Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Paramount Goes IMAX in 2011, M:I4 to Have IMAX-Shot Scenes

Author Topic: Paramount Goes IMAX in 2011, M:I4 to Have IMAX-Shot Scenes
System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 01-14-2011 04:35 PM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 
Paramount Goes IMAX in 2011, M:I4 to Have IMAX-Shot Scenes

Source: Firstshowing.net

quote:
Earning quite a bit of good money on Tron Legacy, IMAX is on a roll right now and to keep it up, they need to line up some big stuff in 2011. Well - Paramount and IMAX officially announced that they'll be releasing four of their big tentpole movies from 2011 on IMAX: J.J. Abrams' Super 8, Michael Bay's Transformers: Dark of the Moon, Brad Bird's Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol and Spielberg/Jackson's The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn. Best of all, they say that Mission: Impossible will feature "scenes shot with IMAX cameras" that, like The Dark Knight, will feature a fullframe IMAX shots.

If you love seeing movies on a gigantic IMAX screen, then there's some good stuff coming up to enjoy on it (especially while we wait for The Dark Knight Rises), that's for sure. "Consumer demand for The IMAX Experience has never been higher," said Paramount's Rob Moore. "Coupled with the rising popularity of the IMAX brand, the growing number of IMAX screens and the increased interest from our top filmmakers to have their movies offered in this format, IMAX is and continues to be a key part of our release strategy." Always glad to hear them supporting IMAX. The Adventures of Tintin and Transformers 3 were shot in 3D and will be released in IMAX 3D, however Super 8 and the new Mission Impossible sequel won't be in 3D.

"When you combine the incredible storytelling talents of J.J. Abrams, Michael Bay, Brad Bird, and Steven Spielberg with technologies that transport the audience into the story, you create an awe-inspiring experience that takes movie-goers to places they only dream of -- and that is what the core and spirit of our partnership with Paramount Pictures is all about," said Greg Foster, Chairman and President of IMAX Filmed Entertainment. "We are very excited to share these amazing event films with IMAX exhibitors and movie-goers and look forward to working with these brilliant filmmakers as they showcase their talents in our format."

I'm most excited to learn that Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol is getting entire IMAX scenes, as those blew me away in The Dark Knight. We haven't seen that utilized again since Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen and that was kind of a waste anyway. This time though we have Pixar mastermind Brad Bird at the helm and know that he's dabbling in IMAX makes me anxious with excitement to see something from this new sequel already. No word on the length or exact number of scenes we'll see in IMAX, but the more the merrier. Super 8 will be released on June 10th, 2011; Transformers: Dark of the Moon will be released on July 1st, 2011; Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol will be released on December 16th, 2011; and The Adventures of Tintin will be released on December 28th, 2011. Which of these are you most excited for?

|  IP: Logged

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 01-22-2011 04:07 AM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is great news. I love how everyone talks 15/70 yet an annoucement comes out that it is going to be used....and nobody's talking.

It's also nice to see that some films will not be IMAX 3D and just 2D

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 01-22-2011 09:33 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like how this story references more and more IMAX screens going up and implies that it's a good thing for these movies being shot in IMAX when in fact the new theaters going up are digital and the movie goers to those theaters will barely be able to tell the difference between the IMAX shots scenes and the non-IMAX scenes.

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-24-2011 04:19 PM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Tom Petrov
I love how everyone talks 15/70 yet an annoucement comes out that it is going to be used....and nobody's talking.

What does that even mean? Its great news that when I show these movies this summer there will be some shots that show people why 15/70 is far superior to your Digital IMAX you talk so great about Tom.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: