Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Olympic opening ceremony.

Author Topic: Olympic opening ceremony.
Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 07-27-2012 03:42 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What do you think of it so far?

|  IP: Logged

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-27-2012 03:51 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yawn.

Not that it was any worse (or better) than any other Olympic opening, they are all boring.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 07-27-2012 04:22 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think I've ever seen another one.

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-27-2012 08:42 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I kept shouting "XANADU" during the drum sequence. Rowan Atkinson was the best part.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 07-27-2012 09:12 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hope the Blue Man Group got a royalty.

Here in the States, our American network talking heads did not stop talking. It probably was wonderful in other countries where they shut up. Louis

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-27-2012 11:44 PM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As I viewed it on NBC CH 4 in NYC, it was a mashup of documentary film footage, "live" edited footage shot earlier because of time zone differences, and brief commentary. That confused and disappointed me at first, but was part of our multimedia, non-linear age where everything is happening simultaneasly. So despite a slow start and a social-studies- textbook depiction of agrarian and manufacturing eras in U.K. history, I sat back and enjoyed it.

The presentation included not only what was going on in the Olympic Stadium, but via airborn cameras, all of London,its environs, and beyond. But when the action entered the stadium, there were so many activities, light shows, fireworks, etc.,
that it was like a dozen three-ring circuses at once--excess or overkill.

I have been viewing lots of beautiful PBS programs on the royal family and E.R.II the last couple of months, and noted the queen's smiling demeanor at the start of the James Bond skit.
But after the pretense of her entering the stadium by parachuting from a helicopter, her face showed fierce anger and disapproval, unrelieved until the finale.

I wondered why, in the procession of athletes, each flagbearer was partnered with a longhaired young woman carrying a bronze bowl. Most carried as if shlepping a shissel to assist a midwife, but the bearer with the Brittish delegation bore hers ceremoniously with two uplifted white-gloved hands. Only at the lighting of the torch was it revealed that these bowls spread the flame in a circle igniting the conflagration of 200 torches--"e pluribus unim" style.

I wondered whether those in the stadium seats missed the many closeups afforded the TV audience, as I didn't notice any giant screens in the arena. I was amazed by the fireworks spectacular,and the use of stadium electronic visual displays.

I really wished I had a state-of-the art huge flatscreen TV,
as my 26 inch Sony seemed too small to encompass all that was to be enjoyed.

Paul Rousseas
Film Handler

- posted 07-28-2012 01:07 PM      Profile for Paul Rousseas   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Rousseas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Everyone please check what an opening ceremony should be...

Athens 2004 Olympic Games Opening Ceremony (from Youtube)

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 07-28-2012 01:35 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
amazed by how many people don't know how to use a camera - using the flash from 500 yards! [Smile]

Found it cool, maybe a little too long, and the Queen looked like she woke up during her everning nap to quickly dress up and go to the ceremony!

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-28-2012 01:51 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Mr. Bean

Pretty funny. [thumbsup]

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 07-28-2012 06:06 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No longer available due to a copyright claim by the IOC. It's still on the BBC site, starting at 50 minutes, but I'm not sure if that's available from the US.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/2012/live-video/p00wm0br

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 07-29-2012 07:41 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The baby WAS creepy.......

Mark Hajducki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-29-2012 08:46 AM      Profile for Mark Hajducki   Email Mark Hajducki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder what contingency plans they for wet weather.

Outdoor events in the UK have a fairly high level of risk associated with them. The South East of the country has gone from hose pipe bans to flood warnings in recent months.

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 07-29-2012 03:05 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ERII did look a little out of sorts about something, not the composed royal countenance we're so used to seeing. But after all, she did just jump out of a helicopter.

One of the countless memes that have flooded the webspace in the last few hours suggested that she may have been promised a ride in a TARDIS instead of a mere helicopter. Missing out on something like that would have been enough to put me in a bit of a dour mood.

I love big spectacular productions, and this one paid off big in all ways. Congratulations to Danny Boyle for pulling off this rather cinematic vision as a live (mostly) theatrical performance. Well done sir!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: