Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » HDMI cables for HDTV 3-D

Author Topic: HDMI cables for HDTV 3-D
Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 03-22-2014 03:50 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My sister just got me a Samsung forty inch 3-D HDTV last week and I am having a problem with getting 3-D with it. The TV is set up with a current Samsung 3-D Blu Ray player but when I view a 3-D Blu Ray disc, I get a picture that looks strange. It looks like everything is reversed. When I view with the glasses from the opposit side, I get perfect 3-D. After calling Samsung about the problem, they made me go to the setting that shows the current firmware and it was determined that my player need a firmware update and they feel this is the cause of the problem. I also did some research and learned one will need to use a newer type of HDMI cable. The cable I am now using is a little over four years old and is the one that was attached to. my previous Samsung 2-D HDTV. If the problem is not resolved with a firmware update, do you think the old HDMI cable is the cause.

-Claude

|  IP: Logged

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 03-22-2014 10:18 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Different versions exist of the HDMI standard, of which the most recent is 2.0. I would suggest looking at the manuals of both the TV and the BD player to see what version of the standard their HDMI interfaces use, and ensuring that you have a cable which is compatible with both of them. According to the Wikipedia page, 3D over HDMI needs 1.4 or later. This one on Amazon is claimed to be 1.4-compliant.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 03-22-2014 11:50 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for the information, Leo. I suspected that my problem was with the HDMI cable I was using and went to Costco this afternoon and found they were selling 12 foot (Two six feet cables with a extender adapter) HDMI 2.0 for about $20.00. I bought it and hooked it up to my TV and 3- D BD player and I still have a problem getting a 3-D image on my set. The only option is hope the firmware update will correct the problem. If it does not, the BD player will need adjusting..

-Claude

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 03-23-2014 04:35 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm ... according to that Wikipedia page, 2.0 is the absolute latest version, and so, discounting the 0.001% chance that you bought a faulty cable, we can rule the cable out.

Agreed - the only thing left that I, too, can think of is to ensure that the firmware is up to date in both the player and the TV.

Mark Ogden
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-23-2014 04:57 PM      Profile for Mark Ogden   Email Mark Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you have a model with the active 3d glasses, and the image is ok when you put the glasses on reversed, then the infra-red emitter which controls the sync between the set and the glasses is backwards. Look on the remote or in the TV menu options for a setting called "emitter polarity" (or possibly "sync polarity"). Change it to the opposite of what it is now. If your set has the external emitter, flip it upside down to see if it helps.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 03-23-2014 07:09 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Mark for your input. The firmware from Samsung should arrive any day now so before doing anything else, I will see if it will correct the problem. If not. I will have the Samsun service technician check into the things you had suggested and walk me through the process to get my set working correctly.

Although it was a crude way of watching 3-D looking into the glasses backward, I did check a few 3-D bds I have such as HOUSE OF WAX, HUGO and a few others and I found the 3-D to be awesome. I personally think watching 3-D on a HDTV is a little better than watching it in a theatre. The 3-D in HOUSE OF WAX was just as impressive as I remember seeing when the movie was released in the early fifties with dual projection.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 03-24-2014 06:01 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For most parts, this HDMI version 1.x certification/compliance is just snake oil. The same goes for over-expensive bullshit cabling. The problem of your reversed left/right frame has nothing to do with your HDMI cabling.

Something between your BluRay player and TV is amiss, causing the frames to get flipped. Either your BluRay player or TV should have configuration options to reverse left/right.

quote: Mark Ogden
If your set has the external emitter, flip it upside down to see if it helps.
I wonder how that would make any impact... In case of active 3D glasses, the IR transmitter sends just a serial signal at a certain frequency, flipping it upside down will do nothing to that signal. Does your remote work differently if you're holding it upside down? (Well, yeah, I can remember a remote for a MiniDisc player that turned into a keyboard when you turned it around, it actually switched mode between "keyboard" and "playback".)

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 03-25-2014 03:13 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I received the firmware update software from Samsung yesterday and installed it right away. After installing the software, I discovered it was not the disc player that was causing the problem, It was the HDTV display. I am very upset that the TV would leave the factory with a improper 3-D setting that had caused me so much problems since I first set up the set about a week and a half ago. The Samsung rep tried to walk me through with correcting the problem on the set yesterday afternoon but I discovered another problem, with the cheap batteries the TV remote came with and it was not making it worki too well. I am getting good batteries today and will try again., Hopefully, I can solve the problem today.

-Claude

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 03-25-2014 11:35 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A Samsung rep kept insisting that my powered 3-D glasses is the source of my problem when I talked to him this afternoon and when I insisted it was not, he hung up on me. I called back and another rep I talked to knew the extract cause of my problem when he made me go to my TV and change the L/R 3-D setting to R/L and that settled the problem once and for all. I knew this was all I had to do in the first place but when these other idiotic technical representatives kept insisting it was the BD player needing a firmware update, wrong kind of HDML cable,, 3-D glasses not working properly etc, I wonder how they can keep their job when they do not know how to solve a simple problen like the kind I was having.

Being able to now watch 3-D properly on my set, I am just amazed how wonderful HDTV 3-D is. Gosting is one of the problem people complain about HDTV 3-D with movies like DIAL M FOR MURDER but it looks fantastic on my set. So does HOUSE OF WAX and HUGO.

-Claude

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 03-26-2014 01:23 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's unfair to say that the TV was set with incorrect setting. If anything, it sounds like the glasses you have don't work with settings that most other systems use and require changing the TV's settings to non-default.

Mark Ogden
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-26-2014 05:24 AM      Profile for Mark Ogden   Email Mark Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Depends. Claude, are you using glasses that came with the set, or third party glasses? If they came with the set, then it's a Samsung issue. Some third party glasses have a switch on them somewhere that changes lens polarity, the idea being that you change it to match what the emitter is putting out, sync-wise. Either way, the problem is fixed.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 03-26-2014 02:41 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Glasses does not come with a Samsung 3-D HDTV, Mark. You have to purchase them by themselves and they come with batteries that can be charged and ordinary lithium. The glasses with chargeable batteries cost about fifty dollars and the ordinary battery powered ones cost about twenty dollars. I got the cheaper pair and they are working great after I got my TV properly set up, yesterday.

I have always loved good 3-D ever since I was introduced to it in the " 3-D Golden Age " in the fifties with movies like BWANA DEVIL, HOUSE OF WAX, INFERNO, THE CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON, DIAL M FOR MURDER, KISS ME KATE and many others. I used to see HDTV 3-D displays in stores when it was first introduced in 2010 and I thought it was impressive but the sets were terribly expensive. It has been a while since I saw 3-D store displays except recently when I saw HDVTV 3-D at my brother's home a few months ago. I have noticed from my set that HDTV 3-D has come a long way and they are much better than the first time I saw it four years ago in stores. The 3-D on my set is perfect and I am very satisfied.

-Claude

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: