Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » What is an Oscar Worth at the Box Office?

Author Topic: What is an Oscar Worth at the Box Office?
System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 03-03-2011 03:44 PM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 
What is an Oscar Worth at the Box Office?

Source: slashfilm.com

-

quote:
t’s widely accepted that, with the right marketing push, an Oscar nomination can propel a moderately-budgeted film at the box office in a way that little else can — save for more money. But exactly how much of the success of past Oscar-nominated films has been due to their nominations? And how much more do the films that win an Oscar make over the rest of the nominees? Is that gold statue actually worth its weight at the box office, or are studios dropping millions of dollars to promote their Oscar contenders without much to show for it?

Attempting to get to the bottom of how much an Academy Award is actually worth, BoxOfficeQuant sorted through the nominees and winners from the past decade and configured their box office findings (through a series of graphs) based on award count, type of award and date relative to the Oscar ceremony. And to better gauge the value an Oscar win has on a film after the ceremony, they expanded their sample another decade while finding the difference between the expected box office revenue and actual revenue.

As for what the graphs tell us, there are a few interesting things to be gleaned:

Between 2000 and 2009, Best Picture winners have grossed on average $143 million while nominees have grossed $110 million. An estimate average of $14 million of the former gross can be considered a direct result of winning the Oscar.

Secondly, the Oscar winners made most of their revenue in the 5 months prior to the award ceremony, peaking heavily at the 2 1/2 month mark — around Christmas. While the nominees’ revenue also escalated around that time, the bulk of their revenue was generated earlier, during Summer — a time when the winners weren’t doing quite so successfully.

Lastly, movies with 3 Oscar wins or nominations made the most at the box office, with revenue progressively lessening with 4 and 5 wins/noms. Bizarre.

One note: For the two non-category-specific graphs, I’m not really sure what benefit there is in incorporating the box office grosses of nominees for the technical awards like Art Direction, Makeup, Costume Design, and Visual Effects (which is guaranteed to have a high box office since it’s always the tentpole FX-heavy releases that get nominated). That aspect of the study probably skews the results unfavorably. Just a minor nitpick.

Personally, I’d be curious to see someone measure the effect the Academy Awards have on home video sales, particularly to learn what a Best Picture winner rakes in compared to the rest of the nominees. I went to pick up a Blu-ray copy of 127 Hours from my local Best Buy the day it was released, and every copy had already been snatched up. The next day, the same was true of Best Buy’s 18 nearest other locations. Keeping in mind that this is a movie that failed to even surpass its modest budget while it was in theaters, clearly the Oscar buzz is doing the film some favors. (That, or some people just really want to know how the hell such a dreadful Oscar host got nominated for Best Actor.)

|  IP: Logged

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 03-03-2011 05:35 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's little, if any way to determine how much an Academy Award win would add to a movie's box office. Too many other variables are involved to get any accurate result.

The biggest problem is the Oscars are presented too late to make any difference in a movie's financial performance in theaters. Even with the awards show moved up nearly a month most of the nominated features have already played out themselves in theaters if they generated enough public interest to go into wide release in the first place.

Not all Oscar-nominated movies are released in December. Some nominated movies are already long gone from theaters by the February time frame, having been released months earlier in the Summer or even earlier than that. The Silence of the Lambs was released around Valentine's Day of 1991 and picked up Oscars for Best Picture, Best Actor, Best Actress and Best Director in March of 1992, over a year later.

I think an Oscar win might make more of a difference on home video. But then again, that's also going to vary on a movie by movie basis. I know some people who never heard of The King's Speech that now want to see it after seeing it do well at the Oscars. Other Best Picture winners, such Braveheart, Forrest Gump or The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King made big sums of money because they were highly entertaining to mainstream crowds. They would have raked in the dough anyway even without the Best Picture statue plastered on the VHS/DVD/Blu-ray box.

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 03-06-2011 12:03 PM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aside from the Best Picture and in certain circumstances the best actor/actress and supporting awards, I doubt an Oscar win helps at all. I can't see many people running out to catch "The Social Network" now that it picked up the Oscar for best score and a couple others.

There are some circumstances where it helps, I did see Crazy Heart on dvd and I checked out the Blind Side because the principal actors won the Oscar.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-06-2011 05:24 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not as much as the nominations are worth! After the nominations are announced and before the award show was one of the busiest times of the year at my old theater. We would sell out shows that were already rentable at Red Box for $1, but they paid full price to come see it at our theater instead and bought lots of concessions. You know we were doing pretty well with the film rent since the movies had been out for months and months (or on home video). And they are curious about most of the nominations and we usually have a good selection of them so many movies start doing crazy business. After the award show is televised, we see a huge drop-off in attendance.

It's too bad we weren't able to do that this year since we closed, though the mall we were in still stands without any kind of demolition prep and there are still two businesses physically attached to the mall still running.

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 03-07-2011 03:10 AM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
True Grit did benefit from 10 Oscar noms.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: