Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Movie-Theater Chains Take On IMAX (Page 1)

This topic comprises 17 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  15  16  17 

Author Topic: Movie-Theater Chains Take On IMAX
Terry Lynn-Stevens
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-13-2013 09:31 PM      Profile for Terry Lynn-Stevens   Email Terry Lynn-Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is a great article, the author makes a good point in asking what happens to the contracts once the IMAX contracts run out. I never knew that the big chains had a chance to unite under one common brand name, I think a studio/common name would of been a real thorn in the side IMAX.

It is really nice to see the mainstream press tackle the subject.

Movie-Theater Chains Take On IMAX

Rival Movie Chains Invest in Oversize Screens, Enhanced Sound, Luxury Seats

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304202204579254453051597642

A battle for the bigger screen is brewing between IMAX Corp. IMX.T -0.53% and U.S. movie-theater chains.

Over the past four years, North America's five major theater companies have been retrofitting their auditoriums or building new ones with oversized screens that add several extra dollars to the ticket price. That is giving IMAX, the dominant player in premium movie-going, fresh competition from the very theater chains it depends on for business.

The trend is coming into sharp focus for Hollywood now because in coming months the number of chain-operated large-format screens is on pace to equal all 339 IMAX locations in the U.S. All these screens usually stretch floor to ceiling in auditoriums with enhanced sound and extra-cushy seats, offering what some moviegoers consider the best viewing experience for Hollywood's biggest blockbusters.

Of the $161.1 million grossed last month during the opening weekend of "The Hunger Games: Catching Fire" from Lions Gate Entertainment Corp. LGF -1.74% , about $9.6 million was collected from private-label screens run by the theaters. That was only about $3 million less than domestic IMAX locations generated.

This weekend, "The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug" from Time Warner Inc.'s Warner Bros. will premiere on virtually all of the country's so-called premium large format, or PLF, screens—IMAX and private label alike.

Studios and exhibitors stand to gain millions of dollars by cutting IMAX out of the box-office equation. Ontario-based IMAX gets fees from theaters and studios that amount to about a third of the box-office receipts collected from theaters using its technology. Exhibitors typically hand over about 20% and studios pitch in 12.5% of the ticket price, excluding taxes. Some older contracts even allocate a portion of concession-stand sales to IMAX.

"The distribution and exhibition dynamic is much simpler when there are only two parties involved," says Chris Aronson, president of domestic distribution at 21st Century Fox Inc.'s Twentieth Century Fox, which until recently was part of the same company as The Wall Street Journal.

IMAX says the theater-operated brands try to replicate its signature moviegoing experience without delivering the goods. "It's like putting a Mercedes on a Ford body and saying you have a Mercedes," says Chief Executive Richard Gelfond.

IMAX has invested tens of millions of dollars of research into its technology, he says, and two of 2014's big movies, "Transformers: Age of Extinction" and "Interstellar," are being filmed with cameras designed to play best in an IMAX theater.

The chains vary in how aggressively they are pursuing the proprietary big-screen strategy. Some have all but stopped adding new IMAX contracts. Others are placing their private-label screens near existing IMAX theaters. Some are building new locations with IMAX and their own big-screen offerings under the same roof.

The nascent market is an alphabet soup of brand names: XD at Cinemark Holdings Inc., CNK -0.09% RPX at Regal Entertainment Group, RGC +0.72% ETX and Prime at AMC Entertainment Holdings Inc., UltraAVX at Cineplex Inc. and the BigD at Carmike Cinemas Inc. The companies have had to lean on Hollywood to include their logos in movie ads to build a semblance of IMAX's brand awareness. The chains rebuffed past suggestions that they unite under a common name that would make advertising easier.

The big question now is: Will theaters renew their IMAX contracts when they come up for renewal starting in 2017.

The tension has its roots in the film industry's recent conversion to digital distribution. When studios started delivering movies digitally rather than in bulky film canisters, it became easier to build auditoriums with sound and lighting architecture for large-format viewing.

"There was enough off-the-shelf technology that, if you knew how to put it together, you could create your own PLF experience," says Timothy Warner, chief executive at Cinemark.

Cinemark has been the most aggressive in building out its own large-format theaters, reaching 145 locations in the U.S. and South America since its first XD theater opened in West Plano, Texas, in 2009. It still operates some IMAX theaters, but it has brought on only two new ones since it started the XD rollout four years ago.

New Cinemark XD theaters cost about $200,000 to build. Retrofitting an existing one, which requires moving exit doors and lowering the theater's front rows so the image isn't projected on moviegoers' heads—costs about $600,000.

IMAX says it has contracted or constructed theaters in nearly 80% of the U.S. markets it has identified as potential locations. It has had significant growth overseas, including in China, where the company last year successfully sued a state-backed projection company called DMAX for trademark infringement.

IMAX expects to make about 60% of its 2014 revenue overseas, Mr. Gelfond says.

|  IP: Logged

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 12-14-2013 09:16 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Terry Lynn-Stevens
"It's like putting a Mercedes on a Ford body and saying you have a Mercedes," says Chief Executive Richard Gelfond.
Funny ... Isn't that exactly what he did by putting the Imax name on Christie and Barco projectors?

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 12-14-2013 10:17 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good one, Adam.
[thumbsup]

First of all, there's nothing "large format" about these big screen digital projection theaters. It doesn't matter if the theater carries the IMAX brand or is labeled with another acronym. Leave it to the press to not understand the difference between a regular commercial movie theater and a true, large format special venue theater.

I don't know the exact count, but it looks to me like the major theater chains already outnumber IMAX branded screens with their own house brand big screen concepts. Regal has more big screen houses labeled RPX than IMAX screens. Cinemark has more XD labeled screens than it does IMAX screens. Carmike has more BigD screens than IMAX screens.

quote: Wall Street Journal
IMAX has invested tens of millions of dollars of research into its technology, he says, and two of 2014's big movies, "Transformers: Age of Extinction" and "Interstellar," are being filmed with cameras designed to play best in an IMAX theater.
Of course the writer for the WSJ fails to mention the details of movies like Interstellar having significant portions filmed with IMAX 15/65mm film cameras and that it requires a 15-perf 70mm film-based projection system for viewers to see the difference. Most IMAX-branded theaters don't have that kind of capability even though they carry the name synonymous with large format film.

New Cinemark XD theaters cost about $200,000 to build. Retrofitting an existing one, which requires moving exit doors and lowering the theater's front rows so the image isn't projected on moviegoers' heads—costs about $600,000.
A real, large format film-based theater costs millions of dollars to build.

The biggest problem I have with all these in-house "private label" big screen concepts is lack of technical information. Customers have a hard time finding out just what kind of equipment is in the booth. Is the big screen theater using two digital projectors or only one? What is the resolution of the projector(s)? What kind of sound format and sound system configuration is used?

Customers can, if they like, figure out just what is being used by an IMAX-branded theater. It's not easy, but infomration is available. IMAX' digital systems are, for the most part, indentical: they have dual digital projector systems and the same kind of sound system.

AFAIK, Cinemark's XD concept is really only a single projector setup, based on their web site's verbiage of XD theaters using "a Barco projector." They're installing the Auro 3D 11.1 sound format in some XD theaters, but it's not clear which ones. The web sites for Barco and Auro have no Auro 3D 11.1 theater installation lists. One XD theater in Plano, TX is equipped with Dolby Atmos. Dolby does have a theater map showing installs for various Dolby d-cinema technologies, including Atmos.

If Regal followed through on what it said in its first press releases about RPX we could be led to believe their RPX theaters feature dual digital projectors. Some have Auro 3D 11.1 sound systems, while at least a dozen or more have Dolby Atmos. There's likely more than a few RPX theaters wired for regular 5.1 or 7.1.

We practically need a feature comparison table for all these big screen digital theaters. Perhaps if such a comparison table was easily accessible to the public it might force some companies who are trying to build big screen, premium priced theaters on the cheap to improve to a better standard. The lack of curtains and masking in many of these theaters is a serious problem.

The chains rebuffed past suggestions that they unite under a common name that would make advertising easier.
Because that would require them to adhere to some consistent standards -standard the public might understand more easily, such as using two digital projectors instead of one, perhaps supporting 4K instead of 2K and maybe using other better quality things that would end up costing them more money to build/install and maintain.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-14-2013 11:43 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
lowering the theater's front rows so the image isn't projected on moviegoers' heads
Oh that sounds like a great idea. [Roll Eyes] With the old setup, watching a movie would be like standing on the ground and trying to see something in an upstairs window. Now it'll be like trying to see a skyscraper from the sidewalk.

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-14-2013 02:38 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
in all fairness to the 'Hunger Games: Catching Fire' - the fact that most of the games sequence was shot in actual 4:3 IMAX 'film' was a positive - it made me want to re-see this as it was originally shot and in a proper IMAX 15/70 venue.

the larger specialty screens may have the upper hand when it comes to actual 4K projectors and 7.1/Dolby Atmos setups - 5.0 IMAX sound in my mind is inferior to how far sound technology has become.

Terry Lynn-Stevens
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-14-2013 11:19 PM      Profile for Terry Lynn-Stevens   Email Terry Lynn-Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jonathan Goeldner
5.0 IMAX sound in my mind is inferior to how far sound technology has become
I think they are all good, you really can't go wrong with any of the premium system. Just as important is the theatre design and construction, the purpose built IMAX theatre close to me is no different than the larger IMAX venues built before the digital conversion or MPX auditoriums, yes it is now digital but the layout still counts for something, I don't mind the true IMAX lay out and nobody else gets you as close to the screen as IMAX. Too bad 15/70 has been phased out in my area, and most IMAX retrofits are not all that great.

larger specialty screens may have the upper hand when it comes to actual 4K projectors and 7.1/Dolby Atmos
You make a very good point however I still don't think the quality control is there yet. I have no idea who has a 4K projector in my area, and I doubt it will ever be advertised. Also, when I was at the Hobbit 2 opening night, Cineplex was advertising Hobbit 2 in UltraAVX with Dolby Atmos, well just after the trailer for AVX hit the screen which told everyone that they were in an immersive environment with digital picture and such, the Dolby Surround 7.1 trailer then hit the screen and let everyone know that the sound is over here, and here, and over here. So much for quality control?

in all fairness to the 'Hunger Games: Catching Fire' - the fact that most of the games sequence was shot in actual 4:3 IMAX 'film' was a positive - it made me want to re-see this as it was originally shot and in a proper IMAX 15/70 venue.
No argument there.

quote: Adam Martin
Funny ... Isn't that exactly what he did by putting the Imax name on Christie and Barco projectors?
Good point. IMAX modifies the digital projectors in Mississauga, how much they actually modify must be a trade secret [Wink]

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 12-17-2013 09:23 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think they are all good, you really can't go wrong with any of the premium system.
I disagree. There is a lot of variables that go into a truly great movie theater and one with state of the art presentation technology. It's one thing for a theater to pat itself on the back for being better than average or great. When they tack a surcharge onto the standard ticket price for customers enter that room they damned sure need to have some specific reasons readily accessible to customers to justify that higher price.

Right now, it's not clear if many of these LieMAX wannabe theaters are nothing more than a bigger room with the sound turned up louder. I think a bunch of customers are getting screwed. I already question the ticket value at IMAX Digital theaters; brighter dual projector 3D is the only advantage I see in them. But at least you know you're getting dual projector 3D.

It's obvious to me at least some or possibly most of these LieMAX wannabe theaters are doing giant screen 3D with only a single projector and not showing an acceptably bright image. Not all have next generation sound formats like Dolby Atmos or Auro 3D 11.1. And even if they do have Atmos or Auro 3D it's not clear how far they went with the configuration. I've already seen complaints about the audio in one Atmos theater being very different than another. For instance AMC and Regal are apparently treating Dolby Atmos very differently in their respective ETX and RPX auditoriums.

Most of these theaters are missing out on key basics for the screen that used to be standard equipment, namely masking and curtains. IMHO, a movie theater has a construction not finished appearance without the masking and curtains. The movies don't look as good either without those finishing details.

With all of these theaters charging a price premium they deserve to be put under a microscope to see where they are coming up short and to see how they compare with each other.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 12-17-2013 12:17 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We saw this happen with THX.

Exhibitors have discovered:

1. Acronyms serve the dual purpose of providing a "catchy" brand name for the "experience" without offering much in the way of explaining what the heck it is.

2. The plethora of acronyms may create confusion between the premium brands, but they do the job of vaguely suggesting differentiation from "generic." That's all. Nobody cares about the difference between RPX and IMAX. All they care about is that it's "better than average."

3. The simple act of raising the cost of admission lends a "halo effect" to a branded experience.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 12-17-2013 12:59 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One big difference with THX: choosing to see a movie in a THX-certified auditorium didn't result in a surcharge being tacked onto the ticket price. THX didn't cost extra.

I had no problem paying extra to see a filmed in IMAX movie in an IMAX movie theater. The filmmaking process cost a lot more, the prints cost a lot more and the 15/70 theaters were really expensive to build. It was a far different movie-going experience.

That isn't really true for these Lie-MAX style theaters. In most cases you're seeing the same 2K resolution movie file projected on bigger screen with 5.1 or 7.1 sound with the volume knob cranked higher. The theater operators are trying to call it "large format" when that simply is not true.

Other industries have come under fire from groups like the Better Business Bureau, Consumer Reports, etc. for false advertising. If the offense is bad enough industry members may be called to the carpet in front of a congressional subcommittee to explain themselves.

I'm not saying anything like that is going to happen in this case, but something needs to happen to disclose just what is in the booth of these so-called large format theaters. They not all being built and equipped to any consistent "large format" standard.

Pravin Ratnam
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-17-2013 05:47 PM      Profile for Pravin Ratnam   Email Pravin Ratnam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Liemax deserves this. As much as I would prefer seeing a real large format system, as long as ImAX thought it could get away with this liemax crap, I welcome seeing them lose money to competing systems like RPX, or whatever. I saw Gravity in RPX Dolby Atmos and it seemed no worse than Liemax. I hope all the chains put Imax out of business for their cynical business move of moving to Liemax.

As far as a common banner, I don't see a need for chains to do that. They just need to standardize their large format screens and market that to the public as something better than what the other chains offer.

Jason McMillan
Film Handler

- posted 12-17-2013 08:56 PM      Profile for Jason McMillan   Email Jason McMillan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
THX didn't cost extra.
FWIW Santikos Theatres here in Texas doesn't charge more for their "AVX" branded theatres. For instance, their Palladium AVX 22 theatre in West Houston has 6 Dolby Atmos screens (AVX MAX), the others are Barco Auro 11.1 (so they claim, I'm not sure how Auro works, but I did see Dolby CP750s in their sound racks for the non-atmos screens). Keep in mind this theatre bills itself as "AVX" on all screens. The price of admission is just $10.00 for an evening 2D adult ticket ($13.00 3D). AFAIK every auditorium is a 1-projector 4k Barco. At their Silverado Tomball theatre, their two AVX theatres with Atmos are the same price as the other screens, save the IMAX theatre in the same complex which is more expensive. Small chain, but they seem to get it (although they love those Freestyle machines).

Terry Lynn-Stevens
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-17-2013 09:54 PM      Profile for Terry Lynn-Stevens   Email Terry Lynn-Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jason McMillan
FWIW Santikos Theatres here in Texas doesn't charge more for their "AVX" branded theatres.
Hi Jason, good observation. However you can also look at it this way, all of the non-AVX or IMAX locations are around $8 for all seats in the building, every seat at a AVX location regardless if it is AVX or not is $10, so in a way they are charging extra at AVX locations. I am not sure what the average ticket price is in Texas.

Anyways, good eye it looks like Santikos is a pretty good circuit.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 12-17-2013 10:06 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Santikos' AVX houses in their newest theaters are the smaller, more standard auditoriums. They only carry the AVX acronym because they feature wall to wall, floor to ceiling screens with no masking and look like a trampoline mounted to the wall.

Santikos' AVX MAX houses, the ones with Dolby Atmos or Auro 11.1, do charge a premium above the standard ticket price.

Santikos may be a good theater chain, but they didn't have their A-game on display when my girlfriend and I visited their newest theater West of Houston last May. We watched the latest Star Trek movie there. The AVX house showing it had the center channel blown, and this was a theater that had just opened two weeks prior to our visit. No Auro 11.1 either. This was standard 5.1 or 7.1 audio. I did want to see the Star Trek movie in Atmos there, but some new animated movie took up ALL of the available Atmos equipped screens.
[Mad]

John Roddy
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-17-2013 10:44 PM      Profile for John Roddy   Author's Homepage   Email John Roddy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Santikos doesn't charge a premium for any of the AVX houses, not even AVX MAX. Ticket prices are $10 for 2D & $13 for 3D consistently across all of the flagship locations (a.k.a. both Silverados and both Palladiums). The only premiums charged are for IMAX ($14 2D or 3D) and D-BOX ($18).

Also, the regular AVX screens at Palladium AVX are equipped with Dolby CP750's. I believe some of them might have some USL processors instead, but I don't remember for sure. The Palladium IMAX in San Antonio is the one that has both Atmos and Auro. I'm not aware of any other theater out there that's managed to get both under the same roof.

Jason McMillan
Film Handler

- posted 12-18-2013 06:58 PM      Profile for Jason McMillan   Email Jason McMillan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: John Roddy
some USL processors instead
I can't speak for the Houston Palladium, but I do know when I went to see The Book Thief at their Tomball Silverado location, they played the Dolby Countdown logo and peering into the booth there surely was a dolby sound processor. I mention this because it opened in their smallest auditorium (to my knowledge). It was maybe 100 seats.. and i usually expect lower cost equipment in the smaller houses.

And as for ticket prices, just down the street AMC Willowbrook 24 charges $10/2D $12.50/3D for their shows (and they do not have any imax/etx at that theatre), and also in the same pocket is a Movie Tavern for $8/2D $10.75/3D. That being said, $10 - $11 is about average in Houston for the larger chains. Cinemark does have a few that are cheaper, $7.00 range at 290, and $4.50 for first run at their theatre in Texas City. Interestingly, AMC Spring 10, about 12 miles away from Willowbrook, is (to my knowledge) the only first-run showing 35mm is $8.75.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 17 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  15  16  17 

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: