Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Chromebook vs. Netbook vs. Laptop

Author Topic: Chromebook vs. Netbook vs. Laptop
Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-17-2012 10:01 AM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I need some advice from the computer gurus out there.
My kids want computers for christmas. My daughter is going away to college next year, she'll need something for school. She currently has a laptop that is owned by her high school and she will have to give it back. Will she need the CD/DVD drive/burner that the laptop can offer? Does anything come in that format anymore besides movies?

My son is in the 6th grade and probably wants something more for gaming and as little homework as possible, and I figure if his school requires him to have a laptop, they will supply it and have restrictions to what he can do with it (same as my daughters), so I am thinking netbook for him.

I am unfamiliar with the Chromebook and was wondering what the pros and cons were, if anyone has used one. I use OpenOffice on my netbook, is this something that can be installed onto a Chromebook?

Just wondering what anyone's thoughts were. I want to keep the price about $300 each.

Any insight is appreciated, I need to get these ordered and shipped so they arrive before christmas.

Thanks again,
Rick

|  IP: Logged

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-17-2012 11:25 AM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chromebook uses a Linux based Operating System "Chrome OS"

You can use Google Docs with it to open up office documents. I am not sure, but I'd recommend using the newest version of "Libre Office" as my default Microsoft Office type of program (if it would let you load it).

I would recommend getting a new Dell Laptop and loading the latest version of Ubuntu on it. If you go to Dell's website, you can order a laptop with a Linux OS on it, or you can load one yourself.

You may want to check out System76's stuff (System76.com) or ZaReason's stuff (ZaReason.com) for more Linux laptops.

If you insist on a Windows 7 or Windows based system - get a Netbook and order an external CD/DVD burner (for about $25 bucks from Tiger Direct). It's cheaper and you will discover how much you do not need one as much as you thought.

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 12-17-2012 11:28 AM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A netbook will be very under-powered for games, and the keyboard on a netbook is too small to type on if you're over 6 years old. Having said that, I use mine every day, mostly for reading books, and I like it a lot. It lives under my ticket counter and I pull it out while the show is on.

Jeff Taylor
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-17-2012 01:22 PM      Profile for Jeff Taylor   Email Jeff Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm no computer expert, although I have laptops running on both Linux and Windows. Overall, I don't see enough price difference between an entry level laptop and the chrome/net books to justify the compromises--just my opinion. I always swore I'd never get anything but an Intel machine, and the one AMD I have works just fine. Good luck. PS: for reading books/watching Netflix, etc I use a Nook. Love it.

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-17-2012 02:54 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 11" or 13" MacBook Airs are fantastic machines for the price. Not sure how good of a gaming machine they are since I don't game, but for a starter machine it's wonderful. Now that they come with i5 processors, they are even better. I've got an 11" with a Core 2 Duo and it still does almost anything I need it to do.

AJG

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 12-17-2012 03:29 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Richard, it's all about the specific applications your daughter will absolutely need to run as well as others she may want to run. That's what dictates the hardware requirements AND the choice of computing platform. Any needs of sharing project files with teachers and other students will further reinforce the choice of applications and computer operating system.

Too often end users will just go buy whatever system they think will work and then hope any hardware or software they need to install on the system will work. One of our message center customers ran out and bought a new iMac without asking us if it would work as a host computer for his new "jumbotron." Yeah, it runs Windows natively via Parallels, but the message center software and radios still couldn't install. The message center company says by policy they can't provide technical support to such an installation either. So now the guy is going to buy a Windows-based notebook just for the message center and use the iMac for other office related things.

A decent quality Windows-based notebook loaded with MS Office Home & Student Edition will provide the best chance of being compatible with most classroom needs. You could take a chance with buying a Mac-based notebook and add MS Office to it, but you'll spend more money as well as deal with cross platform headaches over the differences between Mac and PC based MS Office files. Office Mac and MS Office for Windows are not the same.

Chromebooks for just for the basics. Web surfing, e-mail and very basic multi-media use. The software is in the cloud.

Netbooks are not built at all for gaming. Few notebooks are for that matter. It at least takes a decent Dell XPS notebook for passable gaming performance. For good frame rates you have to spend even more for something like an Alienware machine.

A Linux based notebook would be fine if one only had to run Linux-based open source software or Windows software that ran perfectly under emulation. I know I can't go that route. Just from the angle of using Adobe Creative Suite applications running them under emulation in Linux is an absolute non-starter. This especially goes for the newest CS6 apps. You'll have both 32-bit and 64-bit copies of certain apps. Some apps are multi-threaded. They have a complicated activation system. The Creative Cloud is constantly pushing new features, bug fixes, etc. Maybe the worst thing for a Linux-based Windows emulator: Adobe's Mercury Playback Engine. It's not only platform specific, but it also demands certain graphics chipsets and properly working drivers. Putting it simply, if you're going to run any Adobe Creative Suite apps you must run them natively in Windows on a PC or in OSX on a Mac. Don't try anything else.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 12-18-2012 07:13 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
A Linux based notebook would be fine if one only had to run Linux-based open source software or Windows software that ran perfectly under emulation.
I prefer working in Ubuntu, but, as Bobby points out, need to use a couple of Windows applications that don't work properly in WINE. My solution is a computer set up to dual boot: Windows and Ubuntu on separate partitions of the hard drive, and EasyBCD to configure the boot menu.

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 12-18-2012 10:23 AM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why not just handle the boot menu stuff with grub? Doesn't it come with Ubuntu? (I don't know -- while I've seen Ubuntu I have never really used it; I have always used Red Hat style distributions.)

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 12-18-2012 10:41 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You could do it that way - Ubuntu comes with Grub 2.0. Easy BCD gives you a more user-friendly menu, added to which you can specify no timeout on the Windows bootloader menu quite easily. Setting up the Grub menu as you want it means editing a configuration file manually - doable, but just not as quick and easy.

If you want to dual-boot XP and Ubuntu, though, Grub is your only option, because Easy BCD will only edit the Windows Vista and 7 bootloader. It won't work with XP or earlier.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 12-18-2012 12:51 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So now the guy is going to buy a Windows-based notebook just for the message center and use the iMac for other office related things.
I take it no one explained to him how to use bootcamp, as it would allow booting into a true installation of windows (as opposed to a virtualized one in parallels).

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 12-18-2012 05:57 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bootcamp would have been preferable, at least from our perspective. Still, our electronic message center vendor (Daktronics) still wouldn't offer technical support to such an installation. The Bootcamp method (putting Windows on its own, separate boot-able partition) would have had a much better chance of success in running the message center software.

My theory on why VMware Fusion and Parallels is so popular: the Windows "shell" doesn't hide the entire Mac interface. The end user can still run Mac-based stuff at the same time. Unfortunately, Windows has to run under emulation to allow this sort of thing. I suppose one upshot is that the stuff running under Windows might be a tad bit more secure since it is running under emulation and doesn't have full access to make calls to hardware as it would if Windows had been booted on its own separate partition.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 12-19-2012 01:26 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I suppose one upshot is that the stuff running under Windows might be a tad bit more secure since it is running under emulation and doesn't have full access to make calls to hardware as it would if Windows had been booted on its own separate partition.
Which is likely exactly why it doesn't work for this software (making full access calls to real hardware).

Scott Jentsch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-19-2012 11:24 AM      Profile for Scott Jentsch   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Jentsch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rick,

I think it will be difficult to find something that will fit your daughter's needs for $300, depending on what her course study will be when she goes to college. $300 gets you a very entry-level laptop that has been built to sell at an entry-level price. Unless her needs are very basic, I think $300 would be money poorly spent.

If she is going to be using the laptop on the go, weight is going to be a factor. The lighter the better. Unfortunately, slimming down a laptop usually means the price goes up. Think of the impact of putting a 5 pound laptop in a backpack with the other books she'll need for class.

I think you'll have an easier time finding something for your son for the $300 price point. His needs are probably going to be quite different, and weight probably won't be a huge factor for him.

I have an EeePC and while its small size is great, the keyboard is incredibly cramped. The screen is also quite small, so anything beyond very casual use (checking E-Mail, watching videos, light web browsing) is going to be difficult. You can hook up an external monitor, which helps. An external keyboard can be used, too, but then you wonder why you bought the small unit in the first place.

I looked at a Chromebook a month ago, and while its price is attractive, I think it's a very limited device and too much of a compromise to be useful. Since it runs a browser-based OS, if it can't be done in a browser, you're pretty much dead in the water. There are a few apps for the Chrome OS, but for the most part, you are going to have to rely on web-based apps, like Google Apps, for all functionality. I'm not even sure if it can be used if you don't have an Internet connection.

We're fast reaching a point where traditional laptops are needed less and less. Do they need a laptop, or would a tablet do the job better?

Office Depot had a Black Friday sale on the ASUS Transformer for $299, which a friend of mine purchased. He then picked up the keyboard portion for another $130 from somewhere. The combination of the portability and usefulness of a tablet along with the extended battery life and functionality of the detachable keyboard portion was a good fit for him. I think I saw a sale price recently of around $350, but I'm not sure where.

If the needs of your kids match the capabilities of something like the Google Nexus 7, ASUS Transformer, or iPad Mini/iPad 2, you've got something that could be quite useful for them for a variety of tasks, all at around $200-$320.

There are situations where tablets do not work (specific software needs, etc.), but tablets are looking forward while laptops are better suited to needs where certain software needs to be run or they're going to be doing involved work with video production, photography, etc.

You're running really short on time, but a refurbished iPad 2 is $319 from the Apple Store online. I think that's a great device at a great price. The iPad Mini retails for $329, so you can get that anywhere that has stock, and it's the same resolution as the iPad 2, but in a 7" form factor. The smaller screen can be a plus or a minus depending on the person, but a lot of people are finding that it's a nice mix of portability and size.

The Google Nexus 7 is cheaper at $200, but it's going to be a very different experience from the iPad. Whether that's good or bad depends on the person. Some people like that Android devices are more "open" but others hate the fact that the Android app market is so hit-and-miss compared to the Apple app market.

I think your son would be thrilled with the game choices available for the iPad. I don't have any awareness of how robust it is for the Android side of things, but I've heard complaints that many Android apps for the 7-inch form factor are relying on upsizing phone-sized apps instead of something intended for the 7" model's screen resolution (the iPad Mini is the same res as the iPad 2, so no problem there).

My guess is that your kids would be much happier with something like an iPad Mini or iPad 2 than they would with an entry-level laptop. iPads are more expensive than android-based counterparts, but they are built really well, and the ecosystem around them assures that almost any need can be supplied (even keyboards).

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-20-2012 10:56 AM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the info.

[url= http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+14%26%2334%3B+Laptop+-+4GB+Memory+-+320GB+Hard+Drive+-+Black/6999323.p?id=1218820264594&skuId=6999323&st=6999323&cp=1&lp=1#tab=specifications]This[/url] is what I got them. I figure if they don't like them the ex can return them. I went to best buy and paid for them there, but they ordered them online to be shipped to Maryland by the 24th. Free shipping and I get the reward points. Monday I paid the ex $500.00 in support and yesterday she mailed me a post dated check for $200.00 for her "share" of the gifts, so basically I pay for everything again [Roll Eyes] . Ah the life of an ex husband [beer]

Merry X-mas and happy jewish holiday that I can't spell,
Ol'Saint Rick

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: