Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » The sun = evil (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: The sun = evil
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-11-2012 02:36 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
And people always say I don't look 42. That's what working in booths for your entire life away from the sun will do to you. [Cool]

Link to article

quote:

Shocking Proof That the Sun Makes You Age Prematurely

This guy is 69 years old, but half of his face looks much, much older than that. He was a trucker and, for 28 years, his face received much more sunlight on the left side, resulting on premature aging.

We all knew that being exposed to the sun makes you age prematurely, but seeing the dramatic difference in a single face is just stunning.

His condition is called unilateral dermatoheliosis, from the Greek dermis and helios, skin and sun. It's also called photoaging, and it results from chronic exposure to the sun's UVA and UVB rays. In his case, it only affected the left side of his face because of his work. As he drove, he received much many hours of sunlight through the left window of his vehicle.

The case was discovered and studied by Jennifer R.S. Gordon and Joaquin C. Brieva, dermatologists at Northwestern University, and published in the New England Journal of Medicine:

A 69-year-old man presented with a 25-year history of gradual, asymptomatic thickening and wrinkling of the skin on the left side of his face. The physical examination showed hyperkeratosis with accentuated ridging, multiple open comedones, and areas of nodular elastosis. Histopathological analysis showed an accumulation of elastolytic material in the dermis and the formation of milia within the vellus hair follicles. Findings were consistent with the Favre–Racouchot syndrome of photodamaged skin, known as dermatoheliosis.

The patient reported that he had driven a delivery truck for 28 years. Ultraviolet A (UVA) rays transmit through window glass, penetrating the epidermis and upper layers of dermis. Chronic UVA exposure can result in thickening of the epidermis and stratum corneum, as well as destruction of elastic fibers. This photoaging effect of UVA is contrasted with photocarcinogenesis.

Since UVB and UVA can cause DNA mutations leading to skin cancer, the doctors recommended their patient to use sun protection and topical retinoids, as well as periodic monitoring for the apparition of skin cancer.

As the summer starts, this is a perfect reminder of the negative effects of excessive suntanning. If the risk of skin cancer is not enough for you, perhaps knowing that the sun will accelerate your ageing by a decade or two will stop you from being careless. Remember, if you are going to be exposed to the sun in any way—even if you are not at the beach or a swimming pool—use protection. [NEJM]

-

|  IP: Logged

Melanie Loggins
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-11-2012 09:03 AM      Profile for Melanie Loggins   Author's Homepage   Email Melanie Loggins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've known it was evil since I was 9 and the first time I got sunburned I got blisters. Stupid pale skin. Stupid burning ball in the sky. I might as well run a movie theatre because I'm going to be hiding inside anyway. The summer weather is so "nice"? No. It's not. It's hot and it's trying to give us cancer and wrinkles.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 06-11-2012 11:45 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Guess I'll go get my 29 year old unmarried daughter out of the tanning bed. Louis

Jim Henk
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-11-2012 11:52 AM      Profile for Jim Henk   Email Jim Henk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have visions of a nefarious villain torturing our hero: "Minion, put him in the tanning bed... Tell me where the Uranium is! Or I will prematurely age you! Bwaa ha haaa!"

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 06-11-2012 12:06 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As probably the only tourist in the history of Ireland to get a sunburn, I have avoided the sun since we moved from Hawaii in 1970.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 06-11-2012 04:58 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Question: isn't glass supposed to filter out UV due to it's higher frequency, yet allow low freq IR to pass through?

Don't cuss out the sun, for being out it in moderation, is actually very healthy for you... (but, who knows about moderation anyway - seems society likes tanned skinned people, which in a way, puts skin in a horrible trauma), thus wear a hat when outside and protect the skin.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-11-2012 05:43 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Damn I'm so glad I don't generally like being outside for extended periods. But then why do the old people who used to work in the booth always look ancient beyond rival? My guess is that they used to work on farms or some such. Or maybe they got too much sun while picketing theaters.

quote: Brad Miller
And people always say I don't look 42.
You're 42, huh? I guess you are. The last time I asked your age you were also telling me the ages of Dwayne and Jeremy and you replied with "I'm the old fart at 28".

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-11-2012 05:57 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, these days 28 IS an old fart so he was at least half right.

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 06-11-2012 06:16 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe says.

"Or maybe they got too much sun while picketing theaters".

That's a mighty funny in a mean sort of way. Couldn't help LOL though.

I think the correct answer is smoking in the booth from sheer boredom.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 06-11-2012 06:28 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or from adding cue marks... [Wink]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-11-2012 07:11 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Sam D. Chavez
I think the correct answer is smoking in the booth from sheer boredom.
Ah yes, I didn't even think about that.

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-11-2012 08:07 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have wondered why people tell me I don't look my age. Now I think I can credit booth and theatre work for that. My photo on the left is about 2 years old. I turned 80 this past April.

Sean Weitzel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-11-2012 09:19 PM      Profile for Sean Weitzel   Email Sean Weitzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And I look exactly like my 37 year old lumberjack self. Brad will you ever instate a rule where we have to keep our profile pictures current? Mine is only a year old but your shirt and tie pic there makes you look no more than a day over 39! [Cool] *

* maybe 25 in that photo? just a guess?? you still look very much the same when I last saw you in Jan 2010.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-11-2012 10:54 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd bet that Brad is 38 or 39 in his current picture.

This is Brad when he was younger:

-
Text = not mine

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-11-2012 11:47 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I see Joe is dredging up old Phil Hill pics again.

RIP Phil. You will never be forgotten on this board. [Wink]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: