Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Glenn Beck is the Godfather of Soul

Author Topic: Glenn Beck is the Godfather of Soul
Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 07-23-2014 08:07 AM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/videos/news/politics/southunionstreet/2014/07/23/13034481/
quote:
During a national Glenn Beck broadcast against Common Core Tuesday night, video failed for four minutes, though Beck's audio continued. As a result, the conservative commentator inadvertently spoke over a trailer for a James Brown biopic.
I don't know if this was national, or just our local AMC, but it is hilarious.

|  IP: Logged

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-23-2014 10:33 AM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What exactly was so hilarious? It was a presentation error where the wrong video was sent to the projector. I watched the first half of it expecting to be amused and nothing about it even caused a slight smile so I closed the window.

For it to be "hilarious" something on screen would have had to be ironic or humorous when juxtaposed against what he was saying. Hearing his introduction to his presentation while a trailer played isn't slightly funny. At least not in any way that doesn't violate forum rules.

Is it "hilarious" at a Regal if the audio from the first look (or whatever it is called) preshow plays while the video from the first trailer starts?

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-23-2014 11:00 AM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. Somebody is a Negative Nancy.

I'm curious what caused the trailer to play during the time the video feed failed.

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-23-2014 11:31 AM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Was this a National Cinemedia alternative content presentation?

Because I've noticed that they typically have had a lot of small technical glitches in the past. Similar to the one posted here.

The biggest problem with some of their stuff - if a single person makes a mistake - many theatre locations see the glitch at the same time.

I was present for one of these glitches once. I was fairly angry. I felt better knowing that thousands of people across the United States shared in my anger though. As messed up as that is.

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 07-23-2014 12:08 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sort of reminds me of WTBS back in the seventies when they ran the audio for a Dairy Queen ad under the video for a pro-seatbelt campaign using pumpkins as examples of why it's not safer to be thrown from a crashing car.

A pumpkin went sailing through the air, hitting a tree and splitting open, while the jingle "When you buy a burger at Dairy Queen, we treat you right" played underneath.

Could not have been more perfectly timed.

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-23-2014 12:18 PM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Ken Lackner
Wow. Somebody is a Negative Nancy.
Not a Negative Nancy. It was just after watching the video and finding nothing about it to be funny (and I tend to have a good sense of humor), I strongly suspected that the only reason the OP found it "hilarious" is because of who the speaker was. It seemed to me that the thread was created in a way to try and skirt the forum rules against political discussion.

If it actually was funny then I wouldn't have suspected that but there is truly nothing humorous about the error. Had it been part of Beck's presentation talking about racial issues or something then it would have been funny because of the juxtaposition. A boring introduction to a presentation with images from a trailer for a movie about James Brown playing on screen just isn't funny.

Notice that there is no sound of laughing that can be heard on the video and I can guarantee you that there were people in the audience there that don't subscribe to Beck's line of thinking. At least a few people would be there to report from the other side and even they didn't find it funny.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 07-23-2014 12:28 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you don't see the ironic juxtapostion of James Brown and Glenn Beck, then oh well. No politics were involved, just a public figure in a cinema related setting

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-23-2014 01:10 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Lyle Romer
It seemed to me that the thread was created in a way to try and skirt the forum rules against political discussion.
It seemed to me that this was nothing more than a light-hearted discussion of a technical glitch. As Martin mentions above, no politics are involved.

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-23-2014 03:15 PM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Ken Lackner
It seemed to me that this was nothing more than a light-hearted discussion of a technical glitch. As Martin mentions above, no politics are involved.
The fact that Martin mentions finding humor in

quote: Martin McCaffery
the ironic juxtapostion of James Brown and Glenn Beck
kind of makes my point. There are implications in that statement that can't be construed as anything but political/idealogical.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 07-23-2014 04:46 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To me he will always be the morning guy on WRKA 103.1 in Louisville. He drank then.

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 07-23-2014 08:23 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Louis Bornwasser
To me he will always be the morning guy on WRKA 103.1 in Louisville. He drank then.

He should try it again.

Steve Matz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-23-2014 09:29 PM      Profile for Steve Matz   Email Steve Matz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Getting Audio And Video mixed up can be hilarious. Remember the Episode on the 70's "Mary Tyler Moore Show" when Sue Anne Niven(Betty White) decided to go to some Fancy Restaurants and have Video Camera's present while she gave positive/negative views on their Food;which would then be reported by Ted Baxter on the news. They also this particular broadcast had a Video Report about Hog Farmers and their Pigs.

When it came time for Sue Anne's Segment;some technician put the wrong video up on the screen behind Ted showing a Hog eating some Slop out of a Trough. Ted still assuming the Video is of Sue anne giving a review; says to the TV Audience "Here we have Sue anne Niven Eating at her favorite Restaurant and it sure looks like she is enjoying her dinner.The scene goes on making Sue Anne look like an idiot before Ted realizes what has happen.

It was probably the most hilarious Episode of the whole MTM Run on TV. I have a 16mm print of it and I still crack up when I show it occasionally...

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-23-2014 09:56 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Naaah, the funniest episode of MTM is "Ted Baxter's Famous Broadcaster's School." I still crack up every time I even think of Ted singing the school's 'fight song.'

Steve Matz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-23-2014 11:21 PM      Profile for Steve Matz   Email Steve Matz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have that Episode also. Only one person shows up for the School and then wants his money back after everyone gives their speech...

I have about 28 16mm Episodes mainly Focused on TED as he was my favorite character in the Series. None of them have faded or gotten VS either. Now you can buy the whole Run 1970 - 77 on DVD!

It all started in a 5000 watt Radio Station in Fresno, California

Robert Koch
Film Handler

- posted 07-24-2014 01:54 PM      Profile for Robert Koch   Email Robert Koch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree; Ted Knight cracked me up, also. Where shows like that today?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: