Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Cinemark tries to do a nice thing, gets angry response (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: Cinemark tries to do a nice thing, gets angry response
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-02-2013 04:01 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I can see why families of those victims would never want to go back to the place again, but I think their response to Cinemark's gesture was a little sour grape-ish. Although, having never lost a loved one in this manner I obviously have no point of reference.

Anyway for them to belittle Cinemark's gesture and calling it a "quest for profits" is a little out-of-order. What were they supposed to do? Isn't there an old saying, if you fall off a horse you should get right back on?

Might have been better for Cinemark to just leave it alone...?

Cinemark Offers Tickets To Reopening Night For Aurora Victims' Families, Prompts Angry Response

Family members of those who were killed in the Aurora movie theater shooting sent an angry letter to Cinemark after being invited to "a special evening of remembrance" and a movie in the theater where their loved ones were massacred.

Relatives of eight of the victims signed the letter, saying they were especially angry that the invitations to the theater's reopening night were received so soon after the holidays.

quote: "Excerpt from the letter"
During the holiday we didn't think anyone or anything could make our grief worse but you, Cinemark, have managed to do just that by sending us an invitation two days after Christmas inviting us to attend the re-opening of your theater in Aurora where our loved ones were massacred.Thanks for making what is a very difficult holiday season that much more difficult. Timing is everything and yours is awful...

You (Cinemark) refused our repeated invitations to speak parent to parent with no lawyers involved. Instead, we get invited to attend a "special evening of remembrance" at the very theater where our loved ones lay dead on the floor for over 15 hours. We would give anything to wipe the carnage of that night out of our minds' eye. Thank you for reminding us how your quest for profits has blinded your leadership and made you so callous as to be oblivious to our mental anguish.

The letter also says that that Cinemark never reached out to family members to offer their condolences and that "telling us to be sure 'to reserve our tickets' is wholly offensive to the memory of our loved ones (Click over to The Denver Post to read the full letter).

On January 17th the Century 16 theater, owned by Cinemark, is set to reopen after renovations have been completed.

Theater No. 9, where 12 people were killed and 58 others were wounded on July 20, is reportedly going to be turned into one of Cinemark's "extreme digital cinemas" with a screen that stretches from ceiling to floor. That theater is also set to have 61 less seats than it had on the night of the shooting.

Fox31 reports that the Century 16 theater now has a mural on the outside, with the number 16 removed.

Colorado Governor John Hickenlooper and Aurora Mayor Steve Hogan are both expected to attend the reopening of the theater, but family members of the shooting victims have said they are organizing a boycott of the event.

Last August, Hogan said there had been overwhelming support to reopen the theater after a community survey was conducted by the city.

Hogan called the theater's reopening "another step in the community's healing," but Lonnie Phillips, the stepfather of Jessica Ghawi, who died in the theater shooting, told the Dever Post he felt it was just the opposite.

"It's like people going back to a slaughterhouse, as far as I am concerned."

Denver Post article

Here is the full letter as reported in the Denver Post.

To the Management of Cinemark USA, Inc.:

During the holiday we didn't think anyone or anything could make our grief worse but you, Cinemark, have managed to do just that by sending us an invitation two days after Christmas inviting us to attend the re-opening of your theater in Aurora where our loved ones were massacred.Thanks for making what is a very difficult holiday season that much more difficult. Timing is everything and yours is awful.

You (Cinemark) has shown, and continues to show, ZERO compassion to the families of the victims whose loved ones were killed in their theater. You, Cinemark, have never once reached out to the families to offer condolences.

This disgusting offer that you'd "like to invite you and a guest to a special evening of remembrance on Thursday, January 17 at 5 PM" followed by the showing of a movie and then telling us to be sure "to reserve our tickets" is wholly offensive to the memory of our loved ones.

Our family members will never be on this earth with us again and a movie ticket and some token words from people who didn't care enough to reach out to us, nor respond when we reached out to them to talk, is appalling.

You (Cinemark) refused our repeated invitations to speak parent to parent with no lawyers involved. Instead, we get invited to attend a "special evening of remembrance" at the very theater where our loved ones lay dead on the floor for over 15 hours. We would give anything to wipe the carnage of that night out of our minds' eye. Thank you for reminding us how your quest for profits has blinded your leadership and made you so callous as to be oblivious to our mental anguish.

We, the families, recognize your thinly veiled publicity ploy for what it is: A great opportunity for you to distance yourselves and divert public scrutiny from your culpability in this massacre.

After reading our response to your ridiculously offensive invitation, you now know why we will not be attending your re-opening celebration and will be using every social media tool at our disposal to ask the other victims to ask their friends and family to honor us by boycotting the killing field of our children.

The Families of the Aurora Cinemark Theatre Massacre

Thomas Teves (father of Alex Teves)
Caren Teves (mother of Alex Teves)
Sandy Phillips (mother of Jessica Ghawi)
Lonnie Phillips (stepfather of Jessica Ghawi)
Jerri Jackson (mother of Matt McQuinn)
Greg Medek (father of Micayla Medek)
Rena Medek (mother of Micayla Medek)
Anita Busch (cousin of Greg and Micayla Medek)
Robert Wingo, (father of Rebecca Ann Wingo's two children)
Scott Larimer (father of John Larimer)
Kathleen Larimer (mother of John Larimer)
Jessica Watts (cousin of Jonathan Blunk)
Robert Sullivan (grandfather of Veronica Moser-Sullivan)
Sue Sullivan (grandmother of Veronica Moser-Sullivan)
Cassandra Sullivan (widow of Alex Sullivan)

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-02-2013 05:12 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gotta admit, that was in pretty bad taste for Cinemark to send out a letter like that. Not only is it downright awkward (come watch a movie in the auditorium where your loved ones were killed which is now called XD for "Xtreme Deaths") but it also really does sound like it was written by their marketing guy "be sure to reserve your tickets!" It's a very odd thing for them to do. They should do something else that has nothing to do with the building.

Glad to hear they removed the "16" from the building's logo, though. That makes it all better.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-02-2013 05:45 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe they are going to do something like the idea I mentioned on Facebook: Get rid of the "16" name and renumber the auditoriums, so that the "Theatre 9" stigma will be lessened.

I can't really pass a judgement on Cinemark's gesture unless we can see the letter they sent out.

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 01-02-2013 07:11 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Completely heartless and tasteless. The place should have been demolished and the site put to a different use.

Reminds me of stories I heard from way back where a replacement operator was called to replace one that died in the middle of a shift and had to step over the corpse to get around the booth.

"Show must go on"

Perhaps the stories I heard were apocryphal but somehow I don't think so.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 01-02-2013 07:39 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Sam D. Chavez
Completely heartless and tasteless. The place should have been demolished and the site put to a different use.
That's something I do not agree about. Should we try to erase the stuff that reminds us of the past every time something horrible happens? That's also a little bit like giving in to me.

To some extent, I guess, yes... the show must go on.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-02-2013 08:15 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I think Joe pointed out the biggest issue with the shooting in this thread.

quote: Joe Redifer
Just imagine being trapped in a stadium-seating auditorium during something like this. In order to escape you'd need to run down and forward, towards the shooter and then turn around and run out of a skinny access hallway.
If Cinemark truly cared, they would've modified this building...and every other stadium seating building in their circuit...so every auditorium would have rear exits.

Instead I'm guessing the only structural modification they did was to "XD" it. Sure the XD auditorium may (or may not) have rear exit(s), but what about the non-XD rooms?

Personally this is one rare instance where I think government should step in and mandate things in the construction. We already have some fire and building codes that are required and provide valid safety benefits to the customers (and some that are just silly), but this one is pretty obvious.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 01-02-2013 08:54 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the only thing worse would be to charge the relatives. Wait. . . . they ARE comping them aren't they? No? Louis

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-02-2013 09:15 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
The problem is, if they comp them then it says that their family member's death value is a free ticket. If they don't comp them, then it says their family member's death isn't even worth a free ticket.

Either way is a fail.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 01-02-2013 09:42 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the right thing to do would have been to do nothing.

No matter what Cinemark does, there will be somebody who finds fault with it. People are sad, mad, afraid, emotionally scarred or otherwise upset and the only thing that is going to make them feel better is time. (People suffering from psychological trauma are another issue.) Cinemark trying to contact these people in any way is like poking the proverbial bear.

People in such a fragile emotional state will essentially think up reasons to get pissed off, no matter how nice you try to be. Leroy Mitchell, * himself, could promise to personally kiss the asses of every person who was in that theater and post the video on YouTube for all to see but people would still not be satisfied.

Those people just want to hate something or somebody. They are not acting rationally and they will lash out at the first person or thing they come into contact with. Cinemark should have known that. It was a stupid move to put themselves in such a position.

They should have let sleeping dogs lie.

* Does Leroy Mitchell still own the company?

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 01-03-2013 12:49 AM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Marcel says,

"That's something I do not agree about. Should we try to erase the stuff that reminds us of the past every time something horrible happens? That's also a little bit like giving in to me."

I do get that "the show must go on" in the best sense of it, but this phrase was intended to deal with problems of the actors being too ill to go on, a leaky roof, or a producer who skipped town with the proceeds.

But this was no "ordinary" murder even for the violent culture in the USA, but maybe make a suitable memorial at the site whatever its new use, instead of some meaningless, self serving event. It would have been nice if Cinemark announced some significant changes in layout or security as Brad says.

Last, there are memorials all over the Netherlands to horrific events, so the overall purpose of memorials is well known; to remind us and strive to do better.

Sorry if this sounds too preachy.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 01-03-2013 09:05 AM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is something they really needed to hire a pro to finesse. Instead it sounds like a submission to Boxoffice magazine's Showmandizer.

MAYBE, just MAYBE, if they had some sort of memorial re-opening just with a VERY,VERY carefully selected movie they could have done it tastefully, but it would take lots of taste and effort. And absolutely no trailers for carnage movies. Just inviting them to see whatever random movie will be playing is thoughtless bordering on sick.

The part about not having reached out to the families, or been willing to talk to them without lawyers, really gives the game away. At this point, it would have been best for them to do nothing and do it quietly.

Mike Peterson
Film Handler

- posted 01-03-2013 10:22 AM      Profile for Mike Peterson   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Peterson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It sickens me that they turned #9 into an extreme digital cinema. It almost seems like they are glorifying the massacre by making it state of the art. If Cinemark decided to keep the theatre operational, they should have closed the doors on #9 and run on the other 15 screens and maybe made #9 into a memorial. I for one would never want to see a movie in that house and what type of movie would you play in there? Can't do a horror or violent movie and I wouldn't bring my kids to a G rated movie there.

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-03-2013 12:19 PM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Sam D. Chavez
Completely heartless and tasteless. The place should have been demolished and the site put to a different use
quote: Mike Peterson
It sickens me that they turned #9 into an extreme digital cinema. It almost seems like they are glorifying the massacre by making it state of the art. If Cinemark decided to keep the theatre operational, they should have closed the doors on #9 and run on the other 15 screens and maybe made #9 into a memorial.

Why and why? 100% disagree with both of you here. They didn't turn the WTC garage into a memorial when 6 people were killed in the 1993 bombing. They re-built and reopened the part of the Pentagon destroyed on 9/11. When a person or group of people is killed somewhere it doesn't make it off limits forever "out of respect" or fear of haunting or whatever.

A theatre is a business. They probably should have re-numbered or called it "Theatre A" or something. Inviting the families was a little odd but upgrading and reopening the auditorium is exactly what should have been done. Part of the anger by the families is due to lack of communication except through attorneys prior to this. I can't blame Cinemark for that. I don't know if suits have been filed against them but there is a huge risk of it.

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-03-2013 12:30 PM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure making a media circus out of the letter is doing a great deal for their "mental anguish." Kind of shows the true motive right there. Hey, look at me! Cinemark did not publicly invite them and make a show of it, they sent them a letter privately. Any response should have been handled the same way, privately.

Kerry Fleming
Film Handler

- posted 01-03-2013 12:38 PM      Profile for Kerry Fleming   Author's Homepage   Email Kerry Fleming   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They will never forget what happened there. Bring in the bulldozers. Tear it down. Replace it with anything but another movie theater. Ease the pain. Move on.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: