Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » New type of e-mail spam? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: New type of e-mail spam?
Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 11-10-2012 01:55 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been getting lots of e-mails from fellow Film-Tech members lately. Well, except that they're not actually sending them to me. Almost twice a week I'll get an e-mail from Monte Fullmer, Cameron Glendinning, John Wilson or someone else marked <no subject>. Inside it will say something to the effect of For Joe and then provide a link which, of course, I don't click on because I trust these people would write more than just "For Joe". Sometimes it's just a link. I'm not sure if these guys have my e-mail address or not, but they are all friends of mine on Facebook. However I haven't gotten any e-mails like these from other non Film-Tech members I am friends with on Facebook. The return e-mail addresses aren't from the real deal. Example:

-

This corrupts my contacts. For example, if I were to e-mail the real John Wilson, 3 possible e-mail addresses come up and I have no idea which one is correct (though I'm pretty sure it's not vasqueztimothy1979).

Any idea what might be causing this? I can't whitelist or blacklist e-mail addresses so that option's out.

|  IP: Logged

Matthew McBride
Film Handler

- posted 11-10-2012 02:40 PM      Profile for Matthew McBride   Email Matthew McBride   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't provide must insight on a solution, but I can tell it happens also outside of film-tech contacts. During my spring semester of teaching last year I got emails from my former students from the previous fall semester in a similar manner to yours Joe where it offers some random link. Though what was slightly different was some of their email addresses were their university related ones. Since they have emailed me, then their in my "contacts" so to speak. So maybe it's some kind of bot that figures out frequent emails from the same people?

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-10-2012 02:52 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So does this mean the "Contacts" portion of your e-mail program go by the individuals names? I would think that it would filter by actual e-mail address. Is there a setting that you can checkbox to tell it to filter by the actual e-mail address instead of the person's 'name' field?

Just so you know - my e-mail address, while not looking the part, is through G-Mail. What you describe in your post happens to me, but they have been going to my spam box instead of my regular e-mail inbox.

Sean Weitzel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-10-2012 04:20 PM      Profile for Sean Weitzel   Email Sean Weitzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe it's a bot skimming your facebook friends list for the names. It's been happening to me as well. The only mailbox where I get the spams is the account tied to Facebook and the made up names are only names in my friends list, never anything outside.

[Edit I did a google search - oh looky here]:
http://allfacebook.com/spam-from-friends_b99134
http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidewalt/2012/08/29/facebook-spam-email-spear-phishing/
http://news.cnet.com/8301-1009_3-57507648-83/spam-from-friends-is-actually-result-of-facebook-hole/
http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/technolog/facebook-security-hole-blame-spam-attack-985104

Hillary Charles
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-10-2012 05:07 PM      Profile for Hillary Charles   Email Hillary Charles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is definitely through facebook. Unless Michael Nesmith really wrote to me. I deleted it, so I'll never know...

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 11-10-2012 05:36 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Nez is a Facebook "friend" of yours? Cool

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 11-10-2012 05:53 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Sean Weitzel
I believe it's a bot skimming your facebook friends list for the names.
I'm pretty sure you're right.
I don't use Facebook very much. When I do, my account isn't my real name or anything resembling it. The e-mail address linked to that account is my special "spam account" that I only use for places like Facebook or other websites that I know are likely to be hit by spambots.

When I get spam e-mails like this, it usually only comes to my spam account. It usually only comes addressed to my fake name. It often only contains one or two lines of text followed by a link to some file or website with a funky name.

I rarely ever actually see these e-mails because I have the threshold on my spam filter set very low for this account.
I haven't looked at the spam rules for that account lately but I seem to remember that any message that contains any kind of a link is automatically spam.

I never expect to receive links or files on that account. If I want to receive a link or file from somebody I'll give them an address to do that.

That reminds me... It's been a while since I checked on my spam filters and junk boxes. I should probably do that sometime soon.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 11-10-2012 06:50 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This all seems logical to me and I figured there was a Facebook connection. However I don't think I've ever received a real e-mail from Monte or Cameron. I just hope that nobody's getting e-mails from "me". My e-mail address isn't visible on Facebook so how is it getting that? Or is Facebook simply letting it happen?

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 11-10-2012 11:33 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Someone has your email address (and name) then looked your name up on facebook and then I presume the list of your friends is available at that point even if they aren't your friend on fb.

Sean Weitzel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-11-2012 11:02 AM      Profile for Sean Weitzel   Email Sean Weitzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The links I posted reveal that facebook accidentally opened up a hole somewhere in their configuration that allowed spammers to collect lists of friends names. They fixed it, but the spammers already had the data.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 11-11-2012 07:47 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just another of about a thousand reasons to hate facebook. And Sean, you think this was an accident? Facebook sells data...your data....your mama's data, and if your grandma was on facebook, they'd sell her information too. Facebook is a digital pimp. The rules facebook puts in place when they sell your data to third parties are suppose to prevent the buyers of that information from using it in certain ways, mostly to prevent you from finding out that your ass has been pimped and sold to the highest bidder. Look at their privacy policy, and then realize 90% is double-talk and lies.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-11-2012 08:45 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I get the feeling this is mostly due to something that Joe inadvertently DID on Facebook, rather than Facebook itself. I hear a lot about people having problems with their info getting hacked or their page getting hijacked or whatever. I've never had a problem like that, but I wonder if it's just me being lucky, or is it because I don't play any games, click any links (except pictures of people I know), etc. on Facebook.

I do think Facebook should have mechanisms in place to prevent this kind of crap, but anything they put in place, the jerk-offs will find a way around it.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 11-12-2012 02:26 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Frank Angel
And Sean, you think this was an accident? Facebook sells data...your data....your mama's data, and if your grandma was on facebook, they'd sell her information too.
Non-sequitur. The data in question wasn't bought. Facebook got no money and ensured that the hole that was used was patched...

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 11-12-2012 02:52 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
True, I don't run or accept any apps in FB, for the message at the beginning of each app or invite mentions of gathering your info.

No, never sent Joe an email...bet, it's a 'bot doing its thing.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 11-12-2012 03:29 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't "do" anything on Facebook other than post and read comments. Sometimes pictures and links. I have no apps tied to the account. When I click on someone else's link that requires an app (usually some sort of social reader nonsense), I don't bother and then complain to the person who posted the link. I reject all invites.

I wonder if it has something to do with the Cinematour Facebook page since only film people are being used to spoof e-mails.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: