Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Need advice for resume, Technical

Author Topic: Need advice for resume, Technical
Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-29-2012 10:15 AM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think I've written one resume about 15 years ago. I want to get back to work and need something on paper. I've been hired pretty much by word of mouth, followed by an interview. I have no real experience with digital, it's all been 35 and 70 MM. Sound classes have been Dolby, Peavey Media Matrix, and Synergetic Audio Concepts. I had 25 years right out of high school in the field and then had to take the last couple years off.

Here are some of the installs I did. On a resume, do I list them all, or just say I'm a theater tech?

American Museum of Natural History
Bibliotheca Library
U.S.S. Lexington
E.M.P.
Thessalonikki Science Center
Glasgow Science Theater
St. Felicien
Killeen
Chabot
China Movie Wonderland
Hastings Musuem
Jordan Commons
Cinemex Mexico City
Muvico Orlando Pointe
Showplace Evansville
Kerasotes

The other places I serviced were
Minolta screening room in Tokyo
Pacific Title screening room

The list goes on.

Any advice would be appreciated. Even if I don't end up working in the biz, I still need a resume. It's time I got off my ass.(no ones posting on Film-tech anymore, I'm bored)
[Razz] . I just need a template or something to go by.

Thanks,
Rick

|  IP: Logged

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 10-29-2012 10:34 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would list them in a single paragraph, details upon request.

You are clearly willing to travel, a bullet-point for you.

If you have the means and are young enough, get educated: college degree. You will always lose out to some dumb-ass with a degree. (I speak from experience; I got jobs that I shouldn't have because of my English degree!!!) Louis

Melanie Loggins
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-29-2012 10:39 AM      Profile for Melanie Loggins   Author's Homepage   Email Melanie Loggins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would suggest not listing them all. Count them and put how many you've done, especially if you were called back for more work or consultation (because that means they liked you and trusted you to call you again). And think specifically about what you had to do to do these installations; don't just say "installed equipment" because that sounds like you carried it upstairs and plugged it in. Think about all the important steps, the places where it could have gotten screwed up, and list those. And your education is important. List every class with dates and places.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 10-29-2012 10:46 AM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've not done a resume in about the same amount of time, so take this advice with the appropriate amount of salt. My understanding is most jobs now take electronic resumes, so start checking out the various hiring and social sites (i.e.: linkedin).

You don't tell us what you WANT to be hired for, but that is what an employer (or the computer algorithm) is looking for. Do you want to be an in house tech? Installer for hire? etc. Figure out what you want and mold your resume around that, while still being flexible enough to take a similar job you may not even know exists.

Of course, being willing to train, or getting yourself trained, in digital is going to be a must in this biz. One hopes the employer will pay for it, but you can't be sure.

Good luck.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 10-29-2012 01:51 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No Novels accepted.

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-29-2012 02:38 PM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Try and keep it to one page unless you have an advanced degree. Also stress any leadership or managerial experience you have. Containing cost could also be worked in if appropriate. Good Luck.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: