Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » NPR "The Waning Art of the Projectionist" (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: NPR "The Waning Art of the Projectionist"
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-11-2012 09:23 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some very cool pictures and a short article

And just the picture gallery

Nice little article and some good pictures. Projection booths with character. There are two pics in the article and you can click thru them without having to go to the second link.

Sure wish we could archive these pictures in the warehouse (well I guess we COULD, but the photog might get mad).

|  IP: Logged

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-12-2012 12:51 PM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I followed both links and found that the second one contains more photos presented as gallery art. Joseph Holmes displays his artistry in his sense of color, composition, lighting and the posing of his subjects to create a wistful sense of nostalgia,
In the left column of his Gallery site, he lists links to his other portfolios. I'm happy that a sensitive artist finds our craft, ourselves and our humble workplaces the subject of his art, presented in gallery form for for all to enjoy.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 11-12-2012 02:56 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
These photos bring back (bad) memories of the booths I started working in. They were dingy, dirty booths at a multiplex we nicknamed "The Bunker" because it was just so shabby. I could never work as a projectionist in that kind of environment again.

As usual, though, I fully expect that the die-hard film enthusiasts will find themselves in love with the "warmth," "charm," or "personality" of these booths.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-12-2012 06:43 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I'm not a die-hard film enthusiast but I still think those pictures are warm, charming and filled with personality.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 11-12-2012 07:09 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Might have to post some picts of booths that I've worked in in my 40 plus years in the industry..

I've worked in booths were the floor was wooden, and had keep an eye on keeping the machines level since they would settle on a continual basis. When I started there, the picture on the screen actually had a list (left and right had their own list), and I leveled both machines where the picture was square on the screen. The owner didn't even notice the listing, but it really bothered me. We didn't even have a rewind machine. Had to rewind the reels on the reelcranks on the bench. those SuperSimplex were in real bad condition with bad hooking INT sprockets. We did get two new sprockets in and I rebuilt both assemblies since the Super INT used taper pins for sprocket replacement.

One was a decent sized house with the most dirtist booth around. Didn't take me long to clean that booth up, painted it and we knocked the one common wall out that went to the ajoining storage room to make a personal viewing room. We repainted and laid down new carpet in that room where it was a nice private screening room. I even added a good speaker above the window for our sound. The owner/manager of that location was pleased with the results that I did in this conversion (had his permission to do this..) and he would invite guests with him to watch movies while I ran the booth containing Strong Moguls, Simplex E-7's and Westrex 206 soundheads.

The most elaborate booth I've ever seen was at the now gone Centre Theatre downtown SLC. A large room with Dolby units and amplifiers on the back wall with two Bauer U2's with STRONG Futura II's 13.6mm carbon arc units behind them. To the left of No.1 Bauer was the film workbench and storage bins for the reels.

To the right of No. 2 Bauer, was an actual sunken living room, fully carpeted with two sofas, pole reading lamps, end tables, coffee table, console TV set and a full kitchen set on the same floor level as the machines in the corner of this living room area. The bathroom, off to the side was a 3/4 bath with full shower.

Obviously, this was an union booth were the operators were definitely assigned to remain upstairs at the entire time for their shift. This booth was immaculately clean and in perfect condition.

My booth where I was Chief Projectionist, was also fully carpeted (I kept this booth clean like my living room in my house), had two overstuffed padded arm chairs and fully contained, but had a hotplate and small fridge for lunch making. But, I also had the comfort of having "room service"-I would get on the 'intercom' to call up the concessions and had food/snacks delivered up to the booth since I wasn't allowed to leave the booth while on shift.

Fun days those were ..... - Monte

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 11-12-2012 07:14 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't care for the photographer's style. He's obviously a big fan of people being in his images, but each image a person was in was far less interesting than the ones they weren't in. This is probably because most were just sitting there like dumbasses having absolutely nothing to do with anything. Kind of like placing a flower in the middle of the booth, taking a picture and then calling it "art". No artistic skill required.

Brian Rene Pattison
Film Handler

- posted 11-12-2012 07:24 PM      Profile for Brian Rene Pattison   Email Brian Rene Pattison   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to admit that I miss the days of working an old single screen. The ones I miss the most are the Mt. Clemens Drive In, and the Capri. The Capri was a horrid old booth, poor exhust (I smelled like I was a pack a day smoker when the shift was over), Motiograph AA's, Brenkert Enarc lamps, and a simplex sound system that only had the bass working. This was fine as it was a triple x in the early 80's. What I miss the most was the actual craft involved, manual change overs and trimming carbons. Later spending 14 years in management at multiplexes with platters I found that I missed performing the craft of being a projectionist. I would still like to do that kind of theater work today as opposed to threading it up, pushing a button, and walking away for two hours.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 11-12-2012 09:52 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm kind of with Manny as far as not really wanting to work in grungy booths any more, but is there anyone here who hasn't worked in such a place at one point, and is now a better operator as a result of that experience?

Anyway, for me, there is a difference between "dirty" (ugh) and cluttered/disorganized booths. The latter is not really a problem (and can be good if the part that you need is somewhere in the junk pile), but dirty booths are just death to film in most cases.

My current pet peeve is projection booths which lack an adequate stock of spare parts (which, for me, is fairly extensive). I realize that this stuff costs money while sitting on the shelf and not generating revenue, but having the right parts on hand to save a show is extremely critical. No one wants to tell the audience to go home and come back the next day, nor should this ever be necessary due to equipment failures.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-13-2012 12:30 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Scott Norwood
Anyway, for me, there is a difference between "dirty" (ugh) and cluttered/disorganized booths.
True. Our booth was always grungy, but it's always pretty clean. All the money goes into the stuff people can see, so that's why the booth has the "on sale" paint and the concrete floor! [Big Grin]

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-13-2012 02:06 AM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did not see one picture of the guys who pioneered this field: the two projector, change-over operators. My father started with a hand-cranked projector suspended from the ceiling in a 6x8 "sweatbox" in 1916. He moved to the two projector system when they motorized projectors. I followed in his footsteps in 1950 and moved to platters in 2004.

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-13-2012 10:06 AM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe, you complain that most of the gallery pictures show the projectionists just sitting. But for my first decade as operator (1970-1980) most of my time in 3-projector, single screen booths was coping with boredom, and even in my latter years (I retired in 1994) when working singles.

Besides reading books, newspapers and magazines, I wove a purse for my daughter, painted the booth, repaired appliances, etc.
Other operators did water color and oil painting, macrame, sewing and hobby crafts.

Now it seems that intervals between changeovers, after tending to focus, carbon arcs, cleaning and lubricating the machines,
makeup and breakdown of shows and eating meals, would leave zero time for sitting, but in fact those intervals seemed leisurely at the time. To keep from climbing walls, I made chains from heavy gauge generator wire with a hack saw and vise,
which still support my bird feeders today. When I "upgraded" to
working a 14-plex alone, (replacement shifts) the relativity of time shifted somewhat, and I donned rollerskates.

So I feel showing projectionists in repose captures one essential aspect of life as it used to be lived
by some projectionists.

Mark Ogden
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-13-2012 02:20 PM      Profile for Mark Ogden   Email Mark Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Boy, you hit it on the head Gerald. My many years in the booth were spent in changeover single screeners and 3 and 4 plexs. Got a great deal done between reel changes, including taking a correspondence course from Cleveland Institute of Electronics, building the occasional HeathKit and catching up on my reading. Went off the screen exactly once in all that time (which was one too many times, but still not bad for 14 years).

I enjoyed these pictures, but they reminded me of an old pet peeve: I always disliked working in booths where the walls were covered in old one-sheets and lobby cards, especially in older theaters. I know that's a big decorating motif with some guys, try to turn the booth into a personal rec room, but it always thought that more than one or two was shoddy looking. This one guy used to shellac them to the rear blow-out wall in his booth, they must have been a half-inch deep at one point. This was long into the safety-film era, but I still thought it was a fire hazard.

Edward Havens
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-13-2012 02:38 PM      Profile for Edward Havens   Email Edward Havens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't mind clutter as long as it's clean, well-organized clutter.

I just feel bad for the projectionists who have to work with such antiquated equipment like that Strong automation box in Picture 16. I still have nightmares about that effing blue piece of shiite.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 11-13-2012 03:04 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Umm...you do realize that there are theatres that still do not have any automation at all...right?

I find the suggestion that a fairly modern automation system could be "antiquated" to be rather amusing, actually. The product may indeed suck (I haven't worked with it), but it is not antiquated.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-13-2012 03:08 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Clutter vs organization is in the eye of the beholder. My office is cluttered; to anyone else it looks like Hurricane Sandy just went through, but I know exactly where everything is in there.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: