Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Most of Hawaii is without ABC TV programming (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Most of Hawaii is without ABC TV programming
Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 07-11-2012 05:38 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Due to a financial dispute between KITV the Hawaii affiliate of ABC Television and Oceanic the local cable provider owned by Time Warner, most of Hawaii's television viewers are not receiving programing from that station and the ABC network. There were negotiations before the shutdown between the TV station and Time-Warner but it went into a stalemate resulting in the shut down. Because KITV sends signals to all the major island and Oceanic provides service statewide, the entire state is affected. Beside Oceanic, Time Warner also owns several other cable outlets on the mainland and the dispute also include Boston, Portland, Main, Winston Salem,N.C., Lincoln, Neb., Louisville, Ky., Cincinnati, New York and Kansas City, Mo.

I am an Oceanic Cable subscriber but because I use my television to watch movies on Blu-Ray and DVDs most evenings, I have not been affected by the shutdown.

-Claude

|  IP: Logged

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 07-11-2012 10:28 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am in Louisville. Our local cable: Insight/Time/Warner has tossed the local CBS affiliate WLKY. Currently we are getting WROC Rochester NY, which is CBS.

Kinda nice seeing lawyer ads from another area. Some good, some bad. (Is it obvious by now that there are only 3 news consultants in the country. Even the voice overs are the same. Graphics and sensational stories, too. Must be a news "package." Louis

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 07-12-2012 12:14 AM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DirecTV recently went through the same BS with one of our local affiliate stations. They finally got it back on the air a few weeks after the blackout.

EDIT: In fact, just saw on our local news that Viacom has pulled ALL of their channels (SpikeTV, BET, Comedy Central, etc a total of 28 channels) off DirecTV over a fee dispute.... [Mad]

With the ridiculous rates we have to pay for satellite and cable service, there is no excuse for this kind of thing to be happening. But of course the FCC has been deballed to the point they are useless, so no chance of help or regulation there. [Roll Eyes]

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-12-2012 01:34 AM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My local ABC affiliate is on VHF and usually doesn't come in- I don't miss it [Razz]

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-14-2012 08:04 PM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The answer - an antenna. Then you get your local stations for FREE (and with a better looking picture than on cable or sat). Tell cable and sat that they are over priced, and kick them out of your house. [sex]

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 07-14-2012 09:26 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah! I often get telemarketing calls from Dish Network saying, "We guarantee we can beat your cable TV bill." My answer is, "No, you can't." When they ask how much my bill is, I answer, "Zero!"

There's usually silence on the other end... [Wink]

Right now, I get twelve channels over the air with an antenna on the roof. When the weather is right I can get two or three more. If you count the tree channels of televangelist that's 18 channels, totally for free.

I hope this blackout in Hawaii drags on for a good, long time. That will teach the networks and the cable companies that people really don't care and, hopefully they'll learn that over the air broadcast is the way to go.

Ron Funderburg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-14-2012 09:30 PM      Profile for Ron Funderburg   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Funderburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hate TV waist of time.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 07-14-2012 10:24 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
^^^ How are its hips, though?

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 07-14-2012 11:48 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
KITV, our ABC affiliate is still out and it looks like a settlement is a long way off. The company that owns the station as well as the others on the mainland I had mentioned wants a three hundred percent increase in fees and Time-Warner is not willing to pay and I do not blame them. I have watched all the episodes of WEST WING, LOST, GRAYS ANATHOMY and PRIVATE PRACTICE but never when it aired. Like many series on other network I enjoy, I have viewed all my favorite ABC shows on either DVD or Blu-Ray. The only programs I watch on over the air TV is emergency broadcast such as last years tsunami alert from the Japanese earthquake, Academy Awards, night time Emmy awards and Turner Classic Movie when there is a good movie on. Because I get almost all my entertainment from a home video source, I will never miss broadcast shows on cable when greedy television station owners would try to extort unreasonable fees from cable TV providers.

-Claude

Jeff Taylor
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-15-2012 11:10 AM      Profile for Jeff Taylor   Email Jeff Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Claude: Do you have any satellite programming in Hawaii? I know I have seen satellite feeds on cruise ships in the Islands, so there must be something as an alternative to Time Warner.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 07-15-2012 02:15 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes we do, Jeff,
DirectTV serves Hawaii with satellite service.

-Claude

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 07-15-2012 03:06 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Might be time to get the dish Claude. Overall I have found DirecTv's service (technical) to be great. Their customer service is variable at best though (Billing problems mainly) but once you're set up and running you shouldn't have to have any contact with them.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 07-15-2012 04:30 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tony, no disrespect intended but you must not have read my comments I had posted carefully when I said I prefer watching movies on Blu-Ray and DVDs on my HDTV than network and regular television programs.

I have heard DirectTV is good but someone told me once how bad weather can screw up the reception during severe storms. is that true?

-Claude

Jeff Stricker
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-16-2012 07:30 AM      Profile for Jeff Stricker   Email Jeff Stricker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If there is heavy rain in the path between the satellite and your receiving dish, the signal can be interrupted. It doesn't happen often and usually lasts only a few minutes.

Jeff Taylor
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-16-2012 07:54 AM      Profile for Jeff Taylor   Email Jeff Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have Directv in both my houses and am very happy with it. As Jeff says there are occasional weather related outages, but for very brief periods. I got it because I couldn't be bothered to remember two channel lineups, but also appreciate that when the power does go out, the Directv comes right back when my generator kicks in. Give it some consideration.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: