Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » 76 injured in London theatre ceiling collapse (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: 76 injured in London theatre ceiling collapse
Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 12-21-2013 04:18 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It doesn't seem to have been reported much in the US media, but on Thursday evening, the ceiling of a theatre in the West End of London collapsed, injuring 76. From what I can gather, it was essentially bits of plaster that came down, and the actual weight-bearing structure of the roof itself remained intact. A very lucky escape, I reckon, given that there were 96 deaths and hundreds of injuries in a similar incident in Washington DC in 1922, but when the actual roof did cave in.

From my days in the theatre/cinema business, I do not remember there being any laws or regulations (in Britain, at any rate) requiring the roof or ceiling of auditoria to be checked for structural integrity on a regular basis. Fire extinguishers, lifts, emergency exits, PAT testing for appliances - these did have to be checked regularly, and the results recorded, but I can't recall anything about the structural integrity of actual buildings. Presumably such a requirement will be introduced now in response to this, and I'd guess that a lot of theatre owners and managers in the UK are now on the phone to any architects they can find to get their roofs checked out.

Out of interest, are regular checks on roof integrity mandated by state laws and/or county or city-based regulation in the US?

|  IP: Logged

Alan Plester
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-21-2013 04:50 AM      Profile for Alan Plester   Email Alan Plester   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Taken from BBC news site regarding the ceiling in a building that has stood since 1901

A spokesman for Westminster City Council, which covers the West End, said it requires venues to have their ceilings checked every three years rather than every 12 months.

Steve Moore
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-21-2013 05:59 AM      Profile for Steve Moore   Email Steve Moore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our city council requires an inspection of ceiling and roof every other year to renew our licence.

Alan Plester
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-21-2013 07:24 AM      Profile for Alan Plester   Email Alan Plester   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve, That's a most interesting point, all the years I was at the Banbury cinema not once, can I remember taking anyone into the roof void, and that building has been in operation since 1940.
All other tests, fire ect were rigid.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 12-21-2013 08:49 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We've had some very wet weather in London; I wonder if the plaster was damaged by water ingress. A few of the injuries are serious, but not life-threatening.

Birmingham Town Hall, which is a music venue, not a town hall in the conventional sense was closed for several years after part of the ceiling plaster fell down. I think the auditorium was empty at the time, but I'm not certain about that.

It didn't take years to repair the ceiling, but various other refurbishment/improvement works were carried out at the same time.

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-21-2013 09:33 AM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are we overlooking another major cause for failure of surfaces in a theatre? Loud to deafening BASS from super powerful sub speaker systems that can be felt in the marble walls beyond the lobby.

Modern live and recorded bands and action films seem to require more and more bass energy than even standing on the tarmac while 747s are taking off. For every action there is an opposite and equal reaction. When placing that much energy into a confined space it will have to be ABSORBED by the structure and contents. How much will decorative plaster absorb before it fails to be a structure?

When the film "Earthquake" with the enormous bass sound system was being booked, every theatre was inspected BEFORE the film could be booked into that space. The large 2,200 seat theatre was UNACCEPTABLE due to the molded decorative plaster ceiling construction. The neighborhood 400 seat theatre with suspended acoustical tiled ceiling was acceptable and they played the film.
A similar study was required for screening the film "Tora Tora Tora" as it had very large added speaker systems and amplification as part of the exhibition for that film.

I worked at these theatres at the time these studies were being conducted and audience and structural safety were prime considerations.

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 12-21-2013 10:52 AM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did installations of Sensurround and I don't remember any rigorous tests being required. Maybe the suburban cinema requirements were lighter or ignored. There were no SPL spec's, only voltage at the amp output terminals that were supposed to correspond to loudness.

I found modern multiplexes worked well except for the sound leakage and exciting the rodents that scattered everywhere, esp. the projection room every time the track kicked in.

I did one in a very old building and had dirt and what seemed to be plaster dust raining down. I kept turning down the amps until the dust stopped.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-21-2013 11:57 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know of several movie palaces that the 32' diaphone pipes brought ornetmental plaster down

Edgar Prass
Film Handler

- posted 12-22-2013 10:48 AM      Profile for Edgar Prass   Email Edgar Prass   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In Tallinn, Estonia just a week after opening of a new multiplex in 2008 a ceiling light-weight construction fell down in big auditorium, no one was luckily in the auditorium when it happened. Collapse was blamed on a poor construction quality and materials used.
 -

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 12-22-2013 11:46 AM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am somewhat familiar with this collapse. It was first blamed on the Meyer sound system which of course was very capable of loud clear sound.

I heard later the issue was partly due to air pressure from a poorly balanced HVAC system.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 12-22-2013 08:32 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I read that there was a very heavy rain (in London) that night.

Any chance this is a simple drainage problem & the weight of the water might have caused the collapse?

David Buckley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-22-2013 09:43 PM      Profile for David Buckley   Author's Homepage   Email David Buckley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The weather making an inadequately maintained theatre worse is the current leading speculation.

Steve Matz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-22-2013 10:37 PM      Profile for Steve Matz   Email Steve Matz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Back in the old Nitrate Days, Building inspectors/Fire Marshalls were more concerned about the Projection Booths being Safe than other parts of a Theater. Construction must have been pretty top notch in the Day. I don't remember hearing stories of too many Balconies/Lodges or Ceilings falling down.

I think most of your Old Buildings built before the Depression had real quality workmanship in them. Heck we still have a Couple School Houses going here that were constructed in 1909. Today because Time is Money they have a building up in a eye blink.I've seen some building construction signed off by inspectors that I wouldn't trust no how. Makes me believe some extra money is changing Hands despite Public Safety [puke]

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 12-23-2013 09:41 AM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One thing I find interesting about early accounts of this incident, is that some of the major networks reported the balcony had collapsed. It took awhile for a simple weather event to come out as the likely cause.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/theatre/theatre-news/10531656/Apollo-Theatre-ceiling-collapse-caused-by-heavy-downp our.html

Apollo Theatre ceiling collapse 'caused by heavy downpour'
Almost 15 per cent of December's average rainfall came down on London in just one hour before 100 sq ft of plaster suddenly dropped onto the audience on Thursday

The dramatic collapse of a historic West End theatre’s ceiling onto a packed auditorium was probably caused by an abnormally heavy downpour swamping the roof, the emergency services believe.

Nearly one-seventh of the average monthly rainfall for the whole of December came down on London in the hour before the disaster at the Apollo Theatre, which left 79 people injured, nine of them seriously.

The 112-year-old venue has been closed until at least January 4 while investigators piece together how the accident happened and clear away the timber beams and large chunks of ornate plaster that rained down on audience members.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 12-23-2013 10:05 AM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sometimes things just let go. In 1991 we could have had a major tragedy here in our 1941 building. Sometime during the night an approx 10ft x20ft chunk of the ceiling (thick plaster, lathe, insulation,etc), just let go and crashed down on the first few rows. Had anyone been sitting there, they probably would have been killed.
Our landlord's insurance covered the repair and the complete reinforcing of the ceiling. There was no water damage or any signs of decay. The best the inspectors could figure was the nails holding things up just worked loose after 50 years of the timbers heating and contracting.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: