Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Theatres that can display multiple formats...

Author Topic: Theatres that can display multiple formats...
Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-31-2012 12:31 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With the installation of a 4K digital projector, the Wexner Center of the Arts (Columbus, OH), can show 8mm, 16mm, 35mm, 70mm, HDCam, and 2k/4k digital.

Are that other facilities that can display just about anything out there? The only place I know of that can display more formats is Pictureville (Bradford) which can also run Imax and 3-strip Cinerama. Manny's cinema at Indiana U is pretty close but I don't think it has 70mm.

|  IP: Logged

Jock Blakley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-31-2012 07:06 PM      Profile for Jock Blakley   Email Jock Blakley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Astor in Melbourne can show 35mm (in silent, Academy, and 1.66 as well as the usual two), 70mm in Dolby and DTS, 2K/4K, as well as Digial Betacam and DVD/Blu-Ray.

We did have 16mm capacity but unfortunately had to remove it to fit the digital projector in.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 08-31-2012 11:32 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Lensenmayer
With the installation of a 4K digital projector, the Wexner Center of the Arts (Columbus, OH), can show 8mm, 16mm, 35mm, 70mm, HDCam, and 2k/4k digital.
With the possible exception of 8mm, the Egyptian in Hollywood can do all of those, too.

Another must-see venue is the Dryden Theater at George Eastman House in Rochester, NY - it is one of very few screening venues left in the world that is fully certified to show nitrate prints, and does so, regularly. The National Film Theatre on London's South Bank used to be able to, but the last I knew were no longer doing so.

Our own theatre at the University of Leeds can do:

Super 8, magnetic and optical (Elmo GS1200 xenon - picture around 6 feet by 4 with just about acceptable illumination).

We are able to borrow an MWA-Nova Flashscan telecine to screen standard 8, super 8 or 9.5 electronically if needed, and have done this for a few experimental filmmakers' shows.

16, with optical and magnetic (Eiki 'Elf Lite' xenon). We also have an anamorphic lens for 16 scope if needed, but do not have sepmag facilities, sadly. Haven't had any call for them so far, though.

35mm on a changeover installation in the following ratios: full-frame silent at any speed from 10-30fps with three-blade shutters, 1.15:1 (Movietone), 1.37, 1.66, 1.77 (Super 16 blowup), 1.85 and 'scope. We use the same lenses for Movietone and the 'scope backing lenses, but with different aperture plates. Sound wise we have a CP-650 and thus can play anything Dolby, but no DTS or SDDS. Red LED illumination makes some older optical formats on silver redeveloped tracks seriously harsh and noisy - in particular, variable density and unilateral RCA Photophone don't sound good at all. If I ever get the time, I'd like to experiment with a penthouse type white light reader and some sort of sync delay to get round that problem, but given the sort of stuff we show, it's low priority.

Sanyo PDG-DHT100L single-chip DLP projector (1920x1080) for digital stuff, with DVD, BD and pretty much any SD video format you care to mention possible(OK, 2" Quad may be a bit of a challenge, but apart from that...). We don't have decks for everything permanently installed in the booth, but can rustle them up from elsewhere on campus easily enough.

No true d-cinema projector or DCP server as yet, though in the last year I have had conference and special event organisers approach me once or twice asking if we can screen DCPs, and so will be lobbying for the powers that be to get their cheque books out in the next few months. Dunno where we'd put a projector, though, except in the space where the 16 and Super 8 projectors are currently used (our current Sanyo is hung from the ceiling of the booth). That would be a problem, because both are used surprisingly regularly. In particular, 16 seems to be making a sustained comeback among arty and experimental types.

While we're somewhat behind the times on the digital stakes and cannot do 70 at all (with our screen size and being so close to Bradford, there's really no point), I suspect that our venue is one of very few in Britain that can show the full frame silent ratio with no cropping, a properly centred and masked picture, acceptable screen brightness, no visible flicker, even as low as 12-13fps (so if we ever do a D.W. Griffith festival, we're all set!) and no risk of heat damage to prints.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: