Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Storing/running film equipment in an Oklahoma garage?

Author Topic: Storing/running film equipment in an Oklahoma garage?
Matthew McBride
Film Handler

- posted 01-08-2013 01:41 PM      Profile for Matthew McBride   Email Matthew McBride   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I tried searching on the forum, though I couldn't find an answer. I would like to store and run my film equipment in my garage. It is a finished garage that is attached to my house but I don't know if it is insulated. I can't do major changes to it as we are only renting it. Right now all the equipment is doing is sitting in a spare bedroom that is too small to use it in. I would like to use it, though I am wondering if there are any dangers in using and storing it in the garage, as temps can get fairly high in this region during the summer months, plus the fluxuation of highs and lows during day to night. More over I would like to use my digital projector and such out there as well. Any insight is appreciated. If necessary the equipment is as follows: Christie SLC30 modded to run 1000 watt bulbs, Christie P35GP, Dolby CP500, and Strong AP3. Thanks.

|  IP: Logged

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 01-08-2013 02:10 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think that I would be more concerned about the film and about the video projector than I would about the film projector and associated equipment. Drive-in booths are typically not heated or cooled, and the equipment seems to do fine anyway. Note that anything rubber (belts, etc.) will likely deteriorate faster in a hot environment, but I don't see why the projection equipment would not be happy to sit in a garage (don't store film there, though...it needs a more controlled environment). I might be a bit worried about dust, but that, too, will affect film more than it will the projector.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 01-08-2013 02:17 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
^^^ What Scott said. [Smile]

The 35mm projector, platter and console will generally not be bothered at all by storage in the temps. It would of course be a good idea to warm up the equipment for about 5-10 minutes if cold, before running a film. The heat shouldn't be too big of a factor either because if it is so hot in the garage you can't stand to be in there you won't be running a movie anyways. [Smile]

The CP500's LCD might behave oddly when it it cold but won't be damaged. If it is so hot that the LCD is acting up then it is too hot to be operating the equipment safely IMHO.

The platter's behavior might also be sluggish when cold..check it before running a print.

Otherwise dirt is gonna be your biggest problem. Unless the garage is finished (which in a rental is unlikely) you will be constantly fighting to keep things clean.

Matthew McBride
Film Handler

- posted 01-09-2013 10:29 AM      Profile for Matthew McBride   Email Matthew McBride   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the input guys. My other spare bedroom is were I keep my films, so that I can try to keep it as climate/temp controlled as I possibly can with dehumidifier and all. I only plan on taking the film out there when I watch a movie. The garage is actually finished, at least with drywall anyways as we have a small attic space above it. A few more concerns is, should I be worried about wire coverings melting or lenses cracking? Also, this may seem stupid considering that the bulbs run at a much higher temp, though they have cooling fans, but should I worry about the bulbs sitting in such heat when not running?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: