Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Star Wars Episode VII coming in December 2015 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Star Wars Episode VII coming in December 2015
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-09-2013 08:33 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Disney to release new 'Star Wars' film on December 18, 2015

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - The next movie in the "Star Wars" franchise will arrive in theaters on December 18, 2015, Walt Disney Co said on Thursday, two weeks after producers hired a new writer to shepherd the script into production.

Disney purchased "Star Wars" producer Lucasfilm for $4.05 billion in 2012 and promised at least three more films in the series, one of the biggest movie franchises of all time.

"This, obviously, is one of the most important movies we have in the next few years, and we've chosen a date we believe will allow the creative team the time to make a great film," Disney chief executive Bob Iger said in a conference call with Wall Street analysts.

The pre-Christmas date puts the film's release in the prime holiday movie season, a departure for the "Star Wars" franchise. The previous six films have all been released in May, in time for the summer movie season.

Filming of the new movie, currently called "Star Wars: Episode VII," is set to begin in spring 2014 and will be directed by J.J. Abrams, who is best known for directing the most recent films in the "Star Trek" science fiction series.

Filming will take place in England, returning the franchise to its British roots as the six previous "Star Wars" films were all partly filmed at studios in Britain.

No acting choices have been announced, but original cast members Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher and Harrison Ford have been in talks to appear in the upcoming film.

Last month, producer Kathleen Kennedy said Lawrence Kasdan would team with Abrams to write the screenplay, replacing Oscar-winning screenwriter Michael Arndt on the project.

Kasdan co-wrote the screenplays for the second and third "Star Wars" films, "The Empire Strikes Back" and "Return of the Jedi."

The "Star Wars" franchise, which was created by director George Lucas, has grossed more than $4.4 billion at the worldwide box office since the first film was released in 1977.

Orlando Sentinel

|  IP: Logged

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-10-2013 12:05 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Someone is bound to start standing in line for this pretty soon!!

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-10-2013 12:31 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As friend of mine put it in regards to ticket campers...

"Star Wars in December? It'll be like camping out on Hoth."

Well, at least 'round these parts.

AJG

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 11-10-2013 07:06 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So wasn't this announced like 8 months ago?

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-10-2013 08:30 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't remember seeing the exact date before, only the announcement of the movie coming in 2015. Since I don't have time to read the whole Internet though, I could be incorrect on that.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 11-10-2013 08:39 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Redifer
So wasn't this announced like 8 months ago?

The latest is the special Director's Cut announcement [evil]

Jarod Reddig
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-11-2013 11:56 PM      Profile for Jarod Reddig   Email Jarod Reddig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Im a Star Wars nut so Im super excited!!! Im wearing Darth Vader flanel pants as Im typing this.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 11-12-2013 10:56 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With some of the weird crap J.J. Abrams has pulled with his reboot of the Star Trek saga, I'm looking at the release of this new Star Wars movie with a certain amount of dread.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 11-12-2013 11:52 AM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
^^^^^^^ What he said. [uhoh] [uhoh]

Victor Liorentas
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-12-2013 11:54 AM      Profile for Victor Liorentas   Email Victor Liorentas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On the plus side JJ has reopened the ILM model shop and is shooting this on film! [Smile]

Pravin Ratnam
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-14-2013 03:54 AM      Profile for Pravin Ratnam   Email Pravin Ratnam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nothing to worry about. Can it be really any worse than what Lucas did with the prequels? Plus I thought the Trek reboots were better than most of the earlier Trek movies(though for me, nothing beats the original TV series).

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 11-14-2013 12:26 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The past two Star Trek movies in the rebooted saga are better in some respects to the 1980's movies, but worse in others.

The Into Darkness installment was hardly dark at all. It re-used some key plot points from the original 80's Trek movies to far less dramatic effect, reducing them down to mere plot point clip art. And then the movie had some unintentionally funny/bad moments, like Captain Kirk hanging from a bar trying to kick some warp coil thingie back into place. He looked ineffective doing that kicking, and it even looked like he was stifling a giggle.

Add to that my concern a fair amount of insipid, ADHD spazoid visual style will be injected into these new Star Wars movies. For instance, the interstellar CG visuals on the end titles of the recent two Star Trek movies were garishly cartoonish, sped up and totally lacking in sense of scale. It would have been fitting for them to have unicorns prancing across the screen farting disco sprinkles in front of all the planets and stars.

Yeah, I think it's a plus J.J. Abrams will shoot these new movies on film and even use some practical models. OTOH, I'm afraid he'll create more WTF moments with plotting decisions that shit all over the continuity of the previous Star Wars movies.

Abrams will score at least a few points with me if he doesn't dig up that "miticlorines" bullshit that completely trivialized The Force. It's one of the things I hate about some science fiction: some writers can't leave certain "big" things like The Force unexplained. They gotta explain it and thus kill any magic or mystery involved with it.

Terry Lynn-Stevens
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-12-2013 03:49 PM      Profile for Terry Lynn-Stevens   Email Terry Lynn-Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Millennium Falcon spacecraft built for Star Wars: Episode VII

The legendary spacecraft adapted by Han Solo in Return of the Jedi is set to return, prompting speculation that Harrison Ford has also signed on

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2013/nov/28/star-wars-vii-millennium-falcon-harrison-ford

So far the only character confirmed 100% to appear in Star Wars: Episode VII is diminutive droid R2D2. But another stalwart of the long-running space saga is reportedly being built at London's Pinewood studios: the Millennium Falcon.

The legendary space freighter, which Harrison Ford's Han Solo adapted himself for extra speed (and which can reputedly make the Kessel Run in under 12 parsecs) was last seen on the big screen in 1983's Return of the Jedi. Now Latino Review quotes a source suggesting the ship's interior has already been completed at Pinewood, where director JJ Abrams will shoot Star Wars: Episode VII early next year.

The Millennium Falcon's return suggests Solo himself is likely to appear in the Disney-produced Star Wars film, which is tipped to be the first of a new trilogy. The studio purchased all rights to the series via a buyout of George Lucas's LucasFilm for $4.05bn (£2.48bn) in October 2012. Ford himself has been taciturn about his chances of returning to his best-known role, telling UK talk show host Graham Norton last month that he had "not quite made the choice".

Latino Review has a track record of attention-grabbing scoops, though its accuracy has occasionally been called into question. The blog correctly predicted that Disney-owned Marvel would make cosmic space ensemble Guardians of the Galaxy its next big screen comic book adaptation, causing dismay and threats of legal action at the studio. But it also reported in March that Christian Bale would return to the role of Batman for studio Warner Bros, a suggestion later torpedoed when it emerged Ben Affleck had agreed to be the new caped crusader.

Yahoo Movies also suggests the Millennium Falcon will be back, and will be the biggest version of the spacecraft ever built. "A full-scale 1:1 Millennium Falcon has been built as well as the interiors of the ship for filming," a source told the site. "The Falcon is done – inside and out. The sets were built off-site, ready to move when Lucasfilm/Bad Robot were ready to move into Pinewood."

Star Wars: Episode VII is due in cinemas in December 2015.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 12-13-2013 04:58 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
With some of the weird crap J.J. Abrams has pulled with his reboot of the Star Trek saga, I'm looking at the release of this new Star Wars movie with a certain amount of dread.
On the other hand, he's stated that he never was a fan of Star Trek and is a fan of Star Wars. So that could be helpful, in that he is more likely to be faithful to something he actually likes. But that could be wishful thinking.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-13-2013 06:27 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So apparently the world consists of four kinds of people:

1. People who love Star Wars and are excited about the new movies

2. People who love Star Wars but wish they'd left well enough alone after the first three movies

3. People who love Star Wars but hate the last three movies, but tolerate them because ... well, they're Star Wars, so they're kind of excited (but with dread) about the new movies

4. Everyone else

I just hope that Disney realizes they are in a no-win game here. They could make the greatest science fiction movie in the history of this or any other universe, but there will still be pockets of Star Wars fans here and there who will dump on it just because that'll be the fashionable thing to do. So they'd better just brace themselves.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: