Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Large-format printers

Author Topic: Large-format printers
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-21-2012 02:22 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've got a HP B8550 printer that makes really nice pictures, but the photo (4x6) tray on it recently bit the dust and I'm being driven crazy replacing inks in it. The ink carts aren't really expensive but they get used up mighty fast and they are tiny. I think it's ridiculous to make a "large format" printer (it handles up to 13x19 pages) but make the inks so small.

So I'm thinking of upgrading to a better, higher-capacity printer. I usually use it mostly to make signs with, but occasional pictures too.

I wish somebody made a printer that came with ink tanks of maybe a half-pint, and sold the ink in cans that you could buy and refill. I suppose that's asking too much, since they really make their money on the ink. So realizing this, I'd like to hear some recommendations on this type of printer. Anybody?

|  IP: Logged

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 11-21-2012 08:37 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For something with good ink capacity you could get something like this:
 -

The printer uses "eco-solvent" inks in 440cc cartridges. They last a pretty good while.
 -

While the printer does a great job, obviously the downside is cost. Not just for the printer, but for the "consumables" as well. The various types of large format vinyls are pricey. The eco-solvent ink cartridges aren't cheap either. And you'll need to throw in a good laminator which adds a few grand more to the price tag. However, if you can get people to buy what comes out of the printer then its all good.
[Razz]

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2012 04:28 PM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike, I have seen HP printers that have an aftermarket ink tank system that is connected to the print heads with hoses. Don't know much about them, though.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-21-2012 05:23 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bobby - the printer I have can do 13x19 which is big enough for me. Although I would seriously love to have one of those humongous machines ... aside from the cost, space is an issue too!

Ron Yost
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-22-2012 01:31 PM      Profile for Ron Yost   Email Ron Yost   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like my HP Officejet 7000 wide-format printer. It's been on sale recently for $129, but now seems to be back up to $199, at Staples anyway.

It's a YCM & Black machine, and the four separate 920XL carts last fairly well, too. And it will let you print 'till they're almost completely empty...i.e., streaks showing up. Though it issues a warning, both in the software toolbox and a light for each color cart on the printer.

The heads are in the printer, so it sometimes spends a bit of time creaking and groaning while cleaning the heads (and no doubt wasting a good bit of ink in the process) but I've had good luck with it. Good photo printing too, for four colors, IMO. Just made some 13 x 19's on HP's Advanced Photo Paper and they look really nice to me. [Smile]

There are no separate trays for different sized paper. All paper sits on the bottom input 'shelf' with a sliding bar to align paper to the right-hand edge. It's important to note that one must be sure the paper is pushed fully back into the printer. There's no 'pusher bar' in front to do this for you. This is something you only have to do on loading paper, or adding to the stack, tho. Also, the front edge of the stack leans backward at an about 20-degree angle when it's properly loaded. This took a bit of getting used to. [Smile]

No viewing screen or card slots, tho. It does have wired networking ability, but no Wi-Fi.

Scott Jentsch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-26-2012 11:04 AM      Profile for Scott Jentsch   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Jentsch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike,

I have the same printer (HP B8550) and I've been very happy with it. Thankfully, we haven't had any trouble with the photo tray, but we don't do much photo printing like we used to...

I've been happy with the printing we get from the 564XL ink cartridges, but I've got a feeling that would change if we did more photo printing. That's not a new phenomenon, as the trusty Epson 870 that we had before it would make great prints, but it would go through ink like nuts.

If you aren't already, look for the 564XL cartridges instead of the standard 564 carts. We can usually find them on Amazon for around $17-19 ($15-16 on sale every now and then), but Office Max is the best place to go when they are having a 20% bag sale.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 11-28-2012 05:07 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a encad cadjet e size plotter it is great if i need to plot out a drawing late at night

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: