Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Road trip down east coast on I-95 - suggest tourist stops (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Road trip down east coast on I-95 - suggest tourist stops
Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 11-11-2012 10:49 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hiya folks. My wife and I are planning a road trip from DE to Orlando next month and we're looking for tourist stops along the way. Historic stuff is great to suggest. For example, we're planning to hit Fort Sumter. We have been to Jamestown/Yorktown area before and a lot of the DC stuff. We're mainly looking for ideas south of DC. From Richmond on down, and not too far from 95 as we'd like to try to stay on course for the most part. So... any suggestions?

Thanks

|  IP: Logged

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 11-12-2012 02:29 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Williamsburg seemed nice when I was there, if you're into the whole "historic city" thing. Then again, my parents and I had moved away from NC 20 years ago come Thanksgiving so I assume things might've changed by now...

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 11-12-2012 06:37 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ft. McHenry near Baltimore is worth a stop--this is where F. S. Key wrote the National Anthem. They used to have a nice little movie (16mm at the time, maybe still?) and presentation there.

Not sure how much time you have, but Richmond is worth a visit, especially if you are interested in Civil War history.

Williamsburg is not on I-95; it's an hour detour each way (via I-64). Worth a visit if you have some time, but it won't be "on the way."

South of the Border is a giant tourist trap just across the SC border, but their billboards are at least entertaining.

Charleston is worth some time, but stay away in the spring and summer...the heat there is brutal.

Joe Elliott
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-12-2012 06:43 AM      Profile for Joe Elliott   Email Joe Elliott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's St. Augustine. It is the first continuously occupied city in the US. Near the Fort there is a shopping district that is an original cobblestone street. It is too narrow for vehicles, so you walk through. There is of course two forts in that area, Castillo de San Marcos, right in town, and the Mantazas, south of town. If your in to ghosts, both the St. Augustine lighthouse and Castillo de San Marcos have been investigated by Ghosthunters TV show, and the lighthouse in particular they have said is one of their favorite locations in the US.

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-12-2012 12:24 PM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Savannah GA is right on I-95 and worth a visit. Interesting river front historic area and creepy old cemetery nearby. "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil" (1997) was filmed there; so if you've seen the film you can kind of get a flavor for the place.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 11-12-2012 12:39 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Depending on what you mean by Touristy. I say get off 95 and take US 1 or 13/17 or even 301 out of Richmond, much more interesting and more to see. You can get back on 95 after dark and make up some time if that is a consideration, but 95 itself is a snooze and everything looks like everywhere else in the country.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 11-13-2012 05:58 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is always a great place to go for information from around the country. This is cool info, guys. You've given me some stuff to think about. Thanks!

Matthew Ortado
Film Handler

- posted 11-13-2012 06:46 AM      Profile for Matthew Ortado   Email Matthew Ortado   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The B&O Railroad museum in Baltimore is five minutes off of 95.

Jake Spell
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-13-2012 10:40 AM      Profile for Jake Spell   Email Jake Spell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As someone who lives in Charleston I can tell you that its going to be chilly at Fort Sumter since its in the middle of the harbor. How long do you have for said tourist stops?

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 11-13-2012 11:22 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The National Museum of the Marine Corps is just off I-95 in Quantico, VA. Get off at Joplin Road, VA secondary route 619 (Exit 150). Drive south 1 block to the US-1 intersection. Hang a right on US-1 southbound for a short distance and you're there.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 11-15-2012 09:25 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jake, I'm not sure how long we have to stop, but I'm glad you mentioned how cold we can expect it to be at Sumter.

Jake Spell
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-15-2012 09:31 PM      Profile for Jake Spell   Email Jake Spell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sure thing, PM me if you have any other questions about the city. WHile here make sure you go over the Arthur Ravenel Jr Bridge (US 17). Its the longest cable stayed bridge in North America and if you want you can even walk/bike it. It shouldn't be too crowded here since that's well outside the tourist season.

Tony Gallimore
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-17-2012 11:26 PM      Profile for Tony Gallimore   Email Tony Gallimore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, If you didn't stop by Mount Vernon your last trip around DC, it would make for an interesting afternoon. Jefferson was quite an interesting gentleman. Charleston, SC is pretty neat if you're into history, plantations etc. Plan on a few days there though, to take a few tours and get the whole picture. Yeah, Fort Sumpter might be a little chilly, but it'll be worth it! Happy travels!

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 11-18-2012 09:44 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, Tony. Thanks. Mount Vernon was Washington's place. I agree it is a great place to visit, and we go there a couple of times a year. We did the "National Treasure" tour there under the mansion, and we try to do the candle light tour at Christmas time every year which is really nice too.

Jefferson's house is Monticello, which is also really nice. We've also been to Poplar Forest - which is Jefferson's retreat - I think it's in Virginia. Also a nice stop.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 11-19-2012 01:32 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Martin McCaffery
I say get off 95 and take US 1 or 13/17 or even 301 out of Richmond, much more interesting and more to see.
Not only that, in Florida it's where all the crazy people drive out of the asylum drive. And THOSE people do not understand the speed limit. People there going at 95mph while tailgating AND zooming across lanes willy nilly and without signaling. I drive in NYC -- I don't think I am a wussy driver, in fact I am fairly aggressive, but in Florida, I was a cowering sissy boy. I was driving 5-10 miles over the speed limit and EVERYONE is passing me. I look in the rear view mirror to see cars ZOOMING up to within half a cars length and tail me like that. Incredible.

Stay safe, see the more scenic routes as Martin suggests, and stay the eff of I95. If you think I am exagerating, even the Floridians warned me about taking 95. In all my driving years, I have seen exactly two fatalities where I drove by an accident and saw people actually dead on the ground. In only two weeks in Florida going back and forth from Port St. Lucie and Fort Lauderdale, I saw THREE fatalities, one were I saw a severed leg on the road 20 feet from the rest of the poor soul. I could barely keep driving. That's all the stats I need.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: