Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Peter O'Toole RIP

Author Topic: Peter O'Toole RIP
Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 12-15-2013 12:45 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://variety.com/2013/film/news/peter-otoole-dies-lawrence-of-arabia-star-was-81-1200953310/?utm_source=sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=breakingnewsalert
rish-born stage and screen actor Peter O’Toole, who became an international star in the title role of David Lean’s Oscar-winning epic “Lawrence of Arabia,” died on Saturday at age 81.

He was undoubtedly one of the greatest actors of his generation. And yet with the 2006 film “Venus,” O’Toole surpassed Welshman Richard Burton and assumed the dubious distinction of being the most nominated actor never to win a competitive Oscar. When it was first announced that O’Toole would receive an Honorary Oscar in 2002, O’Toole astonished the Academy by turning it down, announcing in a letter to the organization that he was “still in the game and might win the lovely bugger outright, would the Academy please defer the honour until I am 80.’”

But he did indeed show up at the ceremony the following year, accepting the award from Meryl Streep. “Always a bridemaid never a bride,” he said with typical theatrical flair to an adoring crowd, “my very own Oscar now to be with me till death do us part.”

|  IP: Logged

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-15-2013 05:12 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He was an amazing man. Here is one of his best appearances on Letterman.

And this haunting video in which he laughingly talks about his future epitaph. Just terrific.

AJG

Terry Lynn-Stevens
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-18-2013 10:17 PM      Profile for Terry Lynn-Stevens   Email Terry Lynn-Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He was pretty good in Lawrence of Arabia.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 12-31-2013 05:45 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Peter O'Toole
When it was first announced that O’Toole would receive an Honorary Oscar in 2002, O’Toole astonished the Academy by turning it down, announcing in a letter to the organization that he was “still in the game and might win the lovely bugger outright, would the Academy please defer the honour until I am 80.’”
[Big Grin]

In 1955 it was proposed to name what is now Heathrow Airport after Winston Churchill. When the idea was put to him, Churchill (who reportedly had just put away the best part of a bottle of whisky at the time), replied: "Sir, it is never wise to name any public place or monument after someone who is still with us. You never know what they're going to do with the rest of their life." As usual, he was right on the nail: the university I used to work for found itself with a tricky PR problem on its hands when the Jimmy Savile scandal broke. Savile had donated millions to the medical school, and had been given an honorary degree...

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: