Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Digital Super 8 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Digital Super 8
Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-10-2013 10:14 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, everything old is new again. I came across the link below for a company that plans to manufacture a Super 8 film cartridge for digital capture on your Super 8 Camera.

Click Here

|  IP: Logged

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 12-10-2013 10:38 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Shooting off a ground glass sounds like a dumb idea, especially one that small. Why can't they pick up the image as an aerial image? And internally processing the data to a particular film look is also not a good idea. Compress the data if you must but don't apply looks, IMHO.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 12-10-2013 12:11 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's hard to think who the market for this gizmo will be. It's unlikely to appeal to seniors with Super 8 cameras in their attics, because a lot of them won't be comfortable with PC timeline editing the files afterwards. Arty types will regard it as inauthentic, while professional filmmakers trying to achieve the small gauge look (e.g. in a flashback scene to a 1970s childhood - that sort of thing) will probably regard 720p as being not good enough for integration into their post-production workflow.

If it only costs $30-50 I might get one just as a curiosity, but not if the sticker price is heading towards three figures.

Paul Gordon
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-10-2013 12:16 PM      Profile for Paul Gordon   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Gordon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
or you could shell out the big bucks and buy an all new super 8 camera and shoot on film.

http://www.redsharknews.com/technology/item/1294-super-8-bounces-back-with-a-new-professional-level-super8-camera?utm_source=www.lwks.com+subscribers&utm_campaign=f62add0b05-RSN_Dec10_2013&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_079aaa3026-f62add0b05-74536277

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 12-10-2013 12:24 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The article about the first product suggests that super-8 cartridges are now unavailable. That is demonstrably untrue, as they are listed in the current Kodak motion-picture product catalog.

I wonder how it deals with cameras that are fixed at 18fps?

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 12-10-2013 03:39 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is the all new S8 camera actually a production item, though, or just at the prototype stage? It looks cool and I wish them every success, but there's nothing in that trade mag story to suggest to me that they've gone beyond a prototype and plans announced - same thing as with the long-promised Ferrania relaunch.

All that having been said, $2-3k in today's money isn't big bucks at all, given that the nearest to professional that S8 cameras got (Beaulieu etc.) in the format's mainstream period of the '70s and '80s went for around that figure at that time. $2-3k now is something a small start-up production company could realistically consider buying outright. A professionally spec-ed small gauge film camera from in the middle of the last century (sticker price $10-50k adjusted for inflation, depending on options) is something they'd have had to have rented on a per-production basis.

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-10-2013 04:46 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can shoot on Super 8 cheaply, but there's only 1 guy who's printing them in Germany, so there's basically no cheap way to shoot and project anymore.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-10-2013 06:44 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On a more substantial re-use front P&S Teknik has cone out with a digital magazine for existing Arri SR2&3 cameras... Digital Magazine

As for Super-8... who would want to project it? Straight to digital... Not like it's gonna look good on a big screen anyway. Super 16mm or Ultra 16mm, that's another story. I should add that Agfa recently released a new 16mm color reversal stock...

Mark

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 12-10-2013 06:55 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Leo Enticknap
It's hard to think who the market for this gizmo will be.
Hipsters. That's who.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-10-2013 08:11 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I never thought of Super 8 as being hip. It's for home movies, not giant screen documentaries.

Scott Norwood
Film God

- posted 12-10-2013 08:27 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Edit your own super-8 film, 1970s style

I am just finishing postproduction on two short films which I edited on film (in 16mm). I have no problem with film editing in 16mm, but editing super-8 just looks terribly painful due to the tiny size of the frame and the fact that (in the Kodak film above) one typically edits camera original in super-8. The sound quality is probably not so hot, either. And, when the film is edited, one is left with something that cannot be projected on a large screen, due to the small size of the film frame.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-11-2013 12:10 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Years ago there was a company that was going to market a digital imager that was made into a 35mm cassette with a sensor that one drew out to the location of the shutter in ones slr

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 12-11-2013 12:28 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
I never thought of Super 8 as being hip. It's for home movies, not giant screen documentaries.
To be fair, Vision 200T on Super 8 is in a different league from the reversal stocks of the '70s and '80s - transferred at 2K and carefully graded, it can look (subjectively, to me, at any rate) as good as a 16mm negative shot in the '90s. The problem is that the lenses on most Super 8 cameras were cheap sh!te, and so unless you're shooting on a high end Braun or Beaulieu, or another camera that has been remanufactured to put proper lenses on it (I believe Pro8mm can modify some cameras to take a T-mount), you'll never be able to use the stock to its full potential. Likewise, if you transfer the footage one light on the lower end scanners that "We copy your home movies to DVD" places tend to use, a lot more image information will be lost, too.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 12-11-2013 01:13 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
Anything retro is hip now. Even more hip if it is obsolete.

Taking a perfectly good image and then fucking it up to make it look old is hip now.

Using a clunky super-8 film camera to record amateur-looking digital video will appeal to hipsters.

Scott Norwood
Film God

- posted 12-11-2013 01:15 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What Leo said.

In addition to lenses, another weak point with super-8 is that the pressure plate (which is one of the most precisely made parts of a normal motion-picture camera) is a plastic thing that is built into the Kodak cartridge. By necessity, it is not a precisely machined object, and the film often does not lie flat in the gate. The new camera design referenced above solves this, as do double-super-8 cameras (which do not use cartridge-loaded film).

But, still, super-8 makes little sense in 2013 for most people. Film and processing cost about the same amount as with 16mm, as does telecine time. But, with super-8, the number of facilities that will deal with the format is very limited, the footage cannot easily be printed and projected as film, and the image quality is poorer than with any other film format. For $3k, a good, used 16mm camera would be a better purchase.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: