Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Which Wi-Fi access point has the best range? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Which Wi-Fi access point has the best range?
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-29-2012 01:10 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been pretty impressed with the Apple Airport Extreme in terms of range (their setup software is iHorrible), and I am testing a Cisco EA4500 because I've been told it outperforms the Airport Extreme in terms of range (their wizard setup software is bad too, but they have a nice browser GUI unlike the Apple).

I don't need a "router", of which both of these have. All I am really looking for is an access point with really good range. It seems the only way to get a really strong signal though is on the router models though.

Anyone have first hand experience?

|  IP: Logged

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 07-29-2012 01:22 AM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's very easy to use a router as a WAP. You just turn off everything in the router's setup except for the wireless connection stuff and give it an address on your network.

You'll also pay less for a router to use as a WAP than you'll pay for a stand-alone WAP, simply based on the volume of those things that they sell. And they're easier to replace when they quit, too. Just zip down to your local Staples (or whatever), where a stand-alone WAP is usually a special order item.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 07-29-2012 03:04 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you considered multiple "meshable" access points?

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 07-29-2012 04:22 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not all home type wireless routers can be used as access points, though most of them can.

Brad, what type of building do you want to use this in? Are you trying to get a long distance, or just to get a moderate distance in a 'difficult' building? If the latter then Scott's suggestion is probably the way to go. The system we have at work is from Extreme Networks, but is actually made by Motorola. When we rented some office space in a building across the road while our main building was being refurbished one access point could cover the whole of one floor of that building, with just one small dead spot, and part of the floor below, while in the main building it's difficult to get the same access points to cover more than a couple of rooms. The main building seems to have been built to survive a nuclear attack.

Also, what type of devices do you want to use this with? Things like 'phones tend to need a stronger signal than laptops, and some 'phones will drop the connection completely on a signal which will work with others. My HTC Wildfire S is just about unusable with the access point built into my home router unless it's in the same room, but I normally keep that access point turned off. Installed an Apple Airport Extreme last weekend to replace an old Netgear 802.11b only model which had died. The Airport extreme seems to work well, though I agree with you about the setup software, Airport Utility, would prefer a simple web interface. It says I cannot use the version of Airport Utility which I have, when I download a newer one it says I cannot use that with the version of the system software which I am running. The older Airport Utility does actually seem to work with it however.

The Airport Extreme has much better coverage; I have it on 50% at the moment and that's better than the old AP was on full power. To be honest, I doubt if you'll do better without moving to something much more expensive, multiple access points and/or external antennae.

The Extreme system at work is very expensive, but they do make a small access point which is the same size and shape, and fits in place of a standard American wallplate, it can also mount on top of a British one, but is not so neat. The idea is that you just pop the keystone jack out of the standard wallplate, connect it by a short cable provided to a socket on the back of the AP, and then fit the AP in place of the wallplate; should tale about a minute to fit and also provides an Ethernet port on the front, so you don't lose the one which was there previously. You can also get a module which fits into it to provide three additional wired ports if needed. We don't have any of these yet, but I borrowed one to test, and they're not bad, we will probably buy a few to fill in dead spots from the main APs. Unlike the main Extreme access points these can be used without the rack-mount controller.

One problem which I have found with any systems with multiple access points is that Android 'phones are very poor at moving from one AP to another. Mine will drop out for several seconds, sometimes longer, and occasionally needs Wi-Fi turned off and on again to make it pick up the new AP. Other people's Androids, of various models, seem to have the same problem. This is with Gingerbread, I haven't been able to try it with Ice Cream Sandwich yet (Who thinks up these silly names?)

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-29-2012 01:06 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been using one Airport Extreme for most smaller multiplexes (up to about 8 screens) and larger ones I can typically do it with 2 of them. I run in bridge mode and the transition is seamless.

I noticed the price came down on them to about $155 from $200, so this is suddenly a bit better value. I do prefer the fact the Cisco can export its settings to a file. This way I can import them to another box. I'm not aware of the Airport Extreme having that capability.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 07-29-2012 01:36 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is this for a business-critical function or a nice-to-have?

For business-critical use, you really should be looking at hardware that is designed for that purpose. I have used the Proxim AP-4000M and the Cisco Aironet 1140, both of which are "meshable" and work well. The Cisco unit has significantly better range. Either one is far better than the $39 Linksys or Netgear models that are typically sold for home use, as the price would reflect.

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-29-2012 01:53 PM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We use the Engenius EOC2611P Access Point at our place. It can either be set to use as an access point, or used as a wireless bridge. We use ours as a wireless bridge, which for us links the concession stand building to the ticket booth 350+ feet away. It essentially functions for us as a 350 foot network cable. I can pick up the signal (5 bars in strength) down at our marquee which is about 1/4 of a mile down the street from the theatre.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-29-2012 04:43 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Saw this on Reddit yesterday:

-

I also learned on Reddit that cordless phones cause interference. Change the frequency of the Wi-Fi or the phone and never have a cordless phone base near the Wi-Fi point.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 07-29-2012 05:06 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just bought a Netgear WNCE2001 from Best Buy for $49.00, I saw another tech using it for remote setup on a Christie CP2220. He claims it has plenty of range...I'll test it when I can and let y'all know. Newegg link

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 07-29-2012 07:51 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad,

What are you using it for? That is...is this for setting up theatres and YOU (or your techs) need a wireless accesspoint to align a system) or is for a permanent installation and you are trying to move movies or just control stuff about a complex without the need of Ethernet cables or fiber?

I've had relatively miserable long-term luck with low-end Linksys stuff though since I only use it for set up...it gets "rebooted" each time so it has worked for years for me and never a signal strength problem...even in very long cinemas.

Now I HAVE had good luck with a Linksys E3200...very fast and it has yet to glitch at home.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-30-2012 02:01 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
This is only for convenience. Nothing mission critical like moving content or device management. It is for things like being able to go into the auditorium to tweek focus from up close, etc.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 07-30-2012 05:59 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So the Range just needs to be the length of the auditorium? Damn, most anything should work.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 07-30-2012 11:59 AM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, the unit I posted will work great. And it is small and has no external antenna to break. [Smile]

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 07-30-2012 12:26 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used a TrendNet 456 for my installs. Very tiny, runs on either AC or USB power, and had enough range to handle things like what Brad mentioned.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-30-2012 02:06 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
No Steve, the building, not an auditorium.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: