do the same."

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 04-06-2011 04:42 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OH SNAP! Regal is drawing the line and coming out with their big guns firing now! This will show those pesky studios! Regal means business, yo! I have never seen a move this extr3me during the entire history of the exhibition industry. All I can say is "OH MY GOD!"

Seriously, though, there's going to need to be more of a kick to the studios' nuts than this to get them to listen. You're fighting for your livelihoods, Regal, and you and AMC stand in the perfect place to send a proper message on behalf of the entire industry. I guess starting out with this message is OK, but the next message should be far more severe as in not booking the movie, period. Hurts in the short term but you win in the long term. Granted, you are public-owned and therefore all about short-term, but one can hope!

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-06-2011 04:44 PM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I laughed when I read this earlier on another site, because they are still going to book the movies and show them. Only thing they'll be doing is hurting themselves, if they wanted to make a point they wouldn't book the product and cut out a couple thousand screens from the studios. We all know that isn't going to happen anytime soon...

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-06-2011 07:38 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's a downside to having all those screens....they've gotta be filled. If enough bookers make decisions based on the VOD thing, studios will feel it in their pocketbooks, probably not enough to change their minds though.

Jim Henk
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-06-2011 09:01 PM      Profile for Jim Henk   Email Jim Henk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh independent film studioooooooooosssss...... Are you listening to this?

If the theatres did have a couple thousand screens going begging, what a diamond mine for you...

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 04-06-2011 10:25 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pick one studio and deal them out permanently. Louis

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-07-2011 02:02 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not running trailers is just shooting themselves in the foot. If they had any balls, they would boycott those studios releases, or at least any release that will be part of this VOD program.

Back in 1983, Universal did an experiment with the Linda Ronstadt film Pirates Of Penzance, releasing it day and date in theatres and home video. Every major and most independent theatres refused to play the film. The film tanked, and Universal did not try that stupid stunt again. Not running the trailers is like saying that you are going to give them a strong verbal lashing before you bend over and get fucked.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 04-07-2011 04:32 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You are correct that theaters boycotted that film back in 1983, but here's a little more information on that:
quote: IMDB
Pirates of Penzance was shown on a Los Angeles television movies channel - SelecTV - simultaneously with its theatrical release. This was only the second time that something like this had been tried - in 1956, Laurence Olivier's 1955 film version of Shakespeare's "Richard III" had its U.S. premiere in New York City and its television premiere on NBC on the same day. Like "The Pirates of Penzance", "Richard III" was also a box office flop, but unlike the former film, "Richard III" won universal acclaim from the critics, became a film classic, and was not boycotted during its theatrical run.

Ian Parfrey
Phenomenal Film Handler

From: Imbil Australia 26 deg 27' 42.66" S 152 deg 42' 23.40" E

- posted 04-07-2011 05:21 PM      Profile for Ian Parfrey   Email Ian Parfrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..and NATO will be as useless as always.

Louis has the right idea. Target one studio and tell them to bash their product-PERIOD.

This will isolate one studio and therefore will make it much easier to track the importance of theatrical release before DVD/VOD releases.

Just one question. Are distributors still charging theatres for trailers? If so, save yourself the money.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 04-07-2011 05:34 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the megaplexes booked the movies on just one or two screens instead of the usual 10 screens per site, the movie might just have more staying power in theatres from week to week.

I've always felt that the collapsed window BETWEEN SHOWTIMES is doing just as much harm as the window to video...

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 04-07-2011 07:20 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I definitely agree with that! There is no need for ANY movie to start every 10 or 15 minutes. If you have a popular movie, make some decent times and people will fit those times into their schedules to go see it. Make bigger and better auditoriums if you want extra ticket sales. And I mean BIG. I'd rather go to a 5 or 6-plex with 6 huge auditoriums than a 24-plex with 4 kind-of-big and 20 miniscule auditoriums.

Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-07-2011 08:41 PM      Profile for Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Email Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was going to write that you were both being unrealistic and that it would be too expensive to staff. I thought about it more though and if you staggered the showtimes properly you could do fewer, bigger screens on similar staffing levels as a larger multiplex. Definitely have to do reserved seating though otherwise people will join a queue and not visit the concessions stand.

My personal experience of working when we over-screen on big titles is quite positive though, as our customers didn't have to queue, they got great service and we hit all our targets on food spend.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 04-08-2011 01:20 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The multiple showtimes and the collapsed home-video window are symptoms of a bigger issue. Namely, movies today suck.

One of my fondest experiences was WAITING IN LINE FOR HOURS to see the reissue of "Star Wars" at Grauman's Chinese. The crowd was entertaining and the buildup to showtime was intense. Waiting was part of the excitement.

I don't mind waiting for a good movie. I probably would NOT wait in line to see most of what passes for movies nowadays.

I've always believed that the studios want the movies on so many screens so that the show never gets sold-out. Nobody gets turned away and everybody sees the movie in the first weekend -- before they can hear about how awful it was. By the time we know the movie sucks, it's too late.

So, actually, my fundamental belief is that better movies is what we need to save this industry.

Okay -- NOW you can accuse me of being "unrealistic" !

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-08-2011 02:31 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Manny Knowles
I've always believed that the studios want the movies on so many screens so that the show never gets sold-out. Nobody gets turned away and everybody sees the movie in the first weekend -- before they can hear about how awful it was. By the time we know the movie sucks, it's too late.
That isn't a belief, it is a known fact. The other half of that equation is that the studios get the highest percentage of ticket sales in the first weekend too.

Mike Frese
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-08-2011 09:26 PM      Profile for Mike Frese   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Frese   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad,

Lately the studios have been charging a flat % for the whole run. maybe 1 out of 6 or so has had the old sliding scale.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: