Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Report: '3D films could damage market' (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Report: '3D films could damage market'
System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 01-12-2011 08:48 PM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 
Report: '3D films could damage the market'

quote:
A report has suggested that the film industry could be damaged by the overpricing and oversaturation of 3D movies.

The study by PricewaterhouseCoopers revealed that there are more than 40 releases slated for 2011 that utilise 3D technology, as a result of an eagerness amongst financiers to back the films over traditional 2D formats.

"So many people are keen - sometimes too eager - to finance 3D films," the authors wrote.

"This supply of funds in a globally difficult film-financing environment has led to a push for the conversion of some films originally envisioned as 2D into the 3D format. This often proves ill-advised."

Between 50% and 70% of box office revenue is generated by 3D, the report found, which "has helped the entire industry to increase its revenues despite a declining number of tickets sold".

However, it added: "Generally speaking, the sustainability of the 3D ticket premium is questioned by some players whom we interviewed."

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-12-2011 08:58 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nonsense! 3D is just as important and as effective as, say, sound. Or color. Or even moving pictures. 3D really brings audiences into the story and makes the package as a whole more engrossing. Ha ha just kidding, I'm just spewing horseshit here.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 01-12-2011 11:19 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think they need to bring smell back into the experience. When a fat 3D butt comes out of the screen at your face you should be able to smell it fart. Yeah. People will pay another surcharge on top of the 3D surcharge, big screen surcharge, big sound system surcharge and balcony surcharge to experience that!

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 01-12-2011 11:56 PM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I kind of agree that too much 3D might ruin things, but more for Hollywood stuff than for films in general.

Peter Howard
Film Handler

- posted 01-13-2011 03:25 AM      Profile for Peter Howard   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Howard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In my opinion, too much 3D will hurt your business. Sure, short term it's tough to say 'no' in a competitive market when your opposition across town is going to take the 3D, but if you're in a non-competitive market you've really gotta be selective and just take what you know the audience will pay to see in 3D.

This Christmas in Oz, we had Narnia (2/12), Megamind (9/12), Tron (16/12), Gullivers (26/12), Tangled (9/1), and Yogi Bear (today 13/1) available in 3D. The only titles we took in 3D were Narnia (which was ok) Tron (which underperformed), and Tangled (which overperformed). The others we just took in 35mm, not because we couldnt fit them in 3D, but because:

1) we didnt think 3D would add to the business we'd get in 2D on those titles, and
2) the surcharge turns off some of your audience, and
3) not everyone likes wearing glasses every time they go to the movies, and
4) the damn price of running that 2K! Bulb life burns quick ...

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-13-2011 04:01 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bobby, if that were the case, can you imagine just how fast a Jackass Smell-o-Vision movie would be made? People would see it, too (not me). Man, it'd smell just awful... and that'd be the crowd. Just wait until the movie starts!

Ben Wales
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-13-2011 04:23 AM      Profile for Ben Wales   Email Ben Wales   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just the other day, I witness a Cinema screening a (BluRay) DVD on a DCI Projector and they left on the DVD Player (Screen Saver) as people walked in and then you can watch the operator select the "Play" Menu [Roll Eyes] they should do this in 3D and charge an extra/extra Premium Seat Price [thumbsup]

Hillary Charles
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-13-2011 09:42 AM      Profile for Hillary Charles   Email Hillary Charles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think they need to bring smell back into the experience. When a fat 3D butt comes out of the screen at your face you should be able to smell it fart. Yeah. People will pay another surcharge on top of the 3D surcharge, big screen surcharge, big sound system surcharge and balcony surcharge to experience that!
The Idiocracy is just around the corner.

-

I've said it all along, I believe the surcharge will kill 3D. and it won't get any better regardless of the health of the economy.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-13-2011 12:03 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do think it's a huge mistake to make ALL of the kids' movies in 3D. The pendulum is swinging though because less and less of the sales are in 3D. The film companies won't let us offer a choice, though -- we have to pick 3D or 2D, can't have both. I can see us playing quite a few of the kid movies in 2D and saving 3D for the blockbusters or the few that really benefit from it.

Chris Mosel
Film Handler

- posted 01-13-2011 12:44 PM      Profile for Chris Mosel   Email Chris Mosel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hillary: That's my theatre in the photo. Somewhere I have the onesheet for ASS.

Hillary Charles
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-13-2011 01:00 PM      Profile for Hillary Charles   Email Hillary Charles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
LOL Chris! [Cool] Small world. So when do you think Carl's Jr. will buy you out? [Wink]

Chris Mosel
Film Handler

- posted 01-13-2011 01:15 PM      Profile for Chris Mosel   Email Chris Mosel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They are just down the steet and they do look at us kinda funny.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 01-13-2011 06:21 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
3D has already tanked in KY. About 40% of the screens book 2-2D prints unless the picture is very big (gross wise.) Louis

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-13-2011 07:42 PM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As I've said before, I would have gone to EVERY 3-D movie that's come out if they had been regular price. Since they're charging extra, I've seen exactly two.

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-13-2011 11:44 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Louis Bornwasser
3D has already tanked in KY. About 40% of the screens book 2-2D prints unless the picture is very big (gross wise.)
That makes me VERY happy! I wish I could have seen Tron in 2D DLP.

AJG

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: