Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Cinema shows Paranormal Activity instead of Madagascar 3 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Cinema shows Paranormal Activity instead of Madagascar 3
Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-24-2012 01:26 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cinema shows Paranormal Activity instead of Madagascar 2

quote: yahoo news

A cinema full of children waiting to see 'Madagascar 3' were shown supernatural horror film 'Paranormal Activity 4' by accident.

Shocked families at Nottingham's Cineworld had to rush their children out of the auditorium as they realised that the wrong film was being projected.

But not before a scene at the very start of the film - featuring a bloodied female corpse being thrown at the camera – upset children as young as five, among around 25 families watching.

Natasha Lewis of Bulwell in Nottingham, who took her eight-year-old son Dylan to the screening, said: “They started playing the movie and I thought - this doesn't look right. And then I recognised the opening sequence as a flash back to the first movie, which I saw a couple of years ago.

“It opens on the most terrifying scene in the first film - where a body shoots full pelt towards the camera. It's enough to make grown men jump, so you can imagine the terror in these young faces.

“Everybody just scrambled for the exits, all you could hear were children crying and screaming. Everyone was very upset.

“I've watched a few horror films in my time but the 'Paranormal Activity' films are the scariest since 'The Exorcist'.

“It was only about two minutes worth of the film but it was enough to scar them for life. There were parents and kids in there, including some children who were younger than Dylan.

“The cinema needs to check the film before sending everyone in so they don't make this mistake again. I'm disgusted about it, mistakes like this simply should not happen.”

A spokesperson for Cineworld said: “We have investigated the incident and can confirm that this was a technical error with the projector and apologise sincerely to the families.

“All customers who were affected by the incident were offered refunds and complimentary tickets. We also invited customers to watch the screening of Madagascar 3 half an hour later.

“We take matters such as this very seriously and are currently working with technicians to ensure this does not happen again.”

> We have investigated the incident and can confirm that this was a technical error with the projector

I was not there, nor do I have any knowledge of what server they were using, or if it was 35mm, but I think it unlikely that that the projector decided to run the wrong movie by itself. I suspect "technical error" was really "human incompetence".

|  IP: Logged

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 10-24-2012 01:34 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Projector Has Been Drinking?

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-24-2012 01:41 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
now that'd a great promotional video for the next 'Paranormal Activity' movie - the shot of all those children screaming and crying... [Wink]

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 10-24-2012 02:46 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the operators at that theater are in the habit of copying an existing playlist then editing it to play the desired feature they could have messed it up, that way.

We do this at the TREC center because there are several cues that need to be put in the right places to make the show play smoothly:
Format switch, sound/volume cue, house light cue, dowser cue, etc. It's a lot easier to do it this way instead of trying to remember all those things.

For instance, I'll duplicate the playlist for "Meerkats" then delete the feature and substitute the file for "Lewis and Clark."

All I have to do, then, is to rename the playlist to "Lewis & Clark" and reposition the lighting cue at the credits.

Now, if the doofus who programmed the show didn't edit his playlist correctly, he would have played the wrong movie when he thought he was selecting the right show.

We only have one projector and one server but, if this was done in a multiplex where many projectors are being operated via a network, it would be very easy to make such a programming mistake.

It would only be natural for somebody who is trying to cover his ass to make this mistake then claim it was a "technical problem." [Roll Eyes]

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 10-24-2012 02:52 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well,"technically", he showed the wrong movie [Wink]

Buck Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-24-2012 04:49 PM      Profile for Buck Wilson   Email Buck Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Scarred for life"? Please. Most of them have probably seen worse.

Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-24-2012 05:43 PM      Profile for Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Email Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's inexcusable but I'm sure most of us have had this situation happen to us, or more likely noticed before the audience did and sorted it out. Still an awful situation to have to deal with both at cinema level and in head office for the marketing/pr guys. Also in the UK people love to get involved and kick you when you're down which makes it worse. The 'projector error' comment isn't great but probably only looks like an excuse if you're in the industry.

Cineworld Nottingham is a good cinema, in a great location, believe there was someone who posted on here who worked there. When I went it was rammed but they'd still kept high standards of cleanliness and service, and my screen was huge.

The show will have been in digital, my knowledge is limited but it sounds like the feature file was copied erroneously otherwise the audience would have been alerted to a problem by the adverts for alcohol and 15-rated horror film trailers before the feature.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-24-2012 07:26 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Randy Stankey
If the operators at that theater are in the habit of copying an existing playlist then editing it to play the desired feature they could have messed it up, that way.

To avoid this problem I have 2-D and 3-D "templates" for flat and scope. So rather than copying an existing movie's playlist I just copy the template with the name of the incoming movie. That way all my cues are in place. The only one that needs to be added is the "lights mid" at the start of the credits.

I agree that the whole "scarred for life" thing is ridiculous. No kid ever got scarred for life at a movie theatre. (Except the ones at Aurora, I guess.) Parents need to give their kids some credit for resilience.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 10-24-2012 09:50 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You just make an empty playlist with 5 sec. of black at the beginning and at the end? I'll have to remember to do that.

We only have one movie on digital and two on 70mm. We play them in rotation. At the end of the month, we drop "Volcanoes Under the Sea" (70mm) and add "Lewis & Clark." (digital) In a couple of more weeks we'll add "Dinosaurs Alive" (70mm) and we'll end up with two movies on film and two on digital.

We don't change movies every week like regular theaters so managing playlists isn't as much a priority. We have to keep the movies under 50 minutes apiece so we don't show many trailers, either.

Once we set a playlist, it will stay like that for a couple-three months.

Oh, you want "scarred for life?"
When I was about 10 or 11 years old, my dad used to take us to the movies. He just wanted to go out drinking so he'd just dump us off at the theater and come back two hours later.
We'd watch movies like "The Omen" and "Alien." The manager used to just shake his head. Us kids thought it was great!

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-25-2012 01:31 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So we've been hearing a lot of these kinds of stories lately. Since the digital takeover you'd think this as the first time multiple movies shared an auditorium and the wrong movie was started. But I guarantee there were probably thousands of times or more that the wrong 35mm movie was threaded up and started. So why are the wrong digital ones getting all of the press?

quote:
“I've watched a few horror films in my time but the 'Paranormal Activity' films are the scariest since 'The Exorcist'.
Sounds like a marketing stunt to me.

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-25-2012 05:42 AM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Happy Halloween [evil]

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 10-25-2012 07:39 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Redifer
So why are the wrong digital ones getting all of the press?
Because film is hard to use and always gets scratched but digital is supposed to happen as if by magic and it's supposed to be perfect all the time.

That's what everybody was telling us when they convinced theater owners to change to digital video projectors. Now people are upset because they suddenly realize that somebody in Hollywood has been lying to them all this time.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 10-25-2012 08:37 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With digital...everything is MUCH more automated with some boasting complete automation. As such, most are not really checking things because, quite frankly, it works 99.9% of the time.

Note, the news rarely if ever reports things that go right in the world...that isn't really news...they report the problems.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 10-25-2012 08:58 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would also say that the change to digital has served to remove almost all experienced operators from the booth.

We have people who think they know how to use computers because they they can push a mouse across a desk. Now, we're letting these very same people operate the computers that make the movies in theaters.

These people are usually "managers" who are busy taking care of the zillion other jobs they have to do but they are, now, in charge of projection on top of all the other crap they have to do.

Putting overworked, barely-competent people in charge of millions of dollars worth of high-tech equipment is usually a recipe for disaster.

Hollywood glosses it all over with the promise of "digital perfection" but, in reality, it just isn't true. Then, the media types, who are always eager to jump on the digital hype bandwagon see a little crack in the patina and, as Steve says, love to smear negative gossip all over the news because it makes money.

"We all know that crap is king! Give us dirty laundry!"

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-25-2012 11:12 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Randy Stankey
You just make an empty playlist with 5 sec. of black at the beginning and at the end? I'll have to remember to do that.
Well it's not "empty," it has the startup cues, followed by the "previews of coming attractions" clip, the "turn off your cell phone" clip (with "lights down" cue, the "Dolby" clip, then a 5-second MOS for a slight pause before the feature starts. Then a "Non-sync" and "lights up" cues at the end.

So all I need to do is rename it, drop in the trailers and feature, put in the lights-mid cue on the feature and it's done.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: