Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Disney (or Fox?) decides not to go ahead with the rest of the 3D Star Wars releases (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Disney (or Fox?) decides not to go ahead with the rest of the 3D Star Wars releases
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-28-2013 05:55 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
STAR WARS 3D prequels won't be released

EXCLUSIVE: I learned of this decision just now from Lucasfilm‘s promotional partners who are telling me the studio now owned by Disney wants to focus only on “rebooting the franchise” with three new Star Wars films.

This surprising decision follows the underwhelming box office performance of Episode I: The Phantom Menace re-released in 3D in February 2012. It debuted to only $23M domestically but maybe even more importantly hardcore fans felt it was yet another craven cash grab by George Lucas.

Back in September 2010, Lucasfilm and then-distributor Fox announced that all 6 films in the Star Wars franchise would be converted to 3D. Episode II: Attack Of The Clones (first released on May 16, 2002) was to hit theaters in 3D on September 20th, 2013, while Episode III: Revenge Of The Sith (first released on May 19, 2005) was to play in 3D on October 11, 2013. This news comes just days after Disney confirmed that J.J. Abrams will direct the new Star Wars: Episode VII scheduled to be released in 2015. It’s the first new Star Wars movie since 2005. Michael Arndt is writing the script.

Disney bought Lucasfilm in October 2012 for $4 billion, with the Star Wars franchise obviously the jewel in the crown. At the time, Disney CEO Bob Iger said three more Star Wars films were in the pipeline.
Link

|  IP: Logged

Jonathan M. Crist
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-28-2013 06:48 PM      Profile for Jonathan M. Crist   Email Jonathan M. Crist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A couple of weeks ago Disney announced that it was "postponing" the Sept 13th re-release of "The Little Mermaid" in 3D.

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-28-2013 08:07 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the reason why Episode 1's 3D release was so underwhelming were two things: one it was lambasted as being not the best of the six films (duh), and two the 3D was lacklustre at best. Supposedly Episode II's conversion is/was being done by the folks who converted Cameron's Titanic (and that was a great conversion) ...

oh well.. c'est la vie.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-28-2013 08:30 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really don't think the cancellation is ONLY due to the B.O. performance of Episode I. They had to know it wouldn't be a blockbuster, given it's the least-regarded of the entire series.

No...this has Disney's fingerprints all over it. They don't want to compete with themselves. That's why they don't let their animated films be used for matinees. So when you add THAT fact alongside the lackluster B.O. of Episode I and (more recently) Monsters Inc., it's not hard to see why they've done what they did.

What I wonder is, would the future 3D Star Wars releases have been Disney releases or Fox? And if Fox, did Disney have to pay them off to get the release cancelled?

We probably better brace ourselves for the blowup that'll happen if Disney announces that Episodes VII, VIII and IX will be in 3-D (which I wouldn't be surprised if they do).

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-28-2013 08:46 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It may just be me but due to the nature of the musical scores, the Fox fanfare (with CinemaScope extension) really set the tone for the opening of those movies and also made the abrupt silence for the "Long time ago..." cards, and then to the hit of the first note as the logo hit.

That Fox fanfare was really part of the score to me. Something will be missing if it isn't there on future releases of any of the current titles or the new ones.

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-28-2013 08:46 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
that's too bad about the lacklustre BO intake of Monsters Inc. since the 3D conversion has the stongest 3D pop I've seen of a Pixar film.

Geoff Jones
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-28-2013 09:29 PM      Profile for Geoff Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Geoff Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Guttag
It may just be me but due to the nature of the musical scores, the Fox fanfare (with CinemaScope extension) really set the tone for the opening of those movies and also made the abrupt silence for the "Long time ago..." cards, and then to the hit of the first note as the logo hit.

That Fox fanfare was really part of the score to me. Something will be missing if it isn't there on future releases of any of the current titles or the new ones.

Bah - this post is silly. The fanfare will still be there. Disney will buy Fox.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 01-29-2013 05:50 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't that funny? That was my first concern when I heard that Disney bought Lucasfilm and was going to be releasing more Star Wars movies. I bet for a lot of people the Fox Fanfare is actually the Star Wars Fanfare. I think my comment was that Disney better license the Fox Fanfare or else it will really seem like the movie opening is missing something.

Bernie Anderson Jr
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-29-2013 08:04 AM      Profile for Bernie Anderson Jr   Author's Homepage   Email Bernie Anderson Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was thinking about the Fox/logo and fanfare too when I first heard of the purchase.

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-29-2013 09:19 AM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Fox Fanfare is the ringtone on my phone.

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-29-2013 10:11 AM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I could understand a little more with them doing away with the Fox logo for all future new films. But for the Original Trilogy (and the prequels too) it is just as much part of the film as anything else and needs to be kept. Throw the Disney logo at the end of the credits if you must, but don't take away that beautiful fanfare!

AJG

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-29-2013 11:47 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Movie lovers at Disney would insist on keeping the fanfare at all cost. The bean counters will tell them to just start off with the Lucasfilm logo.

I agree though, even though I'm a casual SW fan at best, the Fox fanfare really makes the beginnings of those movies.

The article makes no mention at all of the original 3 Star Wars films. I'll bet they'll put them out in quick succession in the spring of 2015 now.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 01-29-2013 03:56 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Absolutely.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 01-29-2013 11:57 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Even with Disney now owning Lucasfilm, wouldn't there still be some chance of Fox distributing the new Star Wars movies? I only say this because of what has been happening with certain Marvel Entertainment movies. Disney now owns Marvel, but Paramount Pictures distributed The Avengers and will distribute Iron Man 3.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 01-30-2013 02:14 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's possible. I saw that if Disney wants to release a box set of all the movies together anytime soon, they'll have to work with Fox since they own the worlwide distribution rights to Star Wars forever and the other movies through sometime in 2020. http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/tangled-rights-could-tie-up-384541

So, it's possible that Fox could distribute the upcoming movies since Fox may insist on it for Disney to get this box set they want in the negotiations.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: