Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » AMC Fork & Screen Review: A film critic's take (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: AMC Fork & Screen Review: A film critic's take
System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 01-01-2011 12:23 AM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 
AMC Fork & Screen review: A film critic's take

quote:
Fifty feet away from me, Anne Hathaway is all eyes and lips and curves. Jake Gyllenhaal is all hands. They fall upon each other like a pair of amorous wolves.

Fifteen feet away from me, meanwhile, a fat guy in a baseball cap is eagerly introducing himself to a slab of Tuscan Pepperoni Pizzetta. And somewhere close by there’s a waitress bringing chips and dip.

What’s wrong with this picture?

Well, it’s really what’s different about this motion-picture concept. Dubbed "Dine-In Theatres" by AMC, it’s now up and running in three New Jersey multiplexes, at West Orange’s Essex Green 9, the Bridgewater Commons 7 and the just-opened Menlo Park 12 (OPENS DEC 15).

The theaters have all been updated. At Essex Green, for example, five of the nine screens are "Fork & Screen," with comfy chairs and communal counters. The remaining are the posher "Cinema Suites," with push-button recliners and individual tables.

Theaters now feature brightly lit bars in the lobbies and continuous seatside service during the show. Want a martini, a bucket of Bud, a plate of fried calamari? Just push a button and a server will appear.

And, eventually, a bill.

Prices aren’t unreasonable; a pint of Bass goes for $5, a kids’ meal of chicken-tenders-and-fries (with soda) for $6.99. "We know there’s a TGIF here, too," explained chef Jason Henderson, nodding across the Essex Green parking lot. "We want to be competitive."

Not everyone seems ready to buy into the concept, however.

One local working-moms’ message board recently featured a discussion on whether the idea was kid-unfriendly. (Actually, it’s sort of meant to be; unaccompanied minors are banned from "Fork & Screen" theaters, and no one under 21 is admitted to "Cinema Suites").

And unprepared adults may be startled by the "Experience Charge" – an obligatory add-on of $10 or $15 to each $10 ticket, redeemable in food and drink, but not refundable. (And that’s the minimum; add drinks, appetizers, desert and a tip, and suddenly your date can cost $100).

"What if we don’t want the `Experience’?" asked a woman ahead of me in line, who arrived in the mood for a movie, not a meal. "Well, you see, the dine-in theater concept…" the clerk began. The woman and her date turned and left.

The concept, AMC public-relations director Justin Scott insists, has been a hit in other markets.

It still needs some rewrites here. Although servers were unfailingly polite, one dropped a tray during the screening of "Love and Other Drugs," the sound of apologies and shattering glass interrupting an opening scene. Courses arrived in the midst of plot twists

Eating in the dark added its own thrills, particularly when what seemed to be a won-ton chip turned out to be the plastic lid to a container of sweet chili sauce.

Admitted, the seats are cushy (although sitting in a recliner while being waited on made me feel like a blobby exile from "WALL-E"). And it’s great to see a neighborhood theater not only preserved but refurbished; I don’t miss the old Essex Green’s grimy carpeting, or men’s room "novelties" dispenser.

But giving people the comforts of home seemed to trick some people into thinking they were home. (At the screening I went to, fans talked even louder, and longer, than usual.) And there’s something terribly strange about trying to watch an even slightly serious film while a waitress is bringing out your Wings and Things Sampler.

In fact, the concept seems about as connected to motion pictures as dinner-theater is to drama. What’s wrong, after all, with giving a movie our full attention, and then going out afterward, to talk about it over coffee or a burger at the diner? Isn’t that part of the "experience" too?

Of course the AMC line is that they’re merely providing their customers with a choice; if you don’t like it, go somewhere else. And clearly there are people who want a place where they can sit and chat and nosh and watch a movie. I understand that. In fact, I already have a place like that.

It’s called my couch.

Stephen Whitty. (212) 790-4435 or swhitty@starledger.com

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

|  IP: Logged

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 01-01-2011 05:33 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wait....they REGISTERED the couple of centuries old phrase, Silence is Golden (r)?!! They think it belongs to THEM now? What are they effin kidding me? Screw these people where they breath. No way will that hold water. Hey, what's next? How bout registering just the word Silence(r) And why stop there; why not just registering every word in the dictionary while they are at it. What a pile-o- [bs] Someone needs to take these arrogant corporates down.

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-01-2011 05:49 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not that I agree with anything AMC does but I think what they have registered is not the phrase "silence is golden" or whatever but using the phrase in that context and manner. SO they cant sue you for saying "Hey buddy silence is golden" but they could for using it as a slide in a movie theatre.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 01-02-2011 12:47 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hasn't that been their trademark since, like, the eighties?

I've never seen another movie theatre use it.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-02-2011 12:55 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
The Screenvision preshow uses that exact phrase.

Ian Parfrey
Phenomenal Film Handler

From: Imbil Australia 26 deg 27' 42.66" S 152 deg 42' 23.40" E

- posted 01-02-2011 01:32 AM      Profile for Ian Parfrey   Email Ian Parfrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Silence is Golden while The Audience is Listening.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 01-02-2011 01:46 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My piss is golden, but not silent when it hits the toilet water.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 01-02-2011 04:44 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm, someone needs to trademark the registration symbol (r). That would then be (r)(r).

AMC did register Silence is Golden as far back as 1991 and the trademark is still alive. That just means they filed it, payed the fee and got the paperwork back. It doesn't mean it can't be challenged on merit. Bristol-Meyers also registered it for a cough suppressant as did some guy for ear plugs. The cough suppressant and ear plugs fulfill the Trademark Office's guidelines of the definition of a Trademark. AMC's use does not meet the criteria -- there is no product nor is there a service offered for a price. Commerce is the key here. Ear plugs are a product; cough medicine is a product; Silence is Golden as AMC uses it -- as a way to tell people to be quiet during a movie is neither product or service nor is it used to distinguish that manufacturer's product from anothers. AMC doesn't apply it to a product that can be sold commercially so does not meet these very clearly stated requirements. Strike 1m AMC.

When the mark it is not used to identify a product but instead to identify and distinguish a non-material entity such as a service which the applicant provides, then it is not a trademark but a Service Mark and it is identified by a (sm) symbol, not a (r) symbol. Strike 2 for AMC.

They are pissing in the wind here -- and the only reason it's silent is because it's blowing back in their faces. They might get a few points for clever, but they don't get the GOVERNMENT to give them legal, protected OWNERSHIP of the words. At best, they might have had a better chance if they sought copyright protection for the phrase. They would have a much more legitimate claim for copyright protection IF they could claim that they came up with the phrase, which of course THEY CAN'T. Strike 3.

They don't get to own EVERYTHING on the planet.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-02-2011 12:21 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why would they even pay to register such a slogan? Are people supposed to say "Oh wow, AMC always says 'Silence is Golden'. I'm definitely doing business with AMC theaters whenever I can because I know it is always going to be silent there as a result. Hell yeah! Now pass me the meth."

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-02-2011 02:01 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe the "circle R" thing is for the design of the Silence is Golden logo, rather than the words themselves? I dunno.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 01-02-2011 03:50 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
"Silence is Golden" and "Experience the Difference" are registered as service marks relating to movie theater services.

Service marks are generally used in the advertising of a service rather than the actual product.

If another movie theater is using these phrases, AMC could take legal action to defend their trademarks. If a company uses them for an unrelated product or service, no action may be taken. For example, "Silence is Golden" is also a registered trademark for a hearing protection device.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 01-02-2011 06:30 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Screw the trademark debate, I am appalled (but not surprised) that the bottom feeder of exhibition has copied an already successful business and cheapened the experience. [puke] [fu]

With AMC's penchant for shortcuts (no-masking ETX, etc.) I am surprised that they even serve the food on plates...and with utensils.

Bet this concept dies a quick death for them..and it deserves to.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 01-03-2011 12:19 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Adam Martin
"Silence is Golden" and "Experience the Difference" are registered as service marks relating to movie theater services.

Service marks are generally used in the advertising of a service rather than the actual product.

If another movie theater is using these phrases, AMC could take legal action to defend their trademarks.

Adam, the problem is, they are not claiming that "Silence is Golden" is a Service Mark, they are claiming it is a Trademark. They are not using the (sm), which is the correct symbol that designates a Service Mark, they are using the (r) symbol, which specifically means Trademark. These two protections are not interchangeable. And even as a Service Mark, this phrase does not qualify since it is not, in fact, a SERVICE that AMC is providing for a fee.

"Silence is Golden," at best is a clever way to remind the audience not to talk during a movie -- that is not a service that AMC offers; it's simply an admonition and sorry AMC, the government provides no protection for that.

"Experience the Difference" is a different matter -- there they MIGHT be able to claim that the service they are offering is a unique cinema presentation (luckily for them, the applicant doesn't actually have to prove it's unique, they just need to claim it).

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 01-03-2011 01:44 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Frank Angel
the (r) symbol, which specifically means Trademark
Incorrect. The ® symbol refers to any mark that has been registered. The "TM" and "SM" designations indicate claims to ownership of unregistered marks.

US Patent & Trademark Office: Basic Facts About Trademarks

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 01-03-2011 11:54 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I stand corrected; Basic Facts About Trademarks does state that (r) can be used to designate that either type of mark has been registered, whereas (SM) and (TM) are used where ownership is claimed but not yet filed. This is correct, but more to the point and as stated in my post above, the guidelines also specify that a registration can only be filed either for goods that the applicant sells to its customers, or for a service that applicant provides for its customers at a price. "Silence is Golden" is neither -- it is nothing more than a clever suggestion for a type of behavior they'd like from the audience during a movie. It is neither goods nor a service that AMC provides. It would be just as ludicrous for them to put the statement "Please Refrain From Talking" above the AMC Theatres logo and claim that is a service that could be trademarked.

AMC evidently DID register the phrase as a Trademark, but the Trademark Offices only reviews an application to the extent that it is filed properly and that the claim meets the criteria stipulated by the Office. The Office doesn't investigate the validity of what the applicant claims, only that it is filed correctly. If the applicant CLAIMS the mark they are filing for is a service, the Office doesn't investigate it, it accepts the word of the applicant. If the claim on the application is erroneous, someone would have to challenge it. This mark certainly is worthy of challenge.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: