Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Oklahoma City Tornado: Moore Theatres (Warren)

Author Topic: Oklahoma City Tornado: Moore Theatres (Warren)
Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 05-20-2013 03:47 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Weather Channel has just showed aftermath of tornado hitting Moore Theatres (Warren) and a school. Good luck Guys!

|  IP: Logged

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 05-20-2013 04:48 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
KFOR has a live feed of the devastation. Warren Moore's marquee is completely trashed and the building, while largely appearing intact, likely has significant damage. Warren's parking lot is being used to stage a search and rescue command center.

That's nothing compared to the blocks upon blocks of flattened homes and the reports of children trapped under debris in at least a couple of schools.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 05-20-2013 05:08 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was wanting to watch a few movies there this summer. That looks unlikely now. It's probably going to take months or longer for the theater to re-open.

I expect structural engineers will have to carefully inspect the building. If the damage is too bad the theater will have to be rebuilt from scratch.

Obviously, the status of this theater pales in comparison to the much larger tragedy unfolding in the neighborhoods nearby. A couple of schools were heavily damaged, possibly with children still inside. The tornado completely flattened homes in a diameter of three or more blocks wide. Other structures on the outside of that absolutely damage path zone looked seriously damaged. As bad as the Warren Theater looks, I think the tornado hop-scotched over it or glanced it.

Lots of comparisons are already being made to the May 3, 1999 tornado that hit the Southern suburbs of Oklahoma City. That twister was a true F-5, boasting the highest wind speeds ever observed in a tornado: over 300mph. However, its damage path wasn't all that wide. The tornado that hit Moore today may only be rated as an EF-4 or EF-5, but the funnel was as wide as 2.5 miles and the damage path was much wider. A lot more development has taken place in Moore and Newcastle in the past 14 years. That gave the tornado today a hell of a lot more to destroy.

Matthew McBride
Film Handler

- posted 05-20-2013 06:36 PM      Profile for Matthew McBride   Email Matthew McBride   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was reading on-line that the owner said it looks like just the front was damaged and the theater itself is mostly intact, but like you said Bobby, it won't certain until the engineers can get in and examine the true damage. I was watching the weather channel to see the damage that happened through Moore and I was amazed how much damage it did. Wiping out those schools and all. Like you said they were already comparing it to the one that hit in May of 1999. It's crazy how powerful the storms can be. I hope that if anyone is in the Moore area was safe and they did not suffer any losses.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 05-20-2013 07:34 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Even if this tornado is only rated as an EF-4 in terms of severity, it has already inflicted more damage and casualties than the F-5 tornado from May 3, 1999.

The latest word from the Moore, OK Medical Examiner's office is 37 confirmed dead with the toll expected to rise. First responders are pulling the bodies of elementary students from one of the schools. At least half a dozen or as many as 30 kids were trapped in the bottom of the school (basement maybe?); it reportedly filled with water. I hope that turns out not to be true.

Matthew McBride
Film Handler

- posted 05-20-2013 08:49 PM      Profile for Matthew McBride   Email Matthew McBride   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It looks like they've bumped the fatality rate up to 51 and that they are now calling this an EF-5. It's terrible to see those numbers go up.

Mark Ogden
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-21-2013 07:47 AM      Profile for Mark Ogden   Email Mark Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Los Angeles Times:

Oklahomans ride out killer tornado inside movie theater

James Dock was treating a friend to a movie Monday afternoon to celebrate the friend's 21st birthday.

In the Oklahoma City suburb of Moore, Dock, 25, splurged on tickets for "Star Trek Into Darkness" at the Warren Theatre's more expensive balcony seats, for those 21 and older.

The movie had just begun when phones started buzzing with weather alerts, Dock told the Los Angeles Times via text message. He said it was difficult to communicate because cellphone signals and Internet were down.

Outside, a massive tornado wielding 200-mph winds was ripping through Moore. By evening, at least 51 people were dead, including several children, and at least 120 were injured. The death toll was likely to rise, officials said.

"We never heard sirens, but we could hear something bouncing off the roof," Dock told the Times. "I thought it was hail, but I didn't see any afterward."

Dock said the theater manager came in just before 3 p.m. and ushered those in the balcony downstairs, telling them to go into the halls between theaters.

One weather forecaster on KWTV-9 warned the public: "You want to put as many walls between you and the tornado" as possible.

"We were in the hall for about five minutes when the power went off," he said. "The emergency lights started fading and going out, so people started using the lights on their phones."

About 3:15 p.m., a theater employee shouted for everyone to get against the wall and put their heads down, Dock said. The air pressure dropped, he said, and it felt cold.

"There was a great kind of roaring sound, and the ground started shaking, making everything else start shaking," he told The Times.

After about 10 minutes, theatergoers got the all-clear, he said.

"Most people got up and left, but some of us stayed in the dark hall for about 10 more minutes," he said. "We weren't really sure how bad it was until we walked outside. Mud and debris were covering everything. The marquee of the theater had been torn off of the front, and there was broken glass everywhere."

The driver's-side windows of Dock's car were smashed in by an 18-inch chunk of wood, he said. A bowling alley "was completely gone, and the medical center looked torn in half, and there was a car sticking out of it," he said.

"There was a cloud of smoke rising from behind the theater," he said. "The police started showing up immediately," followed by ambulances and fire trucks. The IMAX theater was turned into a triage center, Dock said.

"They started bringing people out of the wreckage and taking them there," he texted. "A couple of people showed up with gloves and helped me get the broken glass off the seats of my car so I could leave."

Dock said he was shaken by the experience, but also relieved.

"Now that I have seen what almost hit us, I feel extremely lucky to be alive," he said. "I feel numb."

hailey.branson@latimes.com

Sam Graham

- posted 05-21-2013 10:18 AM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From the Warren website:

quote:
MOORE WARREN EXTREME WEATHER NOTICE:

Due to damage from extreme weather conditions, the Moore Warren is closed.

We are hoping to re-open on Friday, May 24th. Please check back for updates.

It would surprise me if that happens, but...

Sam Graham

- posted 05-23-2013 09:16 AM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some more definitive news, and a new target opening date (May 29):

SOURCE: KSN

quote:
MOORE, Okla. (AP) – A movie theater damaged by the Moore tornado plans to reopen in a week.

Bill Warren owner of the Warren Theater multiplex said Wednesday that the building sustained between $500,000 and $1 million in damage.

Warren says most of the damage was to the exterior, though there was some water damage inside. He says architects and structural engineers have inspected the facility and found it to be sound.

Between 150 and 200 people were inside the theater when the tornado ripped through Moore. Warren says no one in the theater was injured.

Warren says the theater cost $40 million to build and that its walls and hallways were constructed with concrete to give it high structural integrity.

Warren says repairs will be complete before the planned May 29 reopening.

The exits to Moore along I-35 are all still closed and travel is still not advised in the area.

Richard P. May
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-23-2013 05:24 PM      Profile for Richard P. May   Email Richard P. May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's a long way from this week's disaster, but the happenings in Moore brought back memories.
In the mid-1950s, along with my regular job as a booker at the Oklahoma City branch of Universal Film Exchange, a friend and I leased the Moore Theater. At that time, it was a real example of what today we'd think of as a "last picture show" type structure. Our operation only lasted a few months, since it just couldn't generate enough revenue to keep going.
My sympathies to all affected in what today must be a very different place.

Jarod Reddig
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-23-2013 07:52 PM      Profile for Jarod Reddig   Email Jarod Reddig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sure is a tragedy. I live in Hays, Kansas and we had a tornado scare the other night but it went back into the clouds before it could do any damage. My wife and I have driven down the the Moore Warren a few seperate times to see movies and have always ejoyed the place since it was built. Last year I had bought tickets to see Titanic 3D in Imax there. When we drove up that morning a storm had hit the night before that had a history of producing a tornado and it had done some damage to the IMAX there. They said the satalite equipment got damaged. They had it repaired that evening so we were issued tickets for the next day and free popcorn vouchers so we just got a motel and stayed the night.

That was the time I found out that alot of Oklahoma do not have basements and I was surprised. Im sure you guys on here know but I wasn't aware until I had asked the Motel clerk where a storm shelter was cause storms were brewing that same night. He laughed at me as said "sorry we don't have those here". Is it because of the sandy soil?

Anyways it sure seems that the Moore Warren and surrounding area has gone through alot of storms. I was glad to hear that the death toll was lowered but still horrible. Also glad that the Warren didn't get destroyed. Seem Bill really built that place like a tank.

Matthew McBride
Film Handler

- posted 05-23-2013 11:17 PM      Profile for Matthew McBride   Email Matthew McBride   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From what I am told, there aren't too many basements here because it's mostly clay underneath the soil so it is hard to dig into. Plus the clay retains water so depending on where your house may be, you could get a lot of water leaks into the basement producing mold and such. Though I know of at least one person that rented a house before they bought the one they have now and he said the basement was actually pretty temperate, cool/ mostly dry.

Jarod Reddig
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-24-2013 01:11 AM      Profile for Jarod Reddig   Email Jarod Reddig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cool thanks Matthew.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 06-04-2013 03:47 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bump. The Moore Warren Theater re-opened last week.

Obviously metro OKC wasn't done with tornadoes. The big one (first of five) that hit El Reno and other parts of the Western OKC suburbs this past Friday (May 31) has now been measured as the widest tornado ever recorded: 2.6 miles, with near record setting wind speeds of 295mph -that's true F5 strength on the old Fujita scale. The May 3, 1999 tornado that tore through Bridge Creek, Newcastle and Moore is the current record holder with wind speeds over 300mph.

Storm season isn't over yet either. We have more chances for severe weather today. Hopefully Lawton will continue its lucky streak. We haven't had a tornado touch down within the city itself in 34 years. A small one touched down by the Goodyear plant a few weeks ago.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: