Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Save America's Cinemas (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Save America's Cinemas
Joseph Hernandez
Film Handler

- posted 01-03-2013 10:35 AM      Profile for Joseph Hernandez   Author's Homepage   Email Joseph Hernandez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our theater recently got involved with Save America's Cinemas.

They are a non profit fundraising group to help small theaters across the nation overcome the burden of going digital.

I thought I would help spread the word and get Film-Tech users' opinion on such a project.

|  IP: Logged

Edward Havens
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-03-2013 11:17 AM      Profile for Edward Havens   Email Edward Havens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As I've said in other threads, this kind of crowdsourcing is no guarantee the building will be run effectively once it gets equipped with all these new toys. Theatres owners have had many years to find ways to fund the digital conversion, and have seen opportunities like the VPF program come and go. IMHO, if one is not digital by now, one is probably either stubborn, arrogant, stupid, cheap or a bit of each.

I like how companies like Christie, Harkness and Doremi are allegedly sponsors of this program. Since a new projector, screen and server are the main costs of changing over to digital, why don't these three companies skip the gimmick of a cheap looking website with endorsements by a bunch of C-list "celebrities" soliciting crowdsourcing funding, and just give these theatres "in need" the equipment now and set up long term financing for them?

That's a rhetorical question, by the way.

Joseph Hernandez
Film Handler

- posted 01-03-2013 12:31 PM      Profile for Joseph Hernandez   Author's Homepage   Email Joseph Hernandez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You make a good point about not being equipped to handle the new equipment.

For the past two years I have been researching digital cinema and there is a lot to. I've tried to get the owners to jump on VPfs or just simply finance but you have described them pretty well. [Roll Eyes]

I'm doing everything I can to make our theater work but I'm just a glorified projectionist with the title manager.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 01-03-2013 12:34 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would like to see an authoritative source for the "film will become unavailable in 2013" claim. John Fithian does not count.

Joseph Hernandez
Film Handler

- posted 01-03-2013 01:11 PM      Profile for Joseph Hernandez   Author's Homepage   Email Joseph Hernandez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would also like to know when the "deadline" is.

However my booker has had trouble getting me films because prints were not available for us. The most recent was we had to wait an extra week for Life of Pi. [Confused]

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-03-2013 08:45 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Even Fithian has not "set a date." All he has ever done is repeat what was in the famous Fox letter, which did indeed say they "probably" wouldn't distribute film past the end of '13.

quote:
Since a new projector, screen and server are the main costs of changing over to digital,
You don't need a new screen to convert to digital. So you can knock that couple of thousand dollars off your estimates. [Wink]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-03-2013 10:55 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
You have two dilemmas here:

1. 35mm print film stock will be coming to an end soon. Some of this has been announced already.

2. With more and more theaters converting to digital, fewer and fewer prints will be struck, which drives up the cost per print. As the cost per print increases, the studios will be unwilling to strike prints to send to the lower grossing theaters.

Either way, new 35mm prints will not be manufactured by the end of this year. Time for everybody to wake up.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 01-04-2013 06:15 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad--I do not dispute what you say, since you are obviously in the know about such things, but it looks odd when an organization whose entire raison d'etre is that '35mm film is going away in 2013' cannot provide an authoritative reference that states this.

One of the issues with being a non-profit is that they need to make it clear to the public that their cause is important. Right now, their web site does not do that. The whole thing looks sketchy because it is based on a statement that cannot be verified. I am not sure how they can get around this, but they could at least be honest and say something like "we expect that new movies will be unobtainable in 35mm by the end of 2013."

edit: grammar

[ 01-04-2013, 08:38 AM: Message edited by: Scott Norwood ]

Scott Jentsch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-04-2013 10:54 AM      Profile for Scott Jentsch   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Jentsch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I dislike the idea of a for-profit business soliciting donations to cover expenses, which is the approach some small theaters have taken. Unless the theater is operating as a non-profit charitable organization (and all the responsibilities that come with that designation), it's not very classy to put out the donation jar with the implicit or implied ultimatum that the theater will/may close if they don't contribute.

When you pay to go to a sporting event at a stadium, do they ask for donations to get a new scoreboard? Does the gas station you go to ask for money to buy new pumps? If a restaurant needs a new stove, do they ask their customers for an extra couple of bucks to cover the cost?

Churches do this when they have to replace a roof or install a new boiler, or some other expense that exceeds their budget. I get that, because they are a charitable organization whose primary purpose is to serve a greater good and they are (usually) registered as a 501(c)3 so donations are tax-deductible. Churches are also public to their members about their budgets and in many cases, the books are available for examination to guard against fraud.

Where is the accountability when a theater wants to raise $65,000 for a capital equipment expenditure? How are those donating sure that the equipment actually costs that much, and what guarantee do they have that if the goal is reached, the theater will stay in business for the forseeable future? What happens if only $30,000 is raised and the equipment is not purchased? Who gets the money?

Too many unanswered/unaddressed questions for my taste.

I think the Save Our Cinemas group has a noble pursuit. However, exactly how a donation helps the cause is unexplained, and I would be curious to know how much of every dollar collected is going towards the stated cause vs. "administrative costs."

There are 47 theaters on the list, so does that mean that each theater will get 1/47th of the money collected? If each theater has one screen, and each screen costs ~$50,000 to convert (to use an easy number), that means that almost $2.4 million will need to be raised (ignoring those pesky administrative fees and assuming that 100% of the proceeds to go the theaters).

The cynical part of me doesn't like this effort at all, but perhaps I'm misunderstanding the situation.

I think it's great that Christie and the other providers have signed on as sponsors. Who knows what that really means when it comes down to it, though.

The way I would attack the problem of small theaters not being able to handle the capital costs of converting to digital cinema is to organize them as a group to leverage buying power. Not just in buying digital cinema equipment, but in every way. Small theaters have common challenges and common goals in most cases. It's only through organizing themselves that they can leverage better pricing and arrangements with suppliers, not just of equipment but perhaps other items as well. If someone representing a group of theaters came to me and asked for a better deal, I would definitely be interested in giving them discounts that would not be made available to each theater individually.

(It's quite possible that was already available via the CBG, so if it was, and these theaters didn't take advantage of those deals, they wouldn't be interested in any new deals either.)

The flip side is that if they want to solicit donations like a charity, they should turn themselves into a charity. Qualify for 501(c)3 status, put together a Board of Directors, and be accountable to the public that they now depend on for support.

You can't have it both ways in my mind. Either you're a charity or a for-profit business. It's not appropriate to ask for handouts when you're the latter. I'm open to having my mind changed, so I'm interested in hearing arguments to the contrary.

Mark Hajducki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-04-2013 12:21 PM      Profile for Mark Hajducki   Email Mark Hajducki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If somebody was going to donate I would expect them to want the money to go to their local cinema, not split amongst a lot of other cinemas that they have never visited.

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-04-2013 12:22 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
More than likely, these theatres would need:

1) Digital Projector
2) Digital Cinema Server/Player
3) A New Sound System

There is also power issues that need addressed for the new equipment.

Isn't there such thing as being D.C.I. Compliant anymore?

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 01-04-2013 12:49 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Dennis Benjamin
3) A New Sound System
In most cases, your current sound system is perfectly suitable with some minor modifications.

quote: Dennis Benjamin
There is also power issues that need addressed for the new equipment.
The biggest power draw in any projector is the lamp house. If you replace your current 35mm projector with a digital projector with similar wattage, why should there be power issues? Also, a server isn't really that power hungry. Sure, you need to look into it, but in most cases I guess it's not the BIG issue.

The industry is also moving ahead and prices will drop. Of course, that will not leave everybody out of the rain, but it will help to get more conversions going.

Barco recently introduced the DP2K-10Sx, this is a fully DCI compliant projector and integrated IMS with 2TByte of effective storage for screens of up to about 33ft for under $40K. I'm expecting others like NEC and Christie to come with similar offers, if there aren't already.

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 01-04-2013 02:48 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did digital just show up 6 months ago with the announcement of the soon end of film prints?
No! It first came about ten (10) years ago, about 8 years ago it was pretty obvious that it was coming and sooner than later. Those who chose to sit on their hands and make no plans will soon be run over by the digital locomotive. A couple hundred bucks a week socked into a saving or secure investment account would have done it but it's probably too late now. Non profits still could raise the funds to do it but for profits without deep pockets are screwed.
Why would anybody give cash to a for profit operation when the owner has already demonstrated a lack of foresight and willingness to move with the technology while there was plenty of time to do so.
The private owner isn't likely to give up his total control to a board of directors which even if made up of his personally selected friends and family will be impossible for him to manage. Eventually he will be ousted and he knows it.

Andrew Thomas
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-04-2013 02:57 PM      Profile for Andrew Thomas   Email Andrew Thomas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"When you pay to go to a sporting event at a stadium, do they ask for donations to get a new scoreboard?"

Yes. Almost every stadium/area/ballpark built since the early 1990s in the U.S. has been done so primarily with public funds pushed through on the explicit claim that "The team will leave and go to another city" if the citizens don't pony up the dough.

David Buckley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-04-2013 04:00 PM      Profile for David Buckley   Author's Homepage   Email David Buckley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bill Enos
Did digital just show up 6 months ago with the announcement of the soon end of film prints?
That's a really interesting question.

I'm one of a few projectionists that did the occasion shift in a non-profit that has been showing movies to raise funds for good causes, and the group has been doing this since around 1915. It works even until recent times as the ongoing costs are very small, the equipment was paid off years ago, so essentially, door take - (film costs + venue costs + very small overheads) = money for community causes.

Two things have upset this cosy applecart.

The first is a series of earthquakes that have had significant effects on most of Canterbury: our venue (a multi-purpose village hall) is closed because, although it survived the earthquakes, it is deemed to be an "earthquake prone building" and thus needs significant strengthening work (or to be flattened and replaced) before it can be reopened. So we are not showing movies a the moment.

The second gotcha is the coming of digital.

It's not that I (as the most electronic savvy of the group) didn't see it coming (see this post from about eight years ago), I was convinced by other locals and by folks on this very forum that it would be many more years away than I thought.

So, i suspect, in common with many groups like us, we have under-provisioned for the digital revolution. And the timing stinks because by the time we get our venue back (a couple of years) 35mm may already be a dead duck.

But the real point is this. Even before we were quaked out, we'd been running the numbers for digital, and the truth of the matter is that with 35mm one can operate on the sniff of an oily rag, and be financially viable with a very small scale operation, with average film-going rates and a small population. With digital the capital costs, the costs of servicing debt, and the need to replace equipment much more frequently break that formula I posted a the top; the numbers just don't stack up.

So I suspect it is the end for us, and we won't actually make our century as a functioning unit. A jar isn't going to make up the difference. The only thing that would make up the difference is more people coming to see more films, and going the whole hog with 3D etc. We've played those numbers too, and there is a theoretical possibility that by becoming a first run house, running seven days a week, taking on paid staff, and competing with the big boys in town (an hours drive away) we could make it work. But the bookers won't give first run status to another small cinema that is three hours drive away from the big boys, so they certainly wouldn't give it to us.

The end is nigh.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: