Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Old people (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Old people
Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 03-21-2014 10:25 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tonight's show is over and a couple of little girls are waiting in the lobby for their ride home. One says to the other, "I sure wish I had a movie theatre." The other says, "Only old people have theatres."

[Big Grin]

|  IP: Logged

Buck Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-21-2014 11:40 PM      Profile for Buck Wilson   Email Buck Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How cute.

One day I'll get there....

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-22-2014 12:17 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My brother-in-law and I bought the Roxy when I was 22 and he was 21, and I'm still "young at heart," so screw that theory! [Smile]

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 03-22-2014 01:27 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last August (really hot month in SoCal), I was asked to look at a family friend's HVAC system after it stopped working. They are quite a religious family, with a really inquisitive six year-old. When I arrived:

Kidlet: "But Daddy, you said we had to ask Jesus to help us. He's [pointing at me] not Jesus!"

Daddy: "Well, erm, maybe Jesus was busy, so he sent Uncle Leo instead?"

Kidlet: "But Jesus is REALLY old. Is Uncle Leo old enough to help us?"

Daddy [not really knowing how to deal with this]: "We'll just have to see."

I'm not sure how he managed to explain the fact that I didn't need to have been born 2013 years ago to work out that the compressor's run capacitor had expired, or that in this case, salvation came an HVAC parts store a few miles away. I just swapped it out and bowed out!

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 03-22-2014 01:01 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"From the mouths of babes..." [Smile]

Nice to hear that one doesn't need to be young to work at or in a movie theater. I've heard nothing but the opposite myself, even though every time I visit a local theater these days it's staffed with what look like high schoolers.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 03-22-2014 03:47 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Leo...see...if you were younger...that calculation on the capacitor may have been more difficult due to the nee "Common Core" math crap they are "teaching" the kids.

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-22-2014 05:33 PM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just ask a teen to count change. [evil]

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 03-22-2014 06:00 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't run tills here, just cash drawers. You have to be able to add in your head and make change to work here.

I have never hired any teen to work here who knew how to correctly make change. Ever. I've had to teach every one of them how it's done.

I remember being taught how to count money and make change in school -- maybe about grade 3? I remember we had some toy coins that we used to practice with and all sorts of math questions like "Mr. Jones bought two eggs at 3 cents each and paid with 25 cents." You then had to indicate how many dimes, nickels and pennies made up his change. We learned how to make change the right way (count up) and it wasn't any big thing. I guess they don't teach that any more; at least not around here.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-22-2014 11:28 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We ask our kids to count the change back and they can all do it, but sometimes in the heat of battle they get a little flustered and do it backward (they count out the amount of change, rather than counting from the purchase amount to the tender amount). I've heard occasional stories from our employees of the people who work in other places and don't know how to count change.

Steve Matz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-23-2014 12:27 AM      Profile for Steve Matz   Email Steve Matz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of the Drawbacks of the Digital Age is lots of these Kid can't understand/comprehend things Analog.There so use to seeing everything Digitally they can't even tell you the Time from a Numbered Analog Clock [thumbsdown]

I remember when I was Motorcycle Racing in the 60's at age 17.They were introducing riders and ages before the Main Feature. One of our Veteran Racers was introduced and the announcer said age 34. I immediately thought to myself "Man that Guy is an old Sucker" Now 34 to me seems like the Fountain of youth [Eek!]

Age is a state of Mind. I know 30 yr olds that act like there 80 and Vice Versa. Just because you reach a certain age doesn't mean you have to start wearing Old Man Shoes and wearing your Pants at Chest Level [puke]

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 03-23-2014 01:08 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think certain ideas and approaches to life are "installed in your operating system" at a very young age and tend to stay there for life, but that includes receptiveness to new ideas, technologies and ways of doing things. My grandpa lived to 90 and was totally comfortable with email, the Internet, smart gadgets, you name it, right up until the end of his life. In fact, he was an early adopter of most of them. He was always up to date with what was happening in the news, and was at ease interacting with people in his own generation or others. He spent his working life as a pathologist in a busy hospital, and so keeping up with the latest scientific R & D was just part of his everyday work, and not something he was suddenly going to stop doing when he retired.

Contrast that with a mature postgrad student I know who started working on a PhD as a retirement project. He's writing up his dissertation on a mechanical typewriter (for which, ironically, I had to order ribbons for online from India from him, because you can't get 'em in England anymore), and producing handwritten "spreadsheets" of figures, calculated by mental arithmetic. He'll take long train trips and spend days in the basements of libraries and archives, going through hard copies of stuff that is readily available online. He is passionately interested in what was going on between 1909-32, but, basically, couldn't care less about anything that's happened since. He doesn't even have a phone in his house, and the only reliable way of communicating with him is to write him a letter and stick it in the mail. I don't know, but would guess that he was brought up by parents who took a similar approach to life, and it stuck in him.

As for theatres, the overwhelming majority of the workforces in all of them I've worked in have been aged roughly 16-35, with a few older projectionists and managers. I think the reason is pretty simple: the lifestyle and hours are not really compatible with raising a family or even living with someone who works conventional Monday-Friday, 8-5 hours, which is the situation you tend to find yourself in as you approach middle age. When I was in my 20s I had no problem working weekends and public holidays and in to the middle of the night, but doing that now would cause significant problems with my home life.

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-23-2014 01:48 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Rick Raskin
Just ask a teen to count change
... or spell for that matter.

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-23-2014 02:20 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's cute. And their right in my case as I'll be 82 next month and yes, that's a current pic.

Steve Matz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-23-2014 04:31 PM      Profile for Steve Matz   Email Steve Matz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OR SOMETHING EQUVALIENT [Confused]

-

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 03-23-2014 05:08 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
My brother-in-law and I bought the Roxy when I was 22 and he was 21, and I'm still "young at heart," so screw that theory!
I'm sure that 22 by their standard IS old.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: