Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » The Sequel Map – Which Sequels Were Better or Worse Than the Original?

Author Topic: The Sequel Map – Which Sequels Were Better or Worse Than the Original?
System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 01-05-2011 10:14 PM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 
The Sequel Map – Which Sequels Were Better or Worse Than the Original?

Source: BoxOfficeQuant

quote:
After Shakespeare penned Henry VI, Part 3, do you think anyone complained that Renaissance England had run out of original ideas? I’m not sure, but I can guarantee that anyone who’s seen Weekend at Bernie’s II wishes that most sequels hadn’t been made.

There are exceptions – Godfather II hit harder than the original. The Dark Knight took the start of Batman Begins and made it into either the most thoughtful action movie of all time, or the fasted-paced thoughtful movie of all time (at least until Inception) – but, sadly, far more films fit the rule – and more sequels fail to surpass their original work.

As evidence, all sequels with Rotten Tomatoes scores have been categorized below, with the originals’ scores on the X-axis, and the sequels’ scores on the Y. Films at the center line are sequels with the exact rating as the original; films above are sequels that have surpassed the original; films below, ones that fared worse.

-

Notes: Categorization of sequels is sometimes more art than science, so I’ve had to follow a few rules: I’ve only included the second film in any series, never third or following films. I haven’t included remakes or “reboots,” and I’m only presenting films which opened (at some time) in the US and have Rotten Tomatoes ratings.

And finally, it’s worth noting that the only two film/sequel combos to both score 100%, are the first two Toy Storys and the French films Jean de Florette / Manon des Sources.

Rotten Tomatoes ratings from RottenTomatoes.com. US Gross from www.the-numbers.com.

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: