Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Digital is Boring. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Digital is Boring.
Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 04-17-2014 09:16 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like photography and I like movies.
I like computers and digital imagery is kind of cool but, I'm sorry to say, digital is just... boring.

Digital cool in its own way but I like my film better.

A lot of people in my camera club seem to think that, because I don't use digital cameras that I CAN'T use them. When I start talking Photoshop and digital printing, some people look at me as if I'm not "supposed" to know how. The fact is that I can do digital as well as any and better than many.

If there wasn't any film and digital is all there was, I probably wouldn't be interested in movies or photography.

I don't mean like digital replaced film. I mean that film never existed and all that existed was digital. As a kid, when I first learned about photography, I probably would never had more than a passing interest and I probably wouldn't be a photographer or a movie technician today.

I like working with my hands, using machines and film to make images. We can debate about whether film or digital involves more or less work. Honestly, I think it's a trade-off. Even if it is more work to operate a film projector, it is more fulfilling to me.

Digital image quality is great but, as good as it is, it often looks "synthetic" to me. I like the visual qualities of film. It looks natural.

If movie theaters never had film projectors and DCP is all there ever was, I don't think I would have ever worked in a movie theater.

Digital is boring. It just doesn't make my "light bulb" turn on.

I think I'll go downstairs to my darkroom and print some photos, now...

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 04-17-2014 10:06 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Digitize them and post them when you're done.

Victor Liorentas
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-17-2014 10:13 PM      Profile for Victor Liorentas   Email Victor Liorentas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Digital bores me to tears unless I'm at home in my home theater. [Smile]

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 04-17-2014 10:28 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I first learned photography using film, using a variety of different 35mm still cameras. I used a Canon F-1 when I was in art school. I do appreciate knowing how to develop rolls of black & white or color film. There is an art to knowing how to use an enlarger in a dark room and develop prints. Those "burning" and "dodging" tools in Photoshop are terms ripped off from dark room work.

A lot of terminology and interface design in digital cameras and photo editing tools is rooted in film-based photography. There is no getting away from that. It is kind of fun to hold that over the heads of digital-only fanboys. Some of those guys act like they dodged a bullet never having had to mess around with film. The truth is they lost out on some valuable experience. I believe my work with digital cameras is more disciplined, more efficient and overall just plain better because I first learned using film.

With all that being said. The deeper I get into photography the more I appreciate lighting. That's something that isn't going to change. Nikon or Canon could develop a new DLSR or mirror-less camera body boasting 2048000 ISO. It still won't produce images worth a damn without proper lighting.

EDIT.

I tell you what I can't stand in terms of digital photography:

Turds wielding smart phones or tablets acting like the advertising campaigns behind their little toys makes those gadgets equal to a real camera. I just saw an Intel ad for tablets during the Jimmy Kimmel Live show that made me want to punch my TV screen.

Here's a link to a good article about photography using tablets:
Don't be a Padhole.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 04-18-2014 12:38 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Redifer
Digitize them and post them when you're done.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/
Oops! I forgot! Joe hates Flickr because of the little spinning, blue and pink testicles. Too bad. [Razz]

I tell people who shoot digital that they should take just one summer and shoot nothing but film. Even if they don't shoot film, ever again, I guarantee that their photography skills will grow by orders of magnitude.

If they did, I would loan them a camera, give them the film and let them use my darkroom if they promise to keep my fridge stocked with beer.

Even without the beer part... I can drink a lot of beer!... I have never had anybody take me up on it. Not even for a day.

Neither have I seen any of those people ever amount to a hill of beans in photography.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 04-18-2014 01:23 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Randy Stankey
I tell people who shoot digital that they should take just one summer and shoot nothing but film. Even if they don't shoot film, ever again, I guarantee that their photography skills will grow by orders of magnitude.
It's the way consumer technologies tend to go, isn't it? As it becomes more refined, the level of theoretical skill and applied knowledge needed to use it diminishes; or at least, it certainly changes. Those who learnt "the hard way" then tend to think that the later generations are missing something because an aspect of the process that previously had to be done by a human is now automated.

Another example: I learnt to drive in a car that not only had a manual transmission, but didn't even have synchromesh (you had to double-declutch when changing gears). I never drove an automatic regularly until I moved to the US, and still don't like the loss of control with it deciding when to change gears, not me. My wife, who has always owned and driven automatic cars, thinks that I'm just showing off and that automatics are a good thing because they enable you to concentrate more on the traffic and less on mechanical control processes. If we have children, Google's self-driving vehicles will probably be commonplace by the time they're learning to drive, and by the time they're my age, maintaining manual control of the speed and direction of the vehicle on a routine journey will possibly be a thing of the past.

Likewise, for those of us who learnt to take photos on film, without automatic focus, shutter speed and aperture, the level of automation in a D-SLR is disconcerting. I still don't like having to go through a menu system to set them manually. But for those who started to learn "serious" photography post-film, the cameras I started with must seem something like I'd have felt if, aged in my mid-teens, I'd been confronted with the challenge of making a Daguerrotype.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 04-18-2014 04:30 AM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I started my photographic career back in 1965 working with 8X10, 5X7 and 4X5 B&W sheet film and when I started to shoot my portrait and commercial work in color, I worked with medium format camera using a Rollieflex and later upgraded to the Hassleblad. In later years, the three Hassleblads I had was used for outdoor work such as weddings and environmental portraits and all my indoor portrait work was with a Mamiya RZ67. When Kodak introduced 35mm emulsions of the portrait film I was using with my larger cameras, I started to shoot a lot of my high school senior portraits with a professional Nikon camera. By the time I started to shoot portraits in 35mm, digital still photography was in it's early stage. My pro lab scanned all my 35mm negatives after processing and all the finishing was done using digital technology including retouching with Photoshop.

I cannot say, digital is boring but I miss film very much. Much of my portrait work today is created with a Nikon D7000 and D 90 digital cameras.

-Claude

Steve Moore
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-18-2014 06:04 AM      Profile for Steve Moore   Email Steve Moore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are digital cameras any less annoying than they were 10 years ago? I'm no great photo expert but used to take a lot of photos on the several different film cameras I owned and we had a small dark room for processing B&W

When i bought my canon 350D, no matter what settings I set it to (trying to replicate what I did on 35mm film for years before hand) my issue always was the fact the camera still appeared to try adjust some setting to compensate for either a dark or light area of the image. Irrespective of any adjustment If there was a light area in the photo (say some sunny sky) the foreground was dark and lost any detail or if the bulk of the shot was dark it would try make it brighter and then over expose any brighter parts.

For me that was the best advantage of film - it seemed to react to contrast and light levels far better than digital - every "pixel" (for want of a better word) of real film reacted in it's own way to the light hitting it.

After fighting with my, then new, digital camera I sort of lost interest in taking photos, and though I still use it, have never been happy. I suppose I should buy a newer model, perhaps!

I'm with Randy, though - if it was not for the spinning reels and mechanical aspect of projectors, 26 years ago when I started as a projectionist in cinemas (and 8 years earlier still with super 8 and 16mm at home) I probably would have never gotten into it at all.

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-18-2014 08:44 AM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I both agree and disagree with Randy. I probably wouldn't have started in this industry if film never existed. It is fascinating. Operating and repairing moving machinery is fascinating. I'm glad I still have 8 screens of 35mm to take care of. If digital was all there ever was, I probably would have still popped popcorn all those summers ago in high school, but I don't know that I would have taken an interest in the booth and be where I'm at today.

Photography, on the other hand, is different for me. Now, don't get me wrong. Film still is fascinating, and superior in quality. But that's if you're making prints. Who makes prints any more? I'm a concert photographer. It's not uncommon for me to snap upwards of 200 shots of the first three songs of a show, and only 25 images make the cut. How much waste would there be if I were shooting on film? I would have to be a lot more selective in what I shoot, which could possibly mean missing the opportunity to get that one perfect shot. I truly believe that if there were no digital and film was all there was, I wouldn't be doing what I do.

That being said, I do wish I had the opportunity to learn on film. In a way, I feel like I "cheated" in getting to where I'm at today. But I am glad digital exists, as it suits my purpose perfectly. YMMV.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 04-18-2014 10:13 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
*humor* Maybe Ken would pay attention to his subject and stop machine gunning. [Wink]

The immediacy of shooting digital is important. People don't want to wait for pictures to be developed, anymore. They want to see pictures right away.

If I have important shots, I can have them developed and printed in a few hours if I hustle but, today, event photographers are under even more time pressure than that. People just want to see their wedding photos or their concert shots 0.68 seconds after the shutter clicks. I find it weird.

When I take a photo, even a "grab shot," I usually have a pretty good idea of what I want the image to look like before I even put the camera up to my eye. I'm not thinking "depth of field" and "rule of thirds" or "exposure/shutter/aperture" or anything like that but I do have an overall idea of what I want the picture to be.

I see too many people who will snap-off ten pictures without thinking then look at the display and take ten more because they didn't get any good shots. (It's called "chimping.")

No! Stop machine gunning! Stop chimping! Think before you shoot!

I think most people would do well to learn to use film in order to force them to slow down and think. Even when I started using a Rolleiflex instead of a Pentax 35mm, I had to learn to slow down and think. I think that really changed the way I think about photographs for the better.

I also think that the same principle applies to the movie industry. Now that the immediacy of digital has become a pervasive idea, I wonder whether movie makers are doing the equivalent of machine gunning and chimping when they make movies.

Do you think that could be a factor in why we see so many crap movies being put out? There are still good movies but has the immediacy and the perception of ease in digital movie making allowed a flood of crap movies to hit the market which might not have even gotten off the ground if we were still using film? (Like we "should?" [Wink] )

Maybe that's part of the reason why I find digital movies to be boring?

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 04-18-2014 10:16 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Leo Enticknap
It's the way consumer technologies tend to go, isn't it? As it becomes more refined, the level of theoretical skill and applied knowledge needed to use it diminishes; or at least, it certainly changes. Those who learnt "the hard way" then tend to think that the later generations are missing something because an aspect of the process that previously had to be done by a human is now automated.
Film forces any photographer to shoot with some level of discipline. He has to think a little about what he's going to shoot before he takes the shot. With digital, most people shoot the picture, look at the results on the LCD screen and then say, "that didn't look right, let me take another one." This especially goes for all those people using an iPhone or something like it as their camera. They don't learn what they need to learn in order to get the shot right in the first place. So they end up taking a lot of shit photos and missing the best shots because they're approaching the photography craft in a random manner.

Here's one exercise digital camera users can try: don't look at any of the photos on the LCD display until after the photography work is done. Anyone who knows how to set his camera up properly for the scene being photographed won't need to peep at photos on the LCD screen. With film, you didn't get to see your results until after the roll of film was developed.

quote: Leo Enticknap
Likewise, for those of us who learnt to take photos on film, without automatic focus, shutter speed and aperture, the level of automation in a D-SLR is disconcerting. I still don't like having to go through a menu system to set them manually.
The "auto" functions in even the best cameras often get things wrong. I rarely ever have the dial on my camera set to anything other than "M" (manual). If I do use an auto function it would either be aperture priority or shutter priority. I never use the full auto function. My lenses have good auto focus capabilities, but they also have manual override.

quote: Steve Moore
For me that was the best advantage of film - it seemed to react to contrast and light levels far better than digital - every "pixel" (for want of a better word) of real film reacted in it's own way to the light hitting it.
The quality (and size) of the image sensor plays a tremendous part in determining overall image quality. This is true for all digital cameras, even video cameras. Bigger sensors typically sport higher resolution, but they can also have much bigger pixel sizes. Bigger pixels on the sensor see color and contrast better. My 5D Mark II blows away the cameras I previously used, but it's easily outclassed by medium and large format digital cameras mainly over having even bigger image sensors. Smart phone cameras have some of the smallest image sensors (and smallest lenses too). So it's no accident their image quality often sucks.

quote: Ken Lackner
It's not uncommon for me to snap upwards of 200 shots of the first three songs of a show, and only 25 images make the cut. How much waste would there be if I were shooting on film?
For me that's the biggest advantage of digital. Not only do you have much greater capacity for images, you're not having to swap out rolls of film constantly. You can just keep shooting. It takes me awhile to fill up an 8GB compact flash card, even shooting in RAW.

Terry Lynn-Stevens
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-18-2014 10:24 AM      Profile for Terry Lynn-Stevens   Email Terry Lynn-Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

Digital cool in its own way but I like my film better

As much as I like film, I have moved on from it.

Digital is boring. It just doesn't make my "light bulb" turn on.
I find digital interesting. The ceiling for digital capture and presentation has yet to be hit.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 04-18-2014 10:25 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I have important shots, I can have them developed and printed in a few hours if I hustle but, today, event photographers are under even more time pressure than that. People just want to see their wedding photos or their concert shots 0.68 seconds after the shutter clicks. I find it weird.
If I was shooting a wedding I wouldn't let people bother me wanting to see photos on the LCD display until after the most important stuff was finished.

Anyone photographing a news-worthy event is under great pressure to get the shots uploaded to news agencies ASAP. Some sports photographers will be feeding shots to a computer via WiFi transfer as they're being taken. An assistant does some minor tweaking and gets it uploaded maybe not even a minute or two after the big play. That approach and the pressure involved gives it some of the same feel as working on a live TV broadcast.

Do you think that could be a factor in why we see so many crap movies being put out? There are still good movies but has the immediacy and the perception of ease in digital movie making allowed a flood of crap movies to hit the market which might not have even gotten off the ground if we were still using film?
Perhaps to a certain degree. Digital cameras certainly make some things easier, faster and cheaper. But other things have not changed, like lighting, production design, etc. It still takes the same amount of time to set up all that stuff.

It's possible to run and gun a bunch of a movie with DSLR cameras, but without all the other elements that add production value the end results are going to look very cheap and bad.

The thing I dislike the most about video-based movie cameras is the image quality. They have improved, but they're just not there yet in fully replicating the film look. Too often the film look filtering applied to the video footage degrades the image quality rather than improving it.

Digital's best advantage is the image capacity. For certain genres, comedy in particular, digital is pretty good. Actors can improv and experiment without anyone worrying about burning up too much film (or running out of film) during a take.

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-18-2014 10:39 AM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bobby's example doesn't apply to my situation. But at a concert, the photographer has zero control over the lighting and subject. Sometimes, especially in cases where the lighting is rapidly changing, it is necessary to "machine gun" it. You could fire the shutter a dozen times in a three second period and get one usable shot. This is entirely different from shooting weddings, portraits, models, landscapes, etc. And while my photos don't have to be turned in immediately, most publications want them published by the following day or the day after at the latest. (Ideally, they want to be the first to publish photos of that event.)

Back to movies. I don't really care how the movie is shot. The film-vs-digital argument for me comes down to exhibition. Operating and servicing film projectors is what originally captured my interest, and I'm not sure digital projectors would have in the same way. That being said, I still thoroughly enjoy the craft.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 04-18-2014 11:17 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A lot of professional film photographers "machine gunned" as well, hence the reason rapid succession shutters and motor drives were common features on higher end film SLRs. Some even had bulk film roll holders that enabled 200-300 shots to be taken without the need to reload. My mother was a journalist on a local paper, and a friend of the family who was its chief photographer would often shoot several rolls, even at a fourth division football match, of which only one would end up being published if any.

If anything I'd speculate that there could have been more machine gunning, because not being able to see the result until after processing and making contact prints probably encouraged photographers to fire off more frames than they thought they really needed, just to be sure of getting one good image - especially at a one-time, unrepeatable event such as a sports fixture. The extra cost of film and processing was just seen as a necessary expense to be built into the business planning.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: